Falcons Fans, Please Recognize Murphy's Law

isproab

I bring this up because I've said it a couple of times this year and I'm amazed at how it was a "Fire Sale" and everything must go. Now over the last 2 or 3 days I've seen topics about Smith and TD both not being the problem.

Just in case you don't know, "Murphy's Law" is the old adage of "whatever can go wrong, will go wrong." I've basically said the same thing by stating that this year "was a bad year." The start was bad, it just threw everything else out of whack. We had coaching issues, we had injury issues, we had on the field bad play by players. It's one of those years where if this were a video game, we would have all hit the "reset" button after week 5 or 6.

I don't think you can take a year like this (bad record, but still in control of our own destiny), preceded by an even worse year and think that everything must go and even the good players need to be looked at. No matter the size of the contract, Matt Ryan is worth his paycheck and he is not the issue. Julio Jones is part of the answer and he is going to get paid (no, not a Calvin Johnson type of contract). Trufant is one of the best young CBs in the NFL. Alford may not be in the same galaxy, but he is going to form that young duo with Trufant. Alford has had some good moments as well as bad. Mike Smith, most will agree, he is a great guy, but he does seem to get it wrong in game at a critical moment. TD has be 50-50 with his draft picks and most of the free agents have been misses. His overall philosophy about defensive talent has hurt this team.

Blank has a difficult task. There is enough blame for everyone, but there are also redeeming qualities in all. I just know this, if you keep going forward with the same group, it isn't magically going to get better. Even before 2013 & 2014 this team was missing a gene. The entire mixture needs to be changed in order to truly be a better team.

If you look at the way the team is playing now versus how they were playing in week 5, two things come to mind that stick out:

1. The defense was/is absolutely horrendous. Worse than we thought. 32nd ranked was not what I thought would happen entering the season. They had zero chemistry and tackles and reads were constantly missed. However now, they seem to be in sync with one another and the run defense is much better. They still aren't good by any means, but they are playing better as a unit for how talentless they are as individuals.

2. The offensive line lost a ton of players to injury very fast. An o-line has to gel and needs time to build chemistry together. That's why in the Ravens game, all we did was throw screens and didn't move the ball at all because Smith and Koetter knew the o-line couldn't protect Ryan at all and that he was going to need to get rid the ball quick. The current line that has been playing together has stayed healthy for over half a season now and they are playing better together and now the offense is lighting it up.

I hate to use the injury card again, but honestly, if the same o-line that entered week one was still on the field today, I actually think the Falcons are 9-6 right now and not 6-9. It was easy to point the finger at Smith and TD during that frustrating 5 game losing streak, but the performance of the team now versus what it was 8 weeks ago is pretty interesting. It really is a long season

Edited by JD dirtybird21

If you look at the way the team is playing now versus how they were playing in week 5, two things come to mind that stick out:

1. The defense was/is absolutely horrendous. Worse than we thought. 32nd ranked was not what I thought would happen entering the season. They had zero chemistry and tackles and reads were constantly missed. However now, they seem to be in sync with one another and the run defense is much better. They still aren't good by any means, but they are playing better as a unit for how talentless they are as individuals.

2. The offensive line lost a ton of players to injury very fast. An o-line has to gel and needs time to build chemistry together. That's why in the Ravens game, all we did was throw screens and didn't move the ball at all because Smith and Koetter knew the o-line couldn't protect Ryan at all and that he was going to need to get rid the ball quick. The current line has playing together has stayed healthy for over half a season now and they are playing better together and now the offense is lighting it up.

I hate to use the injury card again, but honestly, if the same o-line that entered week one was still on the field today, I actually think the Falcons are 9-6 right now and not 6-9. It was easy to point the finger at Smith and TD during that frustrating 5 game losing streak, but the performance of the team now versus what it was 8 weeks ago is pretty interesting. It really is a long season

The defense is starting to get good at the right time. From the start of the second half of the Green Bay game, the D has looked like an NFL caliber defense. We will see if it's for real with the Panthers, and if they can hold Carolina to about 100 rush yards combined.

The defense is starting to get good at the right time. From the start of the second half of the Green Bay game, the D has looked like an NFL caliber defense. We will see if it's for real with the Panthers, and if they can hold Carolina to about 100 rush yards combined.

They're getting sacks turnovers and ending drives more often than in the beginning of the season which is literally better than the nothing they were producing.

ok,I have a couple questions,did we replace our strength and conditioning coach after the NFCCG?If I recall we had a kettle bell guy who concentrated on joint strength.He got fired and we went to a traditional weight and muscle build guy because"we needed to get bigger".sooooooo,here we are with TWO tears of horrendous injuries but we did get bigger.Can't we do both? bring that guy back that kept us joint healthy and still work on strength and mass.

2. The offensive line lost a ton of players to injury very fast. An o-line has to gel and needs time to build chemistry together. That's why in the Ravens game, all we did was throw screens and didn't move the ball at all because Smith and Koetter knew the o-line couldn't protect Ryan at all and that he was going to need to get rid the ball quick. The current line that has been playing together has stayed healthy for over half a season now and they are playing better together and now the offense is lighting it up.

I really felt bad for Hawley when he got hurt. We tried him at center early on, didn't work. Then he played at guard and wasn't great there. It did appear that he was ready this year. I thought center was the least of our problems after seeing him early on. Baker, Holmes and Konz were nothing to write home about coming into 2014. Losing those 3 along with Hawley at the top of the depth chart just killed this team.

The blessing in disguise is Stone. No doubt in my mind that he is Matt's center for the next 5 to 6 years. I think he has had 2 penalties called on him. He has been a stabilizing force. Ryan Schraeder may be the next Clabo. The way he has played for all these games, I don't think there is a need to try and find another RT. Its his job in 2015 and on. We just have to hope guys stay healthy.

Guest facelessman07

No problem with Smitty if he could do this:

1. Learn clock-management

2. Stay on the throttle both offensively and defensively when we are up

3. Play the best players

You're asking too much