I Am Tired Of The O Line Excuses For Matty Ice

That's false. Eli Manning has. He helped his team to a Super Bowl under those conditions

He was crushed, over and over, with the 49ers recording 18 hits on Manning, including six sacks. Several hits were from the blindside, the type of brutal collision in which the quarterback prepares to throw and suddenly his body is folded, like a piece of origami, as a defender blasts him from behind. Those hits can often be the most violent and “some of those shots, you even cringe,” center David Baas said.

Eli Manning also played remarkably well passing for 300 + yards and 2 TDs while also being on the road

wink.png

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carolina was achieving ample pass rush with minimal blitzes -- i.e. four man rush flat out beating us. that leaves 7 in coverage while Matt has <3-4 seconds to throw the ball. Can we hold him liable for his mistakes? Yea, but it has to be kept in perspective. It's not that Matt didn't play bad (the whole team did), but...other players were more immediately responsible for the outcome of the game and those players are more easily upgraded. Just curious, who would be an upgrade over Matt? I think it's easier to ask who might be an upgrade over Schraeder, Blalock, and Stone. Or, what can we do to further develop these players?

This whole discussion of Matt's value and quality is really infuriating for anyone with a clue.

this is where i disagree, as a 7th year player ryan has to know his line, he knows pressure is coming, not once yesterday did he step up in the pocket, he just stands there, has no pocket presence at all and a bad line and an above avg qb equals disaster, cinder blocks for feet is deadly. on this board its very frustrating that there are some like you that will not say anything wrong with ryan, its not his fault, its a joke

this is where i disagree, as a 7th year player ryan has to know his line, he knows pressure is coming, not once yesterday did he step up in the pocket, he just stands there, has no pocket presence at all and a bad line and an above avg qb equals disaster, cinder blocks for feet is deadly. on this board its very frustrating that there are some like you that will not say anything wrong with ryan, its not his fault, its a joke

What? I said we can (should) hold him liable for his mistakes. But things have to be kept in perspective. Likewise, it's frustrating that people still insist on attacking the second best player on our team for getting slaughtered. I'm the first guy to yell, "WTF matt?!" when he throws a pick. Tone down the hyperbole -- Matt's faults, as you mentioned, are limited ability to keep things afloat when they break down (won't say he has "cinderblock feet" though..but he's no Big Ben). The past two years, that's been deadly because the lines have been pretty bad. You can't say he hasn't improved this year (he has shown this in the Saints first game and even some last night, throughout the year), but he can improve still. Additionally, he seems to take the whole thing upon his shoulders which leads to some of those picks. Positives include: this year, he's done a pretty good job holding onto the football, especially later in the year, you can see him make a priority of tucking it when things break down. It'd be nice if he took similar caution when throwing it in those circumstances, but from our view as spectators, that hasn't been the case.

I agree Matt can be better.

I'll criticize him. But objectively.

Edited by Dyinglobster

He'd be a champion with that 96 Cowboys line for many reasons. #1 they were road graders and opened huge holes for the running game. #2 they excelled at pass pro and with the wr's we have its a wrap. #3 that line was mean n nasty. Something we don't have. Matt plays awful when he has no protection but so does Brady, Manning and even Rodgers. I completely disagree with your assumption that he'd play the same way with a HOF line. We have not one HOF'er on this line. Maybe Jake will be one day if he plays at a high level for many years but not 1 potential HOF'er nowhere on that line.

I can't agree with this. Dallas was a more complete team but Troy Aikman took a beating and still stood tall in the pocket like a warrior. There were no rules to help the QB's so quarterbacks were routinely being tee offed on.

Troy eventually retired because he had too many concussions. Matt has taking some nasty hits but the pressure effects his game and he starts to make bad decisions under duress. I haven't seen enough solid play in big games to declare he would win a superbowl.

Edited by insight

What? I said we can (should) hold him liable for his mistakes. But things have to be kept in perspective. Likewise, it's frustrating that people still insist on attacking the second best player on our team for getting slaughtered. I'm the first guy to yell, "WTF matt?!" when he throws a pick. Tone down the hyperbole -- Matt's faults, as you mentioned, are limited ability to keep things afloat when they break down (won't say he has "cinderblock feet" though..but he's no Big Ben). The past two years, that's been deadly because the lines have been pretty bad. You can't say he hasn't improved this year (he has shown this in the Saints first game and even some last night, throughout the year), but he can improve still. Additionally, he seems to take the whole thing upon his shoulders which leads to some of those picks. Positives include: this year, he's done a pretty good job holding onto the football, especially later in the year, you can see him make a priority of tucking it when things break down. It'd be nice if he took similar caution when throwing it in those circumstances, but from our view as spectators, that hasn't been the case.

I agree Matt can be better.

I'll criticize him. But objectively.

Two pick 6's. Two. Almost 3. Everyone was horrendous sunday including Matt.

