I Am Tired Of The O Line Excuses For Matty Ice

No one is answering the question about different skill levels when it comes to avoiding sacks/pressure. Matt has improved a ton in that area this year but he's still not that good at it. just not in his skill set. Doesn't make him a terrible qb. It just mean there is less room for error for his oline.

Actually, he's really good at it- he does it by making quick decisions and getting the ball out. Yesterday, he didn't have time to do that. He also avoids more sacks by moving around than you're giving him credit for. Can't do that when the pressure is coming from everywhere.

Ryan has made the Oline look better than it was for years, it's been so bad he hasn't been able to make up for it the last 2.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is answering the question about different skill levels when it comes to avoiding sacks/pressure. Matt has improved a ton in that area this year but he's still not that good at it. just not in his skill set. Doesn't make him a terrible qb. It just mean there is less room for error for his oline.

There's no room for error for any line. Cam was under a lot of duress earlier in the year as well.

Funny you say that when an article about last weeks game said that Matt was throwing the ball in 2.22 seconds after snap. You tell me what changed.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at? Are you saying Matt plays better when he's adequately protected? Duh.. Most qbs do. All I'm saying is that some qbs react better to pressure than others. All qbs play worse when they are constantly pressured, but some handle the pressure better than others.

Yeah, fans of the other team are more rational about Ryan than some falcon fans.

I look at it a little different than some here though. I don't believe it was because of the Panthers' pass rush, that threw Ryan off his game. Ryan does have a quick release.and if a WR was open , he would have darted it to him, before the Panthers' pass rush got to him. Panthers depended on dropping most of their defenders into coverage and taking away Ryan's main strength, his quick release, and relying on the pass rush to eventually get to him.

Last week for example, one or two Saint defenders complained that relying on the pass rush to disrupt Ryan wasn't a good plan, since he can get the ball out lightning fast.

All of that being said. Like I was saying.. take a huge risk that has a small chance of succeeding.... if it pays off that player is a hero and talked about as amazing. If it fails..... then that player is dogged out.

There's no room for error for any line. Cam was under a lot of duress earlier in the year as well.

What about the pressure that got to him early in the game? Did you see the end result of that? That would have likely been a sack or a pick 6 from Ryan. It's ok to admit that cams more likely to make something happen when things go bad up front. Doesn't mean he's a better qb than Matt.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at? Are you saying Matt plays better when he's adequately protected? Duh.. Most qbs do. All I'm saying is that some qbs react better to pressure than others. All qbs play worse when they are constantly pressured, but some handle the pressure better than others.

Not constant pressure. Pressure yea but constant pressure is a different story. Name a qb who performs well with constant pressure for 60 minutes. I don't kkiw any. Vick turned into a pick machine against constant pressure. So does Andrew Luck. So does Cam.

I look at it a little different than some here though. I don't believe it was because of the Panthers' pass rush, that threw Ryan off his game. Ryan does have a quick release.and if a WR was open , he would have darted it to him, before the Panthers' pass rush got to him. Panthers depended on dropping most of their defenders into coverage and taking away Ryan's main strength, his quick release, and relying on the pass rush to eventually get to him.

Last week for example, one or two Saint defenders complained that relying on the pass rush to disrupt Ryan wasn't a good plan, since he can get the ball out lightning fast.

All of that being said. Like I was saying.. take a huge risk that has a small chance of succeeding.... if it pays off that player is a hero and talked about as amazing. If it fails..... then that player is dogged out.

Some guys were open numbnutz...Ice didn't have time to scan the field. Learn football or get off the pot...you're just trolling right now!

What about the pressure that got to him early in the game? Did you see the end result of that? That would have likely been a sack or a pick 6 from Ryan. It's ok to admit that cams more likely to make something happen when things go bad up front. Doesn't mean he's a better qb than Matt.

Man I just examined this to you. Cam wasn't getting away from anything if it was reversed. Why?? Because Matt was getting pressure from the ends AND thru the middle. Star had 2 of the 6 sacks himself. Cam was escaping thru the middle. Yea we had OUTSIDE pressure. NONE thru the middle. What are you not getting?? Cam ain't escaping pressure that's coming from every angle. He calls himself superman but he ain't. And who says it would've been a pick 6? Matt can handle outside pressure. It's when it comes outside and up the gut. NO qb can handle that. Bro you talkin to an ex player. There's no scenerio you can give me that I haven't been thru. Also not having SJax blocking was a part of it too. They obliterated the midgets. Edited by TheFatboi

GTFO with that shyt. It is easy to have tight cover when your QB has about 1.2 seconds to throw...

rewatch the game. WFW. A few of those hits, sacks, were indeed because of the coverage. Some of that pressure took over 3 seconds to find its way to Ryan.. we both know that if a WR is open on a quick play, he would have darted the ball out well under the time it took him to get sacked or hit.

