Thomas Dimitroff Draft/free Agent Philosophy

g-dawg

Since 2009, Thomas Dimitroff always seems to be chasing his tail. He has stated on numerous occassions that he is "needs specific". He also has spoken on numerous occassions of the importance of special teams and how, after the first few rounds he looks more at special teams contributors. Dimitroff constantly has bragged about how many "college team captains" he has drafted. There is a very low tolerance for players that have had any type of off field issues.

In the draft, we show a great prpensity to trade-up but almost no imagination when it comes to trading down. Dimitroff seemed to have the philsophy his first six years that an offensive line could be pieced together with mid-to-late round picks. I cannot even get into Dimitroff's head about his philosophies on passrush. Falcons heavily scouted Clay Matthews and Justin Houston in the draft but passed on both.

How do the Falcons get better with a GM who has all these FAIL philosophies?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the Arthur Blank presser. It should be clear to anyone that Tommy is on the hot seat. From body language and expressions, It was clear that AB was very unhappy. When Tommy answered a question, AB's face became suddenly flushed.....a clear sign of anger. AB's anger was also evident when he tried to dance around the persistent questioning about Tommy's status.

I believe that Korn-Ferry was called to formulate a list of HC candidates. I also believe that the guy that is hired will decide whether to keep or dump Tommy.

I would guess that Tommy has a less than 30% chance of keeping his job.

We showed a willingness in 2014 to take more risks on players, rather than just going for the good leadership/character types.

As for pass rush, we didn't invest heavily there in TD's early years because we didn't need to. We already had an elite (borderline HOF) player in Abe and were never going to break the bank for a big name to play opposite him. We should have sought Abe's long term replacement in 11/12, but chose to go for a Julio Jones instead. For the last 2 years, we have been driven by a shortage of resources (picks and cap space) and Mike Nolan and his flawed philosophy. TD wanted into invest in the pass rush, but Smith and Noaln wanted stout space eating linemen and thought they could use their scheme to create pressure. We didn't have the resources to do both. TD deferred to what his coaches wanted and we ended up with no pass rush as a result.

Since 11 we have been chasing our tails. We've had a much longer list of needs than we've had picks and cap space to properly address. Whatever we'd done, it would still have left us with a long list of holes.

Drafting players for special teams and giving too much prominence to STs late in the draft has always been a bug bear of mine. TD is far from the only person who does it. On the contrary, almost every team in the NFL does it, because they rely on late round picks to fill out the special teams units and tht is where they see late round picks getting playing time.

TD wanted into invest in the pass rush, but Smith and Noaln wanted stout space eating linemen and thought they could use their scheme to create pressure. We didn't have the resources to do both. TD deferred to what his coaches wanted and we ended up with no pass rush as a result.

please link me to the article where it details how Dimitroff wanted passrushers last year instead of big men and how he was overruled.

i'll wait...

We showed a willingness in 2014 to take more risks on players, rather than just going for the good leadership/character types.

As for pass rush, we didn't invest heavily there in TD's early years because we didn't need to. We already had an elite (borderline HOF) player in Abe and were never going to break the bank for a big name to play opposite him. We should have sought Abe's long term replacement in 11/12, but chose to go for a Julio Jones instead. For the last 2 years, we have been driven by a shortage of resources (picks and cap space) and Mike Nolan and his flawed philosophy. TD wanted into invest in the pass rush, but Smith and Noaln wanted stout space eating linemen and thought they could use their scheme to create pressure. We didn't have the resources to do both. TD deferred to what his coaches wanted and we ended up with no pass rush as a result.

Since 11 we have been chasing our tails. We've had a much longer list of needs than we've had picks and cap space to properly address. Whatever we'd done, it would still have left us with a long list of holes.

Drafting players for special teams and giving too much prominence to STs late in the draft has always been a bug bear of mine. TD is far from the only person who does it. On the contrary, almost every team in the NFL does it, because they rely on late round picks to fill out the special teams units and tht is where they see late round picks getting playing time.