Matt Ryan needs near perfect circumstances for him to be a really good QB. He needs exceptional receivers - not average guys. He needs almost perfect pass protection because he isn't mobile and looks panic stricken when the pocket starts to break down. He rarely steps up in the pocket or buys any time with his legs which would help out his OL a great deal. Most of all, he needs a "Matt Ryan" friendly system that provides him with easy check downs and outlet passes. That's Ryans biggest crutch....If Ryan was is a system like what they run in Green Bay that requires a lot of down field completions, Ryan would be in deep trouble.

Matt Ryan needs near perfect circumstances for him to be a really good QB. He needs exceptional receivers - not average guys. He needs almost perfect pass protection because he isn't mobile and looks panic stricken when the pocket starts to break down. He rarely steps up in the pocket or buys any time with his legs which would help out his OL a great deal. Most of all, he needs a "Matt Ryan" friendly system that provides him with easy check downs and outlet passes. That's Ryans biggest crutch....If Ryan was is a system like what they run in Green Bay that requires a lot of down field completions, Ryan would be in deep trouble.

Another quality poster joins the message boards. Welcome!

I can't agree with this. Dallas was a more complete team but Troy Aikman took a beating and still stood tall in the pocket like a warrior. There were no rules to help the QB's so quarterbacks were routinely being tee offed on.

Troy eventually retired because he had too many concussions. Matt has taking some nasty hits but the pressure effects his game and he starts to make bad decisions under duress.

Troy did too until they started protecting him better. Troy went thru a stretch when his line gave him adequate protection. And when they started faltering is when the hits started back. Plus Matt is more athletic than aikman ever was. And Troy never played with an unbalanced team. They were always balanced. His first SB was in 92 which meant he had a 39, and 32 sack season before they really started protecting him. His super bowl years he was sacked 23, 26, and 14 times. Now you tell me if Matt coukdbt win behind that HOF line with a great running game and only taking 23, 26, and 14 sacks. Edited by TheFatboi

I saw Aaron Rodgers have a game with a stat line of 17/42 185 yards and two INT's. I guess it should come as a shock that he was only sacked 1 time too. Funny how a pass rush can make even the greatest look small.

They don't understand that bro. They actually think it's simple to throw the ball to unopenbreceivers under heavy duress. If Aaron can't do it it can't be done.

If the O-Line did their job Matty would not be getting banged around like a Crash Test Dummy for the game. But of course if the rest of the team suks wind Matt is supposed to single handed rise up above all that to play like superman.

Give Matt a break. His stats say he is a better than average QB... what he needs is a better than mediocre team.

Edited by Realsurfin

They don't understand that bro. They actually think it's simple to throw the ball to unopenbreceivers under heavy duress. If Aaron can't do it it can't be done.

Why is there always an excuse for his play? "The line didn't block, wrs weren't open, plays were awful". Matt sucked yesterday and so did everyone else. Stop trying to exclude him from the disaster. He was part of the problem yesterday. Plain and Simple.

Why is there always an excuse for his play? "The line didn't block, wrs weren't open, plays were awful". Matt sucked yesterday and so did everyone else. Stop trying to exclude him from the disaster. He was part of the problem yesterday. Plain and Simple.

Who excluded? Nowhere did I say he didn't pkay bad BUT a qb's bad play is DIRECTLY tied to bad line play. If there is no time there won't be open receivers. PERIOD!!!!! That's football. I ain't NEVER been an excuse guy. I pkayed this game bro. I KNOW what makes a qb play bad. You throw picks when you start forcing the ball to unopen receivers. And what forces you to do that??? Lack of protection. As long as I played this game you'll NEVER get me to say that ain't a part of bad Play. Unless the qb straight up sucks and Matt don't straight up suck!!!! Edited by TheFatboi

No one's excluding him! No one's denying he sucked. But things have to be kept in perspective.

Who excluded? Nowhere did I say he didn't pkay bad BUT a qb's bad play is DIRECTLY tied to bad line play. If there is no time there won't be open receivers. PERIOD!!!!! That's football. I ain't NEVER been an excuse guy. I pkayed this game bro. I KNOW what makes a qb play bad.

Interceptions...whose fault? Matt? Oline? Wrs?

Interceptions...whose fault? Matt? Oline? Wrs?

Dude I coukd give a f*ck about that. It's all tied into protection. The gane is won in the trenches. Bad line play equals mistakes and turnovers. PERIOD!!! I never said he wasn't at fault. That's your problem. You're lumping me with the excuse crowd. I'm telling what it is.

You see what you want to see my man. What's typed is "Matt didn't play well at all, but he isn't the only reason we loss" you read "Matt Ryan has no fault is us losing". Get over your bias. Matt played terrible yesterday. No one has said he played great. 18 QB hits and 6 sacks isn't an excuse for his poor play, it's an attribute.

No one's excluding him! No one's denying he sucked. But things have to be kept in perspective.

Perspective is there. Just get tired of Ryan fanboys always making excuses when the guy makes mistakes. He's not the biggest issue on the team any sane person will tell you that. But unfortunately for him he's the qb. You get the praise and the blame. No on'e going to sit here and debate whether or not the line screwed up or the defense sucks. The debate is in how much to blame Matt Ryan for the teams performance. On sundays game I give him about 40% of the blame.