Man I just examined this to you. Cam wasn't getting away from anything if it was reversed. Why?? Because Matt was getting pressure from the ends AND thru the middle. Star had 2 of the 6 sacks himself. Cam was escaping thru the middle. Yea we had OUTSIDE pressure. NONE thru the middle. What are you not getting?? Cam ain't escaping pressure that's coming from every angle. He calls himself superman but he ain't. And who says it would've been a pick 6? Matt can handle outside pressure. It's when it comes outside and up the gut. NO qb can handle that. Bro you talkin to an ex player. There's no scenerio you can give me that I haven't been thru. Also not having SJax blocking was a part of it too. They obliterated the midgets.

So in your eyes Matt and Cam possess the same ability to avoid pressure?

rewatch the game. WFW. A few of those hits, sacks, were indeed because of the coverage. Some of that pressure took over 3 seconds to find its way to Ryan.. we both know that if a WR is open on a quick play, he would have darted the ball out well under the time it took him to get sacked or hit.

Coverage sacks happen in most games but we are talking constant pressure from both outside rushers and up the middle. Are you trying to say a better QB would have made something out of yesterday's game? Because if you are then it is just you trying to troll like WFW said earlier...

Coverage sacks happen in most games but we are talking constant pressure from both outside rushers and up the middle. Are you trying to say a better QB would have made something out of yesterday's game? Because if you are then it is just you trying to troll like WFW said earlier...

You in attack mode, bro. Save it for RC. I actually try and talk legit football in TATF.

Did you not read anything I wrote? If he didn't have anyone to throw to, to utilize his quick release, and the pass rush eventually got to him. How is that saying it is his fault? I'm saying the opposite. His pick6s, were risks that had to be taken. The run game was letting him down, with 7 defenders dropping back, the coverage was indeed tight...and the game was on the line. He took risks that almost every qb would probably take.

Heck Cam took one last week against the Browns. that ended up being intercepted. Had it not been intercepted, he would have been a hero... it was intercepted though, so he was talked down about..... quite a bit, even though we won the game.

Edit: When a qb feels as if the weight of the entire team is on their shoulders, wihch Ryan probably felt during this game. Sometimes taking a shot in the dark pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Ryan and the Falcons have had quite a few game winning drives because they took a risk that had little chance of success............paid off. This game, it didn't pay off, but it's not his fault for taking the shots. Fault him if he didn't take any risks.. if he didn't try and turn the tide of the game.

Troy did too until they started protecting him better. Troy went thru a stretch when his line gave him adequate protection. And when they started faltering is when the hits started back. Plus Matt is more athletic than aikman ever was. And Troy never played with an unbalanced team. They were always balanced. His first SB was in 92 which meant he had a 39, and 32 sack season before they really started protecting him. His super bowl years he was sacked 23, 26, and 14 times. Now you tell me if Matt coukdbt win behind that HOF line with a great running game and only taking 23, 26, and 14 sacks.

There is no question that those Dallas teams were loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. A couple of years ago I would have said Matt could get it done but I'm not convinced now. The O-Line problems and lack of a run game are major issues but Ryan should be better considering he has 7 years of experience, he has been in the same offense for several years, throwing to the same personnel.

Matt Ryan carries himself well and I like the way he represents the Falcons. I just get that feeling that everything has to be perfect for him to succeed and that rarely is the case in the NFL.

So in your eyes Matt and Cam possess the same ability to avoid pressure?

What? You clownin yourself bro. I said no such thing. I said its defenses that ain't seeing cam. They will shut that sh!t down. I also said if cam was seeing the same pressure Matt was seeing that he would not escape. Simple football. If you got pressure from the outside Matt will just step up and throw the ball. Cam will run thru the middle. Now. Cam has been sacked 38 times this season and he missed 2 games. Matt 31 thanks to yesterday. Only 25 before that. So that kills your escapism theory for athletes and I'm done. Class over.

There is no question that those Dallas teams were loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. A couple of years ago I would have said Matt could get it done but I'm not convinced now. The O-Line problems and lack of a run game are major issues but Ryan should be better considering he has 7 years of experience, he has been in the same offense for several years, throwing to the same personnel.

Matt Ryan carries himself well and I like the way he represents the Falcons. I just get that feeling that everything has to be perfect for him to succeed and that rarely is the case in the NFL.

I don't think it has to be perfect but I think he's like any other good qb. They benefit from a good running game and a good oline. Just that simple. We have neither. Aaron Ridgers was hurt without good oline play and lack of running game. Even he needs it. Brady has always had a good running game and line play. So has Peyton. Montana, Young, Bradshaw, Favre, Simms, Theisman, Brees, you name it. That's why I want Rex Ryan. He emphasizes running the ball and tough oline play.

