How The Saints Go From Salary Cap **** To Cap Heaven

nola90

The year is over for the Saints, I'm now going into a food-coma, so why not post how the Loomis magic is going to happen again this year.

Currently, Saints sit at 160.5mil salary. The projected cap is 140mil-145mil.

In a few easy steps, I'm going to turn the Saints into free agent haven.

Restructure: This is purely moving money around and only done for players you intend to keep. These 4 will be done, I bet my left nut on it.

Junior Galette: Roster Bonus of 12.5mil, converted and spread over 5 years -> 15.45mil cap hit into 4.95mil

Jimmy Graham: Roster Bonus of 5.0mil converted and spread over 3 years -> 11mil cap hit into 6.1mil

Jairus Byrd: Roster Bonus of 6.0mil converted and spread over 5 years -> 10.3mil cap hit into 4.4mil

Curtis Lofton: Roster Bonus of 4.5mil converted and spread over 3 years -> 9.0mil cap hit into 4.9mil

160.5mil cap hit -> 135.1mil cap hit

Cut:
Jahri Evans: 11.0mil cap hit; 6.0mil savings, 5.0mil dead money - Pro Bowl or not, he's one of the lowest rated guards in the league, he made it on name alone. He's either dealing with the back injury from 2013 again or he fell off a cliff. Even local reporters called him out on his poor play and they're usually idiots. I've watched the pocket collapse on him way too many times and its time for him to retire.

Brodrick Bunkley: 6.1mil cap hit; 2.9mil savings, 3.2mil dead money - Its time to cut bait on old aging DTs that can't do much for the DL. He isn't a pass rusher and the run defense was solid even without him. For 6.1mil as a situational player, it isn't worth it. If he's taking another pay cut, sure, but if not then the 3mil can be used elsewhere.

David Hawthorne: 6.0mil cap hit; 3.0mil savings, 3.0mil dead money - ever since year 1 of his contract, he's been underperforming and its time to find a stud to put next to lofton and this atrocious LB corp.

Rafael Bush: 1.95mil cap hit; 1.95mil savings, 0.0mil dead money - Its a luxury we don't need. The 3 safety set wasn't deployed much of this year and with the amount of safeties we have on our roster, the play improved without him as well. 0 dead money is VERY attractive.

135.1mil cap hit -> 121.3mil cap hit

That is still without touching Colston's contract, removing another guard (Grubbs: 9.6mil cap hit, 3.6mil savings, 6.0mil dead), and signing any potential players to an extension (Lewis, Jordan, and Brees).

All of that while only having 125.5mil cap hit going into 2016 as well. Notable FA's in 2016?

- Cameron Jordan

- Akiem Hicks

- Nick Toon

- Khiry Robinson

Major free agents this year we lose:
Patrick Robinson (solid #2 CB after the first 2 weeks, top 10 DB rated if you take away those two weeks)

Mark Ingram (breakout season as a full time RB)

Key missing positions:
Guard

Center

ILB/OLB

DT

#2 CB

Free Agents that are possible attractions:
Mike Iupati (All-Pro guard, great pass protection and even better run blocking, sources say disgruntled with SF and they won't break bank since they have Alex Boone and Joe Looney)

James Carpenter

Orlando Franklin
Jah Reid

No good or worthy center in FA, this is a draft

OLB/ILB that are decent replacements/potential cheap guys:

Brandon Graham (OLB, wants to return to a 4-3 defense and play on the outside in his natural position)

Geno Hayes (OLB, solid play in limited snaps. Average pass coverage)

Dan Scuta (ILB, solid play as a backup guy. Average pass coverage, can play OLB)

Jabaal Sheard (OLB, more of a pass rusher in a 3-4, but he's been rocky)

Sam Acho (OLB in a 3-4, definitely someone who's been on my radar. he's up and down, but he fits into arizona's scheme).

Not many "middle" of the road DTs this draft. Maybe if they want to take a flyer on Fairley and get his weight controlled.

