Falcons Coaching Choice Pattern

Striker42

There is an Italian expression that goes "After a fat pope, a lean pope." It refers to the tendency of the Catholic Church of picking a pope that is the opposite of the prior pope. I'm wondering if we'll see the same with our next coach. We do have a history of it under Blank.

Dan Reeves was an established, respected, long time head coach. He was also an offensive guy. He gets fired and they bring in Jim Mora who is younger, flashier, and has no head coaching experience. Mora was a defensive guy.

Mora was well liked by his players but really never commanded their respect. So they fire him and hire Bobby Petrino. Petrino was, to put it lightly, a harsh and unlikable head coach. He was also supposed to be a brilliant offensive guy.

Petrino runs out in the middle of the night. Their next head coach is Mike Smith. Smith is far more likable and stable than Petrino. He wasn't a flashy choice but he was a solid one. He was also a defensive guy.

Now that Smith has been fired, I'm wondering if we'll go in the opposite direction again.

If we choose an Anti-Smith, he'll be a younger, up and coming offensive mind. Someone who is viewed as potentially the next great head coach. It'll be a trade stability for potential. He'd also be someone with a reputation of innovation.

The two guys who fit that bill are McDaniels and Gase. Both are young (both in their 30's). Both are highly respected for their offensive playcalling prowess. Both are risky picks but with great potential. McDaniels failed with the Broncos but is still viewed as a future head coach if he learned from his mistakes there. Gase has no experience running a program but is still seen as a potentially great coach.

So if our pattern of coaching choices under Blank is any guide, these guys are the most likely candidates.

I thought about trends last night as well

If you look at Korn Ferry and the last couple high profile football coaching spots they have helped fill, (Texans, Chiefs, and UOT Longhorns) all had one thing in common, prior head coaching experience.

This would come down to two candidates, Rex Ryan and Josh McDaniels

I used to be down on McDaniels but after looking at his history last night online its impressive. Yes he flamed out in Denver but I think he may have learned from that. He didn't do great in St. Louis but they said he would not be in charge of personal decisions. He has also never had a good QB. If you also look at the core defense in Denver he left it wasn't to shabby.

Rex Ryan on the other hand also has never had a really good qb to help his great defenses. I think he could come in and do great things here as well. I think Rex would do good at his second go round.

Edited by weezy01212

If you look at Korn Ferry and the last couple high profile football coaching spots they have helped fill, (Texans, Chiefs, and UOT Longhorns) all had one thing in common, prior head coaching experience.

I used to be down on McDaniels but after looking at his history last night online its impressive. Yes he flamed out in Denver but I think he may have learned from that. He didn't do great in St. Louis but they said he would not be in charge of personal decisions. He has also never had a good QB. If you also look at the core defense in Denver he left it wasn't to shabby.

Rex Ryan on the other hand also has never had a really good qb to help his great defenses. I think he could come in and do great things here as well. I think Rex would do good at his second go round.

Say what you want about McDaniels but he did have the good sense to dump Cutler...

There is an Italian expression that goes "After a fat pope, a lean pope." It refers to the tendency of the Catholic Church of picking a pope that is the opposite of the prior pope. I'm wondering if we'll see the same with our next coach. We do have a history of it under Blank.

Dan Reeves was an established, respected, long time head coach. He was also an offensive guy. He gets fired and they bring in Jim Mora who is younger, flashier, and has no head coaching experience. Mora was a defensive guy.

Mora was well liked by his players but really never commanded their respect. So they fire him and hire Bobby Petrino. Petrino was, to put it lightly, a harsh and unlikable head coach. He was also supposed to be a brilliant offensive guy.

Petrino runs out in the middle of the night. Their next head coach is Mike Smith. Smith is far more likable and stable than Petrino. He wasn't a flashy choice but he was a solid one. He was also a defensive guy.

Now that Smith has been fired, I'm wondering if we'll go in the opposite direction again.

If we choose an Anti-Smith, he'll be a younger, up and coming offensive mind. Someone who is viewed as potentially the next great head coach. It'll be a trade stability for potential. He'd also be someone with a reputation of innovation.

The two guys who fit that bill are McDaniels and Gase. Both are young (both in their 30's). Both are highly respected for their offensive playcalling prowess. Both are risky picks but with great potential. McDaniels failed with the Broncos but is still viewed as a future head coach if he learned from his mistakes there. Gase has no experience running a program but is still seen as a potentially great coach.

So if our pattern of coaching choices under Blank is any guide, these guys are the most likely candidates.

This is not just a Falcons thing.... It's an NFL thing.

Is it illegal to rock two head coaches? Lol.

Blank has the money. Just give me both 5 million

This is not just a Falcons thing.... It's an NFL thing.

I think it's kind of a human thing. If one thing doesn't work out for you, try the opposite. I was just struck at how pronounced it was with the Falcons under Blank. Even to the point of shifting back and forth between offensive and defensive guys.

I'd put my money on the next guy being an offensive mind. I know the defense is probably a bigger problem but I think they identify it as a personnel issue. I think they'll see the offense as the strength of the team (it is) and try to get someone who will turn our offense into something like the Saints or Green Bay.

David Shaw from Stanford might fit the bill, maybe. I think I'd rather see a college HC over an NFL assistant. Assistants can't always make the transition to head coach because many of them tend to be micromanagers. The best head coaches let his assistants do their job without breathing down their neck. Find us a college HC who isn't afraid to delegate.

I would love to see Nick Saban come to Atlanta and I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility even probability given the Belichick ties and TD and Pioli in the front office. I just think he would bring the smash mouth brand of football we need with a power running game and good defense. To me it would be the most slam dunk hire we could make of coaches that could be available.

Edited by autigerfan

Todd Bowles has had head coaching experience as an interim coach, and he's defensive minded. Blank wants defense. He made that inexplicably obvious.

Is Mcdaniels going to bring Gronk with him? McDaniels loves pass catching TE's....And we don't have any. Tolioli stinks..Not a fan of Mcdaniels. Just sayin. However, Im not opposed to giving a coach that failed previously a 2nd chance.(Kubiak).People tend to forget, Belichek stunk up the joint his 1st time around..

This is what Blank does.

While the successful owners in the league conceive concrete action plans based on longstanding philosophies and then establish clear chains of command to implement them, Blank continues to simply stick a wet finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing, taking counsel from any number of paid consultants along the way. In other words, good owners act, Blank reacts.

This is how you own a sports franchise for 14 seasons and still be no closer to a Super Bowl than the first day you arrived in town.

As I've said elsewhere on the site, a lot of people seem to be wanting us to get a defense guy because our defense is so abysmal but my feeling is that we should go with one of the bright young offensive minds and let him develop a good working relationship with Matt Ryan kind of like what Payton and Brees have in New Orleans. He can hire a good DC and just leave that part of it alone for the most part. That's my feeling as to what will be successful but who knows what AB is thinking.