Mckay Was Actually A Better Gm Than Dimitroff!

As bad a GM as McKay was, he was actually a better GM than TD!

At least McKay's roster didn't develop huge holes that took us completely by surprise. His O line carried us through all the early years of TD's success. When those guys eventually retired or moved on, and we started relying on TD's picks, it got ugly FAST.

McKay was consistently below average, but Dimitroff is nothing but a faker.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont overreact please. The team TD built took us to NFCC

Not really. It only looks that way. All TD did was put the "glitzy" pieces onto the framework that McKay built. (And it WAS NOT a very good framework. I am NOT saying McKay was a good GM ... he was BAD).

When it came time for us to rely on TD's framework pieces, our whole house fell down.

McKay tried to build a sky scraper, but only built a wood hut. Dimitroff inhjerited the wood hut, bought a fancy car for the garage, and let the walls rot around us.

Dont overreact please. The team TD built took us to NFCC

McKay had some big missteps too, but I don't think this argument is all that crazy considering the way the defense was constructed during TDs tenure and the way these last two years have gone. Ultimately, TDs teams made it to the postseason more often and that probably gives him the edge even though he had a franchise QB and a better coach.

McKay had some big missteps too, but I don't think this argument is all that crazy considering the way the defense was constructed during TDs tenure and the way these last two years have gone. Ultimately, TDs teams made it to the postseason more often and that probably gives him the edge even though he had a franchise QB and a better coach.

Right, that's how it looks. I thought that up until recently too.

But it wasn't really TD's team that made it to the playoffs all those years. It was McKay's O line and D line, with a few key skill positions provided by TD.

When enough time finally passed that we started to rely on TD's O and D line, we found out it was barely *high school level*.

That's what I'm trying to say. McKay could field a mediocre but at least NFL caliber team. TD hollowed out the infrastructure and left us with something that doesn't belong on an NFL field.

Mckay can't hold td's jockstrap. Has mckay ever drafted an elite qb or wr?

I dunno, maybe not. But the Ryan pick was pretty easy to get right. And paying a ton for Julio was ballsy, but it did not exactly require a crystal ball.

On the other hand, has McKay ever so completely gutted a team of O line and D line talent that they didn't even belong on an NFL field? (I'm not really up on what McKay did before coming to Atlanta, but I doubt it).

People keep pointing out that TD took us to the playoffs, and that he got some picks right (Ryan and Julio, for example).

Yes, I acknowledge he did those things, and McKay didn't.

But look at the downside too. TD basically decimated our lines of scrimmage. Has any GM ever botched up the lines as badly as TD? This has got to be one of the worst GM mismanagements of the lines ever. That's what actually makes him worse than McKay.

Edited by DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins

Bump this post!!!

TD has failed this organization with poor draft choices & free agent pick ups.... 5 + years to build a New England type organization..... what a joke

Belichick built the Patriots.

TD just fetched the list of names.

Belichick did the evaluations and Chose the players.

Not Pioli,, Not TD,, Not Josh McDaniels

TD needs to go. We been needing a pass rusher since TD cut Abe. nothing yet!! And to sign deadbeat OT Baker for all this money?? TD has to go..

3/12/2013: Signed a six-year, $41.1 million contract. The deal contains $14.25 million guaranteed -- a $10 million signing bonus and each of Baker's first two base salaries. Another $3.9 million is available through escalators. 2014: $3.25 million (+ $4 million option bonus), 2015: $4.5 million, 2016: $5.25 million, 2017: $6.5 million, 2018: $6.6 million, 2019: Free Agent

And we will be saying the same thing in the next 4-5 years if we fire TD.

Find me a good GM with a bad HC.

Hard to look good when your HC would rather trot out 3 DTs than actual pass rushers. The one game they used multiple pass rushers multiple times, the defense looked good (Week 16 vs Saints).

I'll laugh when we're back in the NFCCG in two years with most of TDs players if he's gone. Two time executive of the year will be in some other team's FO before Smitty even finds another job interview.

Actually, both McKay and TD guys are hugely under appreciated by our stupid fanbase. The same Fanbase that BEGGED TD to trade 5 valuable picks away for a WR at the expense of the lines, and now thinks he's was negligent for not building an OL and replacing a Turner, Abe, Gonzo with what little we had left after that trade.

Both McKay and TD inheritted a team in a very unhealthy cap position, both had fantastic first seasons and turned the team around and make a team that was one of the top 2 in the conference. Both also lost their way after building good teams, by underinvesting in the lines and hugely over-investing in the WR position.

McKay's problem was that many of the key players on his team were old and declined quickly, and he didn't do an adequate in of replacing them. He also had the Vick situation and the cap issues resulting from his huge contract. TD had younger team, but mismanaged the transition that came when his early draft pick became free agents. He simply traded away too many picks at a time when we were under increasing cap pressures. The combination of a shortage of picks and cap room was fatal, and forced our hand into some risky decisions that didn't pan out.

TD may have got us out of it in 2014 if we'd stayed healthy on the OL and if we hadn't built to accommodate a flawed defensive scheme where the pass rush was sacrificed for stouter space eating DL - which is on the coaches. We needed to run a pure 3-4 or 4-3 and invest all our resources in scheme specific talent. Instead, we ended up with a dysfunctional mix of 3-4 and 4-3 personnel, trying and failing to play a flawed scheme.