Not Drafting Pass Rushers - Did Blank Blame Smitty/nolan?

Sandy5prings

Towards the end of the presser today, did anyone else notice Arthur Blank blaming the lack of pass rush on Smitty and Mike Nolan?

For those that did not see the presser, here's the link to the video

Fast forward to around the 58 min mark

Referring to the 2014 free agent/draft period and not getting pass rushers:

What Arthur said was something like

"Thomas felt strongly that we needed pass rushers but Smitty and Mike Nolan said they wanted to beef up the interior D-Line and Thomas supported that process"

Dimitroff chimed in as well by saying "No GM wants to force players on the coaching staff. I had the final call but the input was primarily from Smitty/Nolan" or something to that effect

Whatever their faults, TD and definitely Mr.Blank are men of integrity and aren't going to make things up.

This still doesn't excuse TD for his failings but it definitely adds better context.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At some stage we gotta stop pointing fingers and get on with it.

This is all thats going on at the moment he said she said.

Move on.

No, this is actually kinda important.

Lack of pass rush is the biggest gap between this team and a Superbowl.

It makes a big difference if TD did not make the primary call on not getting pass rushers

No, this is actually kinda important.

Lack of pass rush is the biggest gap between this team and a Superbowl.

It makes a big difference if TD did not make the primary call on not getting pass rushers

Its not important its in the past its done what can we do about it now it looks as though TD has survived by the skin of his teeth.

Fans keeping on rehashing coulda woulda shoulda is a waste of time.

Lets talk the future man the season is over I gave it the 24 hour treatment now i've forgotten and my eyes are back on the horizon.

They coukdve just got Soliai and hit a pass rusher.

Well we could have STILL gotten a pass rusher with everyone we signed..... if they wanted to go into cap ****.

Listening to the press conference today I full expect to see pass rushers be the very first thing on our list . And fortunately we should have a lot of space to do so.

I expect us to hit the pass rusher market with a vengeance .

I would have been ok with scheming a pass rush .......if we ACTUALLY schemed it............which is not something we did at all

Well we could have STILL gotten a pass rusher with everyone we signed..... if they wanted to go into cap ****.

Listening to the press conference today I full expect to see pass rushers be the very first thing on our list . And fortunately we should have a lot of space to do so.

I expect us to hit the pass rusher market with a vengeance .

I would have been ok with scheming a pass rush .......if we ACTUALLY schemed it............which is not something we did at all

Yea I think we definitely load up pass rushers. I really want Rex man. I think he just brings the attitude and character we need. When I heard Smitty talk he never moved me. And I liked Smitty. But his motivational talks were flat and never seems to know what to say. He was a good coach but the team out grew him.

Yea I think we definitely load up pass rushers. I really want Rex man. I think he just brings the attitude and character we need. When I heard Smitty talk he never moved me. And I liked Smitty. But his motivational talks were flat and never seems to know what to say. He was a good coach but the team out grew him.

I dunno man .. I am not sold on Rex...... but IF that is the route we go I am going to support it............. I would rather have him than Gase or McDaniel....

If he promises to bring Revis with him I would be down for Rex!! ;)

Towards the end of the presser today, did anyone else notice Arthur Blank blaming the lack of pass rush on Smitty and Mike Nolan?

For those that did not see the presser, here's the link to the video

Fast forward to around the 58 min mark

Referring to the 2014 free agent/draft period and not getting pass rushers:

What Arthur said was something like

"Thomas felt strongly that we needed pass rushers but Smitty and Mike Nolan said they wanted to beef up the interior D-Line and Thomas supported that process"

Dimitroff chimed in as well by saying "No GM wants to force players on the coaching staff. I had the final call but the input was primarily from Smitty/Nolan" or something to that effect

Whatever their faults, TD and definitely Mr.Blank are men of integrity and aren't going to make things up.

This still doesn't excuse TD for his failings but it definitely adds better context.

Nobody wants to hear this because all these years, posters have hung their hats on Smith is so great because he won with TD's terrible picks! Ooops! These picks were actually pick either made or encouraged by the coaching staff

I dunno man .. I am not sold on Rex...... but IF that is the route we go I am going to support it............. I would rather have him than Gase or McDaniel....

Will Revis be a FA again? I think we need a real defensive minded coach. Gase or McDaniel won't fix that defense. Rex will. We already have a Ferrari on offense. Now we need muscle on D.

If he promises to bring Revis with him I would be down for Rex!! wink.png

Thats me too Bro whoever we get I'm going to get behind the guy.

Rex will be tough get for us as i reckon Chicago will be going hard for him aswell.

Will Revis be a FA again? I think we need a real defensive minded coach. Gase or McDaniel won't fix that defense. Rex will. We already have a Ferrari on offense. Now we need muscle on D.

This. Rex is the perfect candidate, Tru will be his Revis, and i think he´s the kind of coach who will attract guys in FA to play in his defense

Todd Bowles will too...Rex would definately put butts in the seats at stadium also, and considering his brother coaches NO, would make headliners and ticket sales (fulfilling Arthur's needs as well as our D)

man if we can get Graham orJerry Hughes, Revis, Vic Beasley or Shane Ray I might actually think they are serious about helping the defense. Still need a LG and RT