Personnel Or Coaching

Flyin' In DC

Listening to TD in the press conference it sounded like he was making reference to Nolan and maybe Smitty's coaching philosophy of "sacks don't matter." I don't if he was just throwing them under the bus or the 2 told them they could make the pass rush work without getting an elite pass rusher. I know he is the GM and has ultimate responsibility for the personnel moves but my 2 cents is that players were not used right. This is also the first time that I heard Dimitroff ever say I have made mistakes and need to look at his actions.

If you guys were listening, then you heard Arthur Blank say that TD always thought they needed to add pass rushers, but that Smith and Nolan thought the better approach was to build from the inside. It seemed to me that Blank views the defensive and pass rushing failure as more of an indictment on Smith and Nolan than TD, because TD actually wanted to go after pass rushers instead.

If you guys were listening, then you heard Arthur Blank say that TD always thought they needed to add pass rushers, but that Smith and Nolan thought the better approach was to build from the inside. It seemed to me that Blank views the defensive and pass rushing failure as more of an indictment on Smith and Nolan than TD, because TD actually wanted to go after pass rushers instead.

It is just a bunch of Double Tripple Talk.

Smitty AND Nolan were thrown under the bus, and while this is Obvious, what lies

between the lines is,, Nolan is GONE!

I think that with the right personnel on the team, Mike Smith could have won a lot more games as HC for the Falcons. I don't think there are a lot of coaches that could have won a lot more games (I know of 2) this season with the personnel on the field. So, I have to say personnel. It is unfortunate for Mike Smith that winning those two games he was responsible for losing would have gotten the Falcons in the playoffs (where they would have promptly been dispatched) in this awful division.

Blank specifically stated that Dimitroff felt the team needed to primarily improve the pass rush and that Smith wanted to focus on stopping the run. Hence, Soliai and Jackson signed and no pass rushing help brought in last offseason. He also said that Mike Nolan thought his scheme could create pressure on QB's (implying he was in agreement with Smith).

Edited by #1ATLFALCONSFAN

I just question a lot of the play calls that were made on the defensive side of the ball. Biermann at all but dropping to safety? Very little PT for Mass, Hagemann(sp?) Getting 3-4 players in FA and never really ever playing a true 3-4.

The coach is responsible for telling the GM the type of players he wants and then playing those players the right way.

Well its a new day. I have been a fan since the early 70's and grew to expect mediocrity at best. When the team was sold and then Smith and Dimitroff got here I have grown to expect perfection. I am ******* pissed the season was dismal again. I don't care what it is get it fixed

Blank specifically stated that Dimitroff felt the team needed to primarily improve the pass rush and that Smith wanted to focus on stopping the run. Hence, Soliai and Jackson signed and no pass rushing help brought in last offseason. He also said that Mike Nolan thought his scheme could create pressure on QB's (implying he was in agreement with Smith).

Exactly. The problem was that our personnel decisions were being driven by a flawed defensive scheme and philosophy, and that is 100% on the coaches.

When you give someone a shopping list and they go out and buy what you ask for, you can't blame them if you don't have the necessary ingredients to make the meal.

There's an article in the Charlotte Observer where the Panthers Safety Tre Boston predicted before the game that both he and Roman Harper would have interceptions for touchdowns.....Boston said we (the Panthers) knew what they (the Falcons) were doing.

Seeing that his pre game prognostication was spot on accurate....I'd say your coaching was too predictable.