The Cold Hard Truth

The Falcons just don't have enough talent outside of a few skill players to compete at the NFL level. We have let guys walk like Abraham, Lofton, Turner and of course the retirement of Gonzalez and have not replaced those players with NFL ready talent. When times were good and we were finding ourselves in the playoffs year after year we thought those players were expendable. Unfortunately with Abraham and Lofton departing we have no dominant pass rush and basically our secondary is now getting picked apart because they are forced to cover for an eternity and few defenses have that kind of talent and lock down corners and safeties to do that, and we certainly do not. I am not saying Mike Smith should not be held responsible to some degree and he will most likely be fired. Fine bring in a new head coach. While you're at it you might want to bring in a new GM that can start drafting players to replace the talent that in some cases we have basically given away to other teams. I heard all this a few years ago when people said that the Falcons defense could afford to get rid of some guys and spend money on a star running back like Jackson. I heard people say that the Falcons offense was going to become the next and latest iteration of the "Greatest Show on Turf." While after 3 or 4 years those proclamations have fallen to the ground. The offense simply can't score enough points to mitigate a bad defense, and Jackson looks as slow as I have ever seen him. Jackson is done and we are stuck with his contract for two more seasons.

I feel bad that Mike Smith is probably going to be fired, because I know he is a good coach. I also now how long it took Atlanta to find a coach that could bring the kind of consistency that the Falcons never had before. And for those people who think the Falcons are going to bring in a big name head coach, please! Again I have been hearing that BS all my life as a Falcons fan. The reality is that some assistant coach on some current NFL team will be the Falcons next head coach. The real question is does Blank have the guts to fire Thomas Dimitroff. Dimitroff has failed on too many recent drafts and his team of assistants have done a terrible job evaluating talent, both incoming and outgoing. I honestly believe the Falcons are in store for several more bad seasons to come, and that is bad news for Blank who will be expecting Falcons fans to pay thousands of dollars in PSL's for that new stadium. I just don't see it happening. The Falcons are in danger of losing their fan base at a time when they may need them most. We all know that this is not a diehard sports town, and if the Falcons are not wining the fans are not going to support this franchise.

I just hope Blank gets these very important upcoming decision right, because in this city there is very little to no room for error.

Edited by zzfrow

The Falcons just don't have enough talent outside of a few skill players to compete at the NFL level. We have let guys walk like Abraham, Lofton, Turner and of course the retirement of Gonzalez and have not replaced those players with NFL ready talent.

Those guys you mentioned, with Lofton as the exception, were all nearing the end of their careers and were not playing at a high level. We didn't let Gonzo walk, he retired. Our mistake with him was agreeing to let him skip TC. Lofton isn't anything special, we knew it, and now Saints fans know it. Abraham had a good season after he left but he was fragile (like the rest of our roster) and was in decline. In hindsight, the dried turds we replaced him with didn't quite fit the bill. Our problem is we let older guys retire or walk and we bring in guys that are just as ****** or just as old to replace them. Abraham for Osi and Turner for SJ, those two moves alone were incredibly ********.

Those guys you mentioned, with Lofton as the exception, were all nearing the end of their careers and were not playing at a high level. We didn't let Gonzo walk, he retired. Our mistake with him was agreeing to let him skip TC. Lofton isn't anything special, we knew it, and now Saints fans know it. Abraham had a good season after he left but he was fragile (like the rest of our roster) and was in decline. In hindsight, the dried turds we replaced him with didn't quite fit the bill. Our problem is we let older guys retire or walk and we bring in guys that are just as ****** or just as old to replace them. Abraham for Osi and Turner for SJ, those two moves alone were incredibly ********.

Abraham, up until his injury, was doing quite well in Arizona. His sack numbers were right in line with where they had been over the last 2 years in Atlanta. He may not have been sacking QB's like he was necessarily at the begging of his career, but he was still a valuable pass rusher for the Falcons. And my point is still valid that we haven't replaced what Abraham did provide. Fact is at least our defense was respectable with Lofton and Abraham. We were at least in most games. If this offense doesn't put 30 or more points we don't stand a chance of winning.

Most if not all draft evaluators over the last two years have us either at the bottom or near the bottom in draft class grades.

I don't care what any talking head says. Tru, Alf, Ish, Jake, Hage, South, Shembo, Lolo, Free... they've all contributed. That's better than probably any other team in the league over the last two years. And that's not even counting guys like Worr, Stone, or Schraeder that were undrafted but have become solid starters already.