Televised Idiocy

trudweathers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

What's the confusion? He's just saying that he thinks the Panthers would make a deeper playoff run if they get in, but he doesn't think they will because he thinks they'll lose to us.

What's the confusion? He's just saying that he thinks the Panthers would make a deeper playoff run if they get in, but he doesn't think they will because he thinks they'll lose to us.

But that logic is non sequitur. How can he, on the one hand, say the Panthers would make a deeper playoff run than the Falcons if, on the other hand, they're not even good enough to beat the team he says wouldn't make as deep a playoff run as the Panthers? huh.png

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

But that logic is non sequitur. How can he, on the one hand, say the Panthers would make a deeper playoff run if, on the other hand, they're not even good enough to beat the team he says would not make as deep a playoff run as the Panthers? huh.png

He thinks that the Panthers match up better against the other playoff teams than the Falcons do?

I'm not saying that I agree or that I even have an opinion on the matter, just saying what the guy is probably thinking.

But that logic is non sequitur. How can he, on the one hand, say the Panthers would make a deeper playoff run than the Falcons if, on the other hand, they're not even good enough to beat the team he says wouldn't make as deep a playoff run as the Panthers? huh.png

Quit confusing me with fancy words, Banker. unsure.png

The conventional wisdom is that teams with a better Defense are primed to make a deeper playoff run than teams who depend on their Offense. The NYG are the posterboys for this argument. And it does make sense, given that a good Defense usually stays consistent, even on the road, regardless of the weather.

But it fails to account for Defenses that didn't start off the season very well, but got better as the year wore on and were playing their best in the playoffs. The 2010 Packers and Indy's lone SB run are good examples of this. Those teams had injuries on D that healed up in time for the playoffs, and that's not the case with the Falcons (e.g., WillyMo being out for the rest of the season). Given how they are constructed, i've always thought the 2009 Saints were the model of how the Falcons would need to win - an offense that can move the ball on anyone, with a D that is opportunistic.

Hopefully the Falcons win this Sunday and we get to see how much momentum can be generated.