UK is cap really an issue I mean even with the Ryan deal in 11-12 I still believe we can could have got an elite rusher it would have just mean't tying up resources robbing peter to pay paul.

For me our biggest issue is we just haven't hit on anything in the draft regarding pass rush...Yes Yes before you go there the Julio trade had something to do this.

At some stage we are going to have to splurge if we can't develop so why not now.Pickings are thin yes but if at all available get a war chest together and go after Justin Houston.

Since 2009, Thomas Dimitroff always seems to be chasing his tail. He has stated on numerous occassions that he is "needs specific". He also has spoken on numerous occassions of the importance of special teams and how, after the first few rounds he looks more at special teams contributors. Dimitroff constantly has bragged about how many "college team captains" he has drafted. There is a very low tolerance for players that have had any type of off field issues.

In the draft, we show a great prpensity to trade-up but almost no imagination when it comes to trading down. Dimitroff seemed to have the philsophy his first six years that an offensive line could be pieced together with mid-to-late round picks. I cannot even get into Dimitroff's head about his philosophies on passrush. Falcons heavily scouted Clay Matthews and Justin Houston in the draft but passed on both.

GDawg, I know that you hate TD witha passion lol..but he didn't pass on Justin Houston.we had no second round pick, and per the war room he was the target in the third. Guess who got him in the third? Pioli

He did, of course, pass on clay Matthews in favor of Peria Jerry. I could have sworn you had Jerry in your mocks btw :)

please link me to the article where it details how Dimitroff wanted passrushers last year instead of big men and how he was overruled.

i'll wait...

Didn't the whole world want space eaters last year.

Even in the presser AB mentioned Nolan and Smitty wanted bigger DT's and run stuffers.

I thought that was the mantra for the off season stop the run and run the rock pass rush was a close 3rd.

i'll wait...

It was in the press conference.

If you're going to be hostile to people and entirely stubborn about your position, why create a thread? It's clear you don't want a discussion. You just want people to come in and agree with you. What's the point of that?

i'll wait...

Watch the PC.

TD wasn't "overruled". The coaches wanted stout DL to to the run and thought they could create oressure through scheming, TD thought we should add pass rush, but went with what the coaches wanted.

Just look at our DL acquisitions in 13 & 14 compared to 08-12. The Nolan influence is very obvious.

GDawg, I know that you hate TD witha passion lol..but he didn't pass on Justin Houston.we had no second round pick, and per the war room he was the target in the third. Guess who got him in the third? Pioli

He did, of course, pass on clay Matthews in favor of Peria Jerry. I could have sworn you had Jerry in your mocks btw smile.png

I know the events in the "Julio draft" - believe me I do. Justin Houston was projected to go at end of 1st round before he had the brain fart and failed the pot-test at the combine. If TD was sold on Justin Houston, he could have figured out a way to move up to get him even after the Julio trade. We were picking towards the back of the round and no one thought Houston was going to drop that far.

And, "NO" - I was big time on-board the Clay Matthews train and was excited when Falcons worked him out in Flowery Branch - could not believe we drafted the 26 year old injury prone dough-boy.

Why do posters insist on the notion that the drafting/signing of players is 100% the work of TD? Despite the numerous times smitty and TD have stated over the years that they worked closely together to build the roster. We will never know if the various players signed/drafted/cut were the result of a shared vision of coaches and GM or if TD just told smitty to work with what he gives him. I can't imagine that there is a coach not named jason Garrett that would put up with that.

I don't think our roster was a 6-10 team. Weakest link was obviously Mike Smith. If TD is also the problem at least give him a chance out of the Mike Smith era. When your coach says things like "sacks are overrated" and "some plays in a game don't matter" are you really getting the best out of the players on the roster? Are you getting the best out of the roster when you keep players who are producing in limited roles on the bench in favor of "the starters?"

