Dirk Eyed By Division Rival

Tribal Chief

The Falcons have not yet released offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter from his contract. If/when they do, **** likely find interest in his services elsewhere.

Per a league source, the Buccaneers have interest in hiring Koetter to fill the void created when Jeff Tedford developed a heart ailment just before the start of the season.

The Falcons understandably have retained the staff in the event the new coach prefers continuity. While the Falcons were 6-10, the offense has been productive. A defensive-minded head coach may want to keep Koetter and others in place.

Meanwhile, Bucs quarterback Josh McCown has chimed in regarding the vacancy that doomed Tampa Bays season, lobbying (sort of) for former Bears coach Marc Trestman, via JoeBucsFan.com.

I think Marcs an outstanding coach and a great offensive mind, McCown said. In regards to here? Yeah, I would keep that conversation between Lovie and I, but I just think Marc is an outstanding coach and an outstanding person, and has a great sense of offensive football, especially quarterback play. I just know, for me personally, I played the best football of my career under him.

Just as Ive been around, like you said, a bunch of different [offensive coordinators] in my career, Hes probably one of the most detailed, as just with our gameplan and stuff like that, I really felt like was on top of it.

McCown had a great run in 2013 while Jay Cutler was injured, throwing 13 touchdown passes and one interception, and ultimately winning NFC offensive player of the week recognition for a Monday night thrashing of the Cowboys before being sent back to the bench.

Koetter spent five seasons with the Jaguars before joining the Falcons in 2012. He could also generate some interest from the Raiders, if Jack Del Rio ends up getting the coaching job there. Del Rio brought Koetter to the NFL in 2007, and in their first year together they earned Jacksonvilles most recent playoff berth.

If the Bucs hire Koetter, some of you are going to be highly disappointed. He isn't the problem on this team, and he never has been. He's WAY better than most here give him credit for.

He's not perfect, and I have my disagreements with him too (going to the screen too much, abandoning the run, misuse of RB talent by running Quizz and Freeman up the middle and Jackson on sweeps). But overall he's a very good offensive mind. And the Bucs have a ton of talent. If they get Koetter and a QB, they could be a thorn in our side for years to come.

Now, if they want Nolan…...

I think he is a much better OC than TATF gives him credit for. The biggest rap on him here is that he does not run the ball enough, but I think he would with a more physical O line and better RB stable.

SJax was OK, but too many injurys and under performing. Give him a road grading RT and center and true feature back I think he could roll. I have been unhappy with his play calling at times.

If the Bucs hire Koetter, some of you are going to be highly disappointed. He isn't the problem on this team, and he never has been. He's WAY better than most here give him credit for.

He's not perfect, and I have my disagreements with him too (going to the screen too much, abandoning the run, misuse of RB talent by running Quizz and Freeman up the middle and Jackson on sweeps). But overall he's a very good offensive mind. And the Bucs have a ton of talent. If they get Koetter and a QB, they could be a thorn in our side for years to come.

I'd take out the "very" but other than that, I agree. Koetter is a good solid OC.

I hate that we don't run the ball and his route trees seem to be insanity.

Remember when he went to more traditional stuff and Julio murdered Peterson and the Packers?

Why the **** wasn't he doing that the whole time? He just seems to be another "cutesie" type guy.

My problem with koetter is that it seems the game plan is the same regardless of the opponent. I don't know if that's a result of poor o line play or not. But at sme point you have to realize if the run is working you stick with it until they stop it. We have one play call that works to score a TD and it's the little shovel

This is what I got out of this...

I think Marcs an outstanding coach and a great offensive mind, McCown said. In regards to here? Yeah, I would keep that conversation between Lovie and I, but I just think Marc is an outstanding coach and an outstanding person, and has a great sense of offensive football, especially quarterback play. I just know, for me personally, I played the best football of my career under him.

Trestman for OC

That would be great! Teams knew what we were running before the snap every game.

This is a big problem with Koetter. His offense has never kept defenses on their heels and having to react. Opposing defenses are just way too comfortable out there and have way too often been able to dictate how things are going to go.

But my absolute biggest problem with Koetter is the fact that he doesn't adapt his play calling to the talent he has. He was out there calling plays as if we had a top notch O-line instead of one full of holes. His struggles using Freeman and Rodgers are well documented. And I get the feeling that he has no idea how to take the best advantage of Julio's abilities.

The best coordinators adapt their playbooks to their talent. If they have holes they use their play calls to minimize that weakness and to accentuate their strengths. Koetter has no clue how to do this. He calls his plays and relies on the talent he has to be able to do it.

The only reason our offense has been as good as it has been the last couple of years is because of our talent. There aren't many teams out there with a franchise QB and a receiver like Julio on one side and White on the other.That talent makes plays in spite of Koetter, not because of him.

I hate that we don't run the ball and his route trees seem to be insanity.

This is one of his many problems! We need a new Offensive coordinator! Trust me! 3 points vs the bears defense in the 1st half home? Please! He is not that good or innovative. He like Legendary said. He is the epitome of "MEH"

This is one of his many problems! We need a new Offensive coordinator! Trust me! 3 points vs the bears defense in the 1st half home? Please! He is not that good or innovative. He like Legendary said. He is the epitome of "MEH"

My main point in replacing a guy is " how likely is it the next guy is worse".

With Koetter and this team I dont think we could do worse. Our offense could run with no one at the head.

But there's DEFINITELY a huge chance another guy is much better. Our offense is a RB away from being on broncos/patriots/Packers level of explosiveness. I dont want to settle on good enough. I want to be feared.

Agree 110 percent

Koetter is a good OC but i think there are better offensive coordinators out there. Koetter had two pro bowl receivers, a hall of fame tight end, and a good QB to his advantage but there were some games where we looked like garbage on offense. If the Falcons retain him it wouldn't be a bad thing because Matt Ryan already has a good relationship with him, but the organization needs to look around the league before making the decision to retain him.