Quick Input On Rex From A Native New Yorker

Kurtzyy

I've seen every Jets game during Rex's tenure in NY. I don't have Direct TV so I didn't have Sunday Ticket. Now I have streams, but I was stuck with the local games for a while. Here's my thoughts on Rex.

What he did in in his first two seasons is remarkable. Sanchez, a rookie QB, and Rex, a rookie coach, went to the AFC title game in back to back years. The offense was great with Thomas Jones at RB. When he left and Shonn Greene had to take the bulk, everything went downhill except the defense. While the defense remained elite, the offense struggled without an elite RB (Jones was elite for that time). There has also been huge mishaps by both GMs Tannebaum and Idzick, such as drafting Stephen Hill ahead of Alshon Jeffrey and never seeing eye to eye with Rex.

Let's say Rex becomes coach of the Falcons. We don't have anything close to an elite RB. However, we have two starts in Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. We know that at their best, they can take over a game and we have seen that before. We have seen Matt Ryan take this team to the NFC title game once and the playoffs almost on a yearly basis. The two times Rex was in the playoffs? He got to back to back title games. Matt did it without a SHRED of a defense. The most we could call our defense is opportunistic at best. Rex knows how to get the most out of his players. That's a fact and it's evident in the film and locker room. While he will be working with lesser talent, he will have the upper hand in having a say on draft day. Believe me on that. When Rex wants a player, he will get him. Dimitroff can't afford another blunder and a new GM would arrive AFTER a new coach gets here. If that new coach is Rex, be prepared for a defensive overhaul in FA and on draft day.

There will be people that don't want Rex because of everything that happened after his second year. He never made playoffs again and the team has looked completely dismal at times. I'm not saying that this coach will save the franchise. I'm not saying that those years are to be ignored as if they didn't happen. However, there is no ignoring that Jets fans wanted him to remain coach. They wanted Idzick fired. So many Jets fans wanted Rex to stay and that says something.

There are intriguing candidates out there from Bowles to Gase and so on. But I want someone that I won't have doubts about. I want Rex.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a coach who understands defense is not about "defending." It's about attacking the offense. Rex knows there is too much field to "defend," and getting aggressive with another team is the best defense.

Our offense will sorta take care of itself for awhile the way it's been built. As long as we have Matt AND AND AND a decent Oline, our offense will move. We need a new aggressive defensive mentality.

I've seen every Jets game during Rex's tenure in NY. I don't have Direct TV so I didn't have Sunday Ticket. Now I have streams, but I was stuck with the local games for a while. Here's my thoughts on Rex.

What he did in in his first two seasons is remarkable. Sanchez, a rookie QB, and Rex, a rookie coach, went to the AFC title game in back to back years. The offense was great with Thomas Jones at RB. When he left and Shonn Greene had to take the bulk, everything went downhill except the defense. While the defense remained elite, the offense struggled without an elite RB (Jones was elite for that time). There has also been huge mishaps by both GMs Tannebaum and Idzick, such as drafting Stephen Hill ahead of Alshon Jeffrey and never seeing eye to eye with Rex.

Let's say Rex becomes coach of the Falcons. We don't have anything close to an elite RB. However, we have two starts in Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. We know that at their best, they can take over a game and we have seen that before. We have seen Matt Ryan take this team to the NFC title game once and the playoffs almost on a yearly basis. The two times Rex was in the playoffs? He got to back to back title games. Matt did it without a SHRED of a defense. The most we could call our defense is opportunistic at best. Rex knows how to get the most out of his players. That's a fact and it's evident in the film and locker room. While he will be working with lesser talent, he will have the upper hand in having a say on draft day. Believe me on that. When Rex wants a player, he will get him. Dimitroff can't afford another blunder and a new GM would arrive AFTER a new coach gets here. If that new coach is Rex, be prepared for a defensive overhaul in FA and on draft day.

There will be people that don't want Rex because of everything that happened after his second year. He never made playoffs again and the team has looked completely dismal at times. I'm not saying that this coach will save the franchise. I'm not saying that those years are to be ignored as if they didn't happen. However, there is no ignoring that Jets fans wanted him to remain coach. They wanted Idzick fired. So many Jets fans wanted Rex to stay and that says something.

There are intriguing candidates out there from Bowles to Gase and so on. But I want someone that I won't have doubts about. I want Rex.

Your thoughts?

Consigned. Rexie and Gurlie to Atlantie. Where ya at Bawse?!

We will have to use a 1st on Gurley. I think a Seattle team would probably take him late 1st.

8 is way to high to take him coming off an ACL injury, no RB has gone first round in the past 2 drafts so I'm assuming the same thing is going to happen, in the second you should have your pick of what back you want.

Your thoughts?

Nice post and he!! yeah Rex is my pick Edited by falconcrest58

8 is way to high to take him coming off an ACL injury, no RB has gone first round in the past 2 drafts so I'm assuming the same thing is going to happen, in the second you should have your pick of what back you want.

I agree 8 is way too high, which is why I only agree with a Gurley selection under a trade down scenario. I'd be fine as long as we picked up at least a 2nd round pick.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for your "insider" input on him. I respect what you're saying and it adds weight to my growing conviction that Rex Ryan would not just be an excellent HC to follow Mike Smith, he might be the HC who has the charisma, the coaching ability, the in-game tactical acumen as well as the excellent player evaluation skills to get this team to a Super Bowl and get a trophy.

My concern is not only a circus that will wear thin over time, but his indifference to offense. I do not want to return to a Mike Mularkey style offense that's just ground and pound when we have a WCO QB that thrives in the no-huddle. I want more of an offense that the Pats, Broncos are using, or what Kubiak introduced to Baltimore.

Don't get me wrong, I want a powerful run game, I just want a coach who will bring an innovative offense. I don't see Rex doing that. I could be wrong.

Just speaking generally, but the same excuses you give Rex you could say about Smith. Also it seems like their successes the first couple of years parallel with having a strong running game

I know about the difference in QBs between the Falcons and the Jets, but there is also a big difference in what they each had on D. You could say that Smith has had a better run with our QB than Ryan has had with their D