What? You clownin yourself bro. I said no such thing. I said its defenses that ain't seeing cam. They will shut that sh!t down. I also said if cam was seeing the same pressure Matt was seeing that he would not escape. Simple football. If you got pressure from the outside Matt will just step up and throw the ball. Cam will run thru the middle. Now. Cam has been sacked 38 times this season and he missed 2 games. Matt 31 thanks to yesterday. Only 25 before that. So that kills your escapism theory for athletes and I'm done. Class over.

Still waiting on you to answer the question. Not sure why you're so angry lol it's a simple question. Do cam and Matt have the same ability when it comes to avoiding pressure? I don't need a long paragraph. Just yes or no.

You in attack mode, bro. Save it for RC. I actually try and talk legit football in TATF.

Did you not read anything I wrote? If he didn't have anyone to throw to, to utilize his quick release, and the pass rush eventually got to him. How is that saying it is his fault? I'm saying the opposite. His pick6s, were risks that had to be taken. The run game was letting him down, with 7 defenders dropping back, the coverage was indeed tight...and the game was on the line. He took risks that almost every qb would probably take.

Heck Cam took one last week against the Browns. that ended up being intercepted. Had it not been intercepted, he would have been a hero... it was intercepted though, so he was talked down about..... quite a bit, even though we won the game.

Edit: When a qb feels as if the weight of the entire team is on their shoulders, wihch Ryan probably felt during this game. Sometimes taking a shot in the dark pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Ryan and the Falcons have had quite a few game winning drives because they took a risk that had little chance of success............paid off. This game, it didn't pay off, but it's not his fault for taking the shots. Fault him if he didn't take any risks.. if he didn't try and turn the tide of the game.

Any winning drive he's ever had was not under this type of pressure. Either our OL performed better or the meows defense just overwhelmed our OL. You are trying to insinuate a QB who had no running game to speak of and no blocking in pass protection should of been able to pull a rabbit out of the hat yesterday. If superSCam was in the same position Ice was yesterday he'd of performed worse. You've been trolling all over in RC now you're trying to bring that crap over here. WFW ain't gonna let it happen!

Any winning drive he's ever had was not under this type of pressure. Either our OL performed better or the meows defense just overwhelmed our OL. You are trying to insinuate a QB who had no running game to speak of and no blocking in pass protection should of been able to pull a rabbit out of the hat yesterday. If superSCam was in the same position Ice was yesterday he'd of performed worse. You've been trolling all over in RC now you're trying to bring that crap over here. WFW ain't gonna let it happen!

I know you are around 120, WFW, but you can not possibly read what I typed....and view it as me blaming Ryan for anything.

Cam has been in that position..and Cam has had to take huge risks in that position. Sometimes they paid off...other times, they were interceptions. That's the point I'm making... every qb should at least take those risks. From the top tier of Peyton, Brees and Rodgers... to the bottom tier of Geno Smith and every tier inbetween. If the game is getting out of hand, the qb should take a risk in an effort to get his team back in the game.

The risk may not pay off, but at least the qb can say he gave it his all, in the situation he is in.

I know you are around 120, WFW, but you can not possibly read what I typed....and view it as me blaming Ryan for anything.

Cam has been in that position..and Cam has had to take huge risks in that position. Sometimes they paid off...other times, they were interceptions. That's the point I'm making... every qb should at least take those risks. From the top tier of Peyton, Brees and Rodgers... to the bottom tier of Geno Smith and every tier inbetween. If the game is getting out of hand, the qb should take a risk in an effort to get his team back in the game.

The risk may not pay off, but at least the qb can say he gave it his all, in the situation he is in.

So superSCam has risked his way into 3 out of 4 losing seasons? You're funny poxlaugh.png

Eli Manning wins a Super Bowl with a poor offensive line

13th)

Run Rank 24th, Pass Rank 32nd, Penalties Rank 7th

Yes, they won the Super Bowl, but they did so in spite of a line that sieved pressure throughout the year. Our lowest-ranked pass protecting line had problems all over, but nowhere as bad as at the tackle positions (especially once Will Beatty was lost for the year). It wasnt just the tackles however, with every member of the Giants line earning a negative grade. This explains the drop-off in the run game and makes the season that Eli Manning had all the more remarkable.

Edited by shaudyshaudback

Eli Manning wins a Super Bowl with a poor offensive line

13th)

Run Rank 24th, Pass Rank 32nd, Penalties Rank 7th

Yes, they won the Super Bowl, but they did so in spite of a line that sieved pressure throughout the year. Our lowest-ranked pass protecting line had problems all over, but nowhere as bad as at the tackle positions (especially once Will Beatty was lost for the year). It wasnt just the tackles however, with every member of the Giants line earning a negative grade. This explains the drop-off in the run game and makes the season that Eli Manning had all the more remarkable.

None of that mattered in the postseason in both Super Bowl runs.