I Am Tired Of The O Line Excuses For Matty Ice

That's not true. GOOD qb's win with great lines. Decent qb's don't. I don't kkiw one decent qb that won a SB because he had a great line alone. Dilfer. Champion because of a great running game and an even greater defense that only allowed 15 points a game. Johnson. Another qb that had a great defense. Any other SB winning qb's you bring out are all HOF'ers. Bradshaw, Namath, Young, Montana, Aikman, Elway, Favre, Warner, Staubach, Theisman. All of which played behind a HOF line. And the next crop is Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers and they've played with HOF lineman as well.

Ryan is better than a decent qb but like all great qb's that have played behind a HOF line they need the blocking.

I'm sorry when I say decent I mean a good qb. Just a solid qb. That's what Matt is in my eyes. But I think there are 5-6 qbs in the league that you can plug into the cowboys team and they would win superbowls. Doesn't mean they are HOF qbs just means that they have just enough talent not to screw up all the awesome pieces around them.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deion played his best years for other teams. He doesn't even have his number retired by the Falcons. He made some flashy plays, but he is no Matt Ryan. Terance Mathis is a better all-time Falcon than Deion.

Deion's best here still had him as one of the best if not the best corner in the league. MAtt has never been considered the best at his position.

I'm sorry when I say decent I mean a good qb. Just a solid qb. That's what Matt is in my eyes. But I think there are 5-6 qbs in the league that you can plug into the cowboys team and they would win superbowls. Doesn't mean they are HOF qbs just means that they have just enough talent not to screw up all the awesome pieces around them.

oh ok I gotcha. Aikman was the best qb of the 90's tho. You weren't just plugging anybody there. It was a few you could plug in but they would've also been some of the best in the league. They coukdve won with Favre, Young, Kelly, Elway and a few more but again these are all HOF qb's that played with HOF lineman. But you're still pretty much making my point. Any good qb has to pkay with a good line. Just the way it works. Aaron got hurt behind a sorry line and no running game. And that's Godgers. There's just no way to validate the relationship of a bad line with a good qb. They all need a good to great line. And history doesn't lie. Most SB winners were HOF qb's that had HOF lineman. That's just history. If Matt Ryan is gonna win is a SB he's gonna need a potential HOF line in front of him. It's history bro. Facts. Edited by TheFatboi

Exactky. We were out game planned and over powered yesterday. Now we bring in a tough minded coach that can manage questionable character players now that smith is fired. We have the offense in place. Get the line and the d right we're right back in the scheme of things.

So frustrating to watch. Really hopeful that the team next year is always aggressive on both sides of the ball. Need a RB , a couple of pass rushers, a LB, healthy Oline. Don't think that's impossible, think FA and first couple of picks can turn this into a solid team.

So frustrating to watch. Really hopeful that the team next year is always aggressive on both sides of the ball. Need a RB , a couple of pass rushers, a LB, healthy Oline. Don't think that's impossible, think FA and first couple of picks can turn this into a solid team.

No doubt. It's not as hard as guys here make it out to be. They have to be willing to go get the edgy type of players we need. And now that we know smith was the guy that wanted high character with no edge, which I already knew, we can get a guy that will go get those edgy players. Or character issue guys. You can tell by smiths attitude he probably couldnt handle those type of guys.

oh ok I gotcha. Aikman was the best qb of the 90's tho. You weren't just plugging anybody there. It was a few you could plug in but they would've also been some of the best in the league. They coukdve won with Favre, Young, Kelly, Elway and a few more but again these are all HOF qb's that played with HOF lineman. But you're still pretty much making my point. Any good qb has to pkay with a good line. Just the way it works. Aaron got hurt behind a sorry line and no running game. And that's Godgers. There's just no way to validate the relationship of a bad line with a good qb. They all need a good to great line. And history doesn't lie. Most SB winners were HOF qb's that had HOF lineman. That's just history. If Matt Ryan is gonna win is a SB he's gonna need a potential HOF line in front of him. It's history bro. Facts.

I agree with needing a good line. I don't think it needs to be a HOF line. My point is that you can plug in any good qb if you have a good line and defense. See Trent dilfer, Brad Johnson, Flacco, etc.

I agree with needing a good line. I don't think it needs to be a HOF line. My point is that you can plug in any good qb if you have a good line and defense. See Trent dilfer, Brad Johnson, Flacco, etc.

I brought up Dilfer and Johnson. And if you have a franchise qb if that qb won a SB more than likely he had a HOF line. Not the whole line but at least one or two. Brady has some, Peyton, Drew etc...The differnce is you're either going to be a defensive team or an offensive team. We're an offensive team which means we only need an adequate defense.

Most of the SB winning qb's are HOF'ers and they took lineman with them in the hall. There's a few Dilfers and johnsons scattered in there. And those weren't franchise qb's for those teams. We don't have a plug n play defense for any qb. You're either gonna be an offensive team with an adequate offense or a defensive team with an adequate offense. Hard to have both in the FA era. And flacco still had a good defense and a great running game. His career is still going. He may end up in the hall when it's all said and done.

