Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dharma Initiative

Tom Brady Restructures Contract Again To Help Patriots

It will free up $24 million for them to spend elsewhere. Brady only gets the money if injured.

OK Matty Ice, take notes and be a team player

You know Brady's days in the league are numbered, so I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this.

I made a big deal about this when Matt signed his contract and almost everyone thought I was crazy. I said Matt should take less with the explicit direction that the difference goes to the OL. People acted like I was a freaking communist. To me it's just smart business.

Matt would be FAR more successful if he had better protection. Not only would the team go farther (which would ultimately make Ryan worth more), it would also extend Ryan's career, which would ALSO make him more money. In case anybody didn't notice yesterday in the dome vs. Last week in NOLA, Ryan plays...uhhh...a little better when not constantly pressured.

So the bottom line is this. Matt got his money. His agent got his money. And we got the OL we deserve. Or at least the one Matt Ryan deserves.

And he gained some PR points. Must be nice.

Yup... Not knocking the guy but people want to sanctify him as being selfless. He's a business man first. Take less now, make more later.... Field a better team, win the Superbowl to make more money.

If it's anything like his last restructure, he'll still be making more than if he had kept his original contract.

And he's made more this time as well...... His cap hit has not changed and he made a bonus per year.........

"Brady will receive a $1 million bump in each of the three remaining years of the deal. His base salaries will now be $8 million in 2016, $9 million in 2016 and $10 million in 2018."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12094227/tom-brady-restructures-contract-give-new-england-patriots-24-million-more-cash

And he's made more this time as well...... His cap hit has not changed and he made a bonus per year.........

"Brady will receive a $1 million bump in each of the three remaining years of the deal. His base salaries will now be $8 million in 2016, $9 million in 2016 and $10 million in 2018."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12094227/tom-brady-restructures-contract-give-new-england-patriots-24-million-more-cash

Lmao Called it.... Brady is a business man, not an idiot.

I made a big deal about this when Matt signed his contract and almost everyone thought I was crazy. I said Matt should take less with the explicit direction that the difference goes to the OL. People acted like I was a freaking communist. To me it's just smart business.

Matt would be FAR more successful if he had better protection. Not only would the team go farther (which would ultimately make Ryan worth more), it would also extend Ryan's career, which would ALSO make him more money. In case anybody didn't notice yesterday in the dome vs. Last week in NOLA, Ryan plays...uhhh...a little better when not constantly pressured.

So the bottom line is this. Matt got his money. His agent got his money. And we got the OL we deserve. Or at least the one Matt Ryan deserves.

:lol:

We got the O-line we deserved because TD severely overestimated the readiness of his picks and had nothing to do with money.

:lol:

We got the O-line we deserved because TD severely overestimated the readiness of his picks and had nothing to do with money.

That certainly had a lot to do with it. But if TD had $5M a year that was mandated to go to the OL in free agency, it could make a difference.

You guys do realize this has been debunked, right? Brady is not some saint giving away money to the Pats charity bucket. He signed a 4 year $72m deal with $48.5m guaranteed. Before that deal was up, he signed an extension. He was only going to make $19.5m in the last 2 years of the $72m deal due to it being front loaded, but his cap was over $21m. The extension he got changed that to $33m in those 2 years, but did save the Pats cap space because they spread the $30m signing bonus out over the next 5 years. In other words, in his pocket, he made an extra $13.5m between 2010-2014 (earned $85.5m over those 4 years instead of $72m, which was the biggest QB contract ever before Peyton's). This latest one actually added $3m to his contract for changing his guarantee to injury instead of skill, and in turn moved his cap hits around to lower it.

Let me make it a bit simpler, because I know the cap is hard to understand for a lot of folks. This would've been the last year of Brady's original 4 year $72m deal. If he didn't receive any additional money, his dead money would be the equivalent of his prorated signing bonus. Instead, his dead money is $33m due to the extra $30m bonus he got in an extension.

Brady has not taken a single paycut. The Pats have been paying him MORE to restructure by moving money into a signing bonus, changing the length of the contract, and INCREASING the value of his contract. Add up what he has actually been paid since 2011 when his new contract went into effect and look at how the rest is structured.

For the record, he will either not play the last couple of years of his contract or he will get a big raise before them.

He makes $3 million more in base salary and it frees up $24 million more from guarantees

It does not "free up" anything. It's media hype. His contract got an additional $3m in it and it only frees up $24m (over 3 years, not in 1 shot) if he gets cut or retires. Neither of which will happen. If he plays or gets injured, it frees up $0 on their cap.

Cap is the least of our problems and might be the reason TD kept his job. Julio is the only expensive resigning we have. Spoon might comeback on a cheap one year contract.

Cap is not the issue, and I'm sure if it was Matt would restructure. It's not necessary, so why would he? You're just making up BS because you decided you don't like Matt.

It's not but ddiarrhea initiative is becoming more obsessed with Ryan it's clouded his judgement. He puts swift to shame.

It does not "free up" anything. It's media hype. His contract got an additional $3m in it and it only frees up $24m (over 3 years, not in 1 shot) if he gets cut or retires. Neither of which will happen. If he plays or gets injured, it frees up $0 on their cap.

Well said.