Why do posters insist on the notion that the drafting/signing of players is 100% the work of TD? Despite the numerous times smitty and TD have stated over the years that they worked closely together to build the roster. We will never know if the various players signed/drafted/cut were the result of a shared vision of coaches and GM or if TD just told smitty to work with what he gives him. I can't imagine that there is a coach not named jason Garrett that would put up with that.

Dimitroff has said over the years that the buck stops with him on personnel - and it does.

suddenly there is push to "re-write of history" about how this is not so.

Watch the PC.

TD wasn't "overruled". The coaches wanted stout DL to to the run and thought they could create oressure through scheming, TD thought we should add pass rush, but went with what the coaches wanted.

Just look at our DL acquisitions in 13 & 14 compared to 08-12. The Nolan influence is very obvious.

That's not the case at all. TD and Smith/Nolan thought that there were no pass rushers to fix their pass rush in the draft(after taking Matthews) or FA so they went with what they thought was the next best thing, beefs to stop the run. It was BOTH of them decided together. If TD is saying that wasn't his idea now then I have even less respect for the man.

Watch the PC.

so he didn't have a chance to sign the next Ray Edwards or Osi Umenyiora this offseason? or decide to let Abe go? or were all those Smitty decisions as well?

wtf? you guys are pathetic with your excuses for Dimitroff - he totally failed this organization.

Who said that TD does not work with Smith? But that's the problem. He work WITH Smith. So why is he still here when Smith is gone?

UK is cap really an issue I mean even with the Ryan deal in 11-12 I still believe we can could have got an elite rusher it would have just mean't tying up resources robbing peter to pay paul.

For me our biggest issue is we just haven't hit on anything in the draft regarding pass rush...Yes Yes before you go there the Julio trade had something to do this.

At some stage we are going to have to splurge if we can't develop so why not now.Pickings are thin yes but if at all available get a war chest together and go after Justin Houston.

We could have addd a pass rusher, but probably not an elite one - and we certainly couldn't have done so without neglecting other needs in the process. We've been long on needs and short on resources for 3 years now.

You say that we haven't hit on a pass rusher in the draft, but look at the picks we've soend there. They've all been mid and late rounders. The chances of getting an 8-10+ sack a season rusher in that part of the draft are Very small. For every gem in that part of the draft there are probably 20+ guys who don't pan out. Kroy Biermann is Everyone's favourite defensive scapegoat for 2014, but if you compare him to the other DE's taken in the 5-7th rounds, he would be considered one of the better picks.

We could have been OK in 2014 if we'd opted to play a conventional 4-3 or 3-4 and built the roster with scheme specific talent. Instead, we opted to play a hybrid system, tied up some of resources keeping most of our 4-3 personnel whilst adding 2 FA's who were best suited in the 3-4.

Hopefully, whoever the new head coach is has a lot of control on personnel decisions.

Again I ask. Why in the world would you make a thread if you don't want discussion?

WTH are you talking about? this is a discussion.....please feel free to discuss and gloss over all the TD failures.

Simple fact is TD has been milking his very smart decision to draft Matt Ryan for 7 years now. At some point, that cow runs out of milk - for me it is in year#7 - guess you need a few more years.

I don't think our roster was a 6-10 team. Weakest link was obviously Mike Smith. If TD is also the problem at least give him a chance out of the Mike Smith era. When your coach says things like "sacks are overrated" and "some plays in a game don't matter" are you really getting the best out of the players on the roster? Are you getting the best out of the roster when you keep players who are producing in limited roles on the bench in favor of "the starters?"

Really, look at the defense and say that again. DEAD LAST in everything. Can't stop the pass, run, tackle, get to the quarterback, sack the quarterback.

This team is trash. Roddy is washed up and over paid, We dont have one decent RB, we only have 2 offensive linemen who should even be playing in the NFL.

We shouldve won 2 games when you think about it.

Shouldve lost to the Cards (back up QB), lost to the Saints(fumble), Besides the tampa bay in on thursday night we didnt dominate one single game.

I blame TD