Different eras as far as the passing game. League is way more passer friendly now. Can't really compare stats. But you're entitle to your opinion and so am I. Matt isn't better than Primetime in my opinion. Sanders was one of the greatest players in history at his position. Matt's no where near that.

Sanders was the best at his position, so I have to say that he ranks ahead of Ryan. Nobis was a star surrounded by duds.....he is also above Ryan.

Ryan is far better than we have seen. Every single great QB in the league has an OL to protect him and a good run offense. Until Ryan gets those things, we will not see his real value.

you ever notice how teams don't mind playing our wide receivers so close?

Its not because our receivers are slow, and if your a member of the Objective Thinking Crew you simply believe its because Ryan doesn't have the cannon to take the ball deep.

Both reasons are wrong, its because opponents know Matt has to throw the ball within two seconds of the snap. That is it, if Matt takes 3 seconds he will be sacked or flushed out the pocket.

Yesterday Matt Ryan threw picks desperately trying to get something going, but in reality we were out played in the trenches and people had no time to get open.

It was a rough game to watch but its the game we needed sadly to right this ship.

Matt has been a great asset to this team, but he's had multiple poor performances in big games like this one. He was under pressure, but he didn't respond as an elite QB would respond. In fact, he just kept getting worse and worse. I would've liked to have seen a much higher quality performance from Matt, even with the pressure. He contributed to the loss instead of stopping the bleeding and rallying his offense and his team to make a comeback.

It was ugly but when he made that long completion to Roddy and he fumbled it right after the pick six, it was all over...

ME TOO! Send Matt Ryan packing also. I mean the rookie quarterbacks are better!

AUTHER BLANK GET RID OF MATT RYAN TOO! Please. We want a real quaterback. Matt Ryan is garbage. I don't know why everybody keeps trying to act like he is so good. Yeah, we need a a good O Line but, Matty Ice like a deer in headlights. To many weapons for him, and he still can't get the ball to them.

I am sick of seeing the best player in franchise history get pummeled on a weekly basis.

The best player in frenchise history? What franchise you speaking of? Certainly not the Atlanta Falcons...Pulease. I am the Dome of Pain, and this is the House that Deion built! End of discussion. Over his five years with the Falcons, Sanders found his way to the end zone ten times (three defensive, three kick returns, two punt returns, and two receptions). Deion played football primarily at cornerback, (a shutdown corner) but also as a kick returner, punt returner and occasionally as a running back or wide receiver. During the 1989 season, he hit a major league home run and scored a touchdown in the NFL in the same week, the only player ever to do so. Sanders is also the only man to play in both a Super Bowl and a World Series. He has two SB Rings. Class of 2011 HOF!!! Matt who?

Carolina was achieving ample pass rush with minimal blitzes -- i.e. four man rush flat out beating us. that leaves 7 in coverage while Matt has <3-4 seconds to throw the ball. Can we hold him liable for his mistakes? Yea, but it has to be kept in perspective. It's not that Matt didn't play bad (the whole team did), but...other players were more immediately responsible for the outcome of the game and those players are more easily upgraded. Just curious, who would be an upgrade over Matt? I think it's easier to ask who might be an upgrade over Schraeder, Blalock, and Stone. Or, what can we do to further develop these players?

This whole discussion of Matt's value and quality is really infuriating for anyone with a clue.

Edited by Dyinglobster

How many of you were sitting at home saying "throw the ball"?

If your internal clock was going off, then his should have as well. Sure he had pressure but he also held the ball entirely too long..and was very indecisive for most of the day.

That pressure was coming from 4 players, with 7 dropping back in tight coverage, wasn't anybody open.

Ryan blows in critical games. I honestly think he needs to have his eyes checked. I don't need to list his issues here. We've all seen them and too many times.

Same can be said of Roddy White at this point. Peyton Manning also struggles in these situations historically. Given enough opportunities though, Matt, just as Peyton, can crack that mythical "big game, clutch" thing people love talking about. Let's work on continuing to get those opportunities rather than throwing the guy who presents the best hope we have of capitalizing on it under the bus.

I thought Matt Ryan should've been pulled from yesterdays game based on the o-line's play.

Edited by Dyinglobster

you ever notice how teams don't mind playing our wide receivers so close?

Its not because our receivers are slow, and if your a member of the Objective Thinking Crew you simply believe its because Ryan doesn't have the cannon to take the ball deep.

Both reasons are wrong, its because opponents know Matt has to throw the ball within two seconds of the snap. That is it, if Matt takes 3 seconds he will be sacked or flushed out the pocket.

Yesterday Matt Ryan threw picks desperately trying to get something going, but in reality we were out played in the trenches and people had no time to get open.

It was a rough game to watch but its the game we needed sadly to right this ship.

Make teams pay for pressure. Matt in big games just runs to the left and floats balls to the right.