#2CB
Chris Culliver

Patrick Robinson

Perrish Cox

Edited by nola90

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no no no!! You are doing it all wrong!! The mantra and accepted doctrine is that the Saints are in salary cap HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL and will NEVER recover!! EVERY YEAR they are doomed...DOOMED I tell you...doomed with the salary cap. They are a failure and will implode. Loomis is an idiot and knows nothing. C'mon son... get with the program.

Lol so you're restructuring contracts, cuting players bringing in free agents and back loading their contracts and filling holes with the draft.

Thats a likely scenario. But guess what it will lead to?

Cap. ****.

The Saints just need to unload some contracts sign cheap free agents and ride this thing out because it will never end if they keep trying to make due year to year.

No no no no!! You are doing it all wrong!! The mantra and accepted doctrine is that the Saints are in salary cap HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL and will NEVER recover!! EVERY YEAR they are doomed...DOOMED I tell you...doomed with the salary cap. They are a failure and will implode. Loomis is an idiot and knows nothing. C'mon son... get with the program.

Lol denial. It's Ok man.

Just let me know when the salary cap HELLLLLLLLLLLL actually gets here. Because EVERY YEAR it's here and yet it isn't. I'll wait. Not saying it won't happen but the RC prognosticators claim that it is here every year, and yet...

What's been said is the things the saints were doing would bring it on. Last offseason I don't think anyone objective couldn't say the writing was on the wall.

You'll deny it as it happens before your eyes. When they hit the cap number next year you'll say something sarcastic about the impending doom completely overlooking what had to happen to make it work.

What's been said is the things the saints were doing would bring it on. Last offseason I don't think anyone objective couldn't say the writing was on the wall.

You'll deny it as it happens before your eyes. When they hit the cap number next year you'll say something sarcastic about the impending doom completely overlooking what had to happen to make it work.

None of this is true. Every year, what has been said is that the Saints are in Cap Hellllllllll next year. They can't do it. Followed by, well, ok, Loomis did it THIS year but NEXT year you guys are DONE!!

Secondly, I am extremely objective and when the Saints screw up I will say THE SAINTS SCREWED UP. I am not a Saints apologist. It's just funny how here in RC, the Saints are the worst at EVERYTHING. They are the worst. But yet when facts are brought up, it's like they don't exist.

I promise you, when and if the Saints hit cap HELLLLLLLLLL, I will say, they are in Cap Helllllllllllll. There's nothing else to say. It will be obvious, what would be the point of denying it?

None of this is true. Every year, what has been said is that the Saints are in Cap Hellllllllll next year. They can't do it. Followed by, well, ok, Loomis did it THIS year but NEXT year you guys are DONE!!Secondly, I am extremely objective and when the Saints screw up I will say THE SAINTS SCREWED UP. I am not a Saints apologist. It's just funny how here in RC, the Saints are the worst at EVERYTHING. They are the worst. But yet when facts are brought up, it's like they don't exist.I promise you, when and if the Saints hit cap HELLLLLLLLLL, I will say, they are in Cap Helllllllllllll. There's nothing else to say. It will be obvious, what would be the point of denying it?

You're letting your hurt feelings cloud your judgement. I'm not sure what you're talking about

Everything I did was something that Loomis has done the past 3 years, restructuring contracts the contracts he sets up. Cap **** isn't there, how we end the 2015 season in cap, we're going to end the 2016 (since the only main guy is Cam Jordan).

I cut long-term players that cost a crap-ton, the only players that I didn't release were Colston (who is still a solid receiver, but not for cost) and Grubbs (who is the best of the 3 crapfest in the middle).

I hope we can get Iupati though...

The saints have been kicking the can down the road for too long now. You get away with that for a while but in the end it will bit you in the arse. There are many holes that need to be filled and contracts on Byrd, JG, not to mention Breesus are not helping. There is a lot of guaranteed money that went out to make the saint possibly 7-9 this season. All the swampers were praising Loomis but this past off season has taken a chuck out of his ares and next off season ain't going to be any easier as there is more to fix and less money to do it with!

I agree, but you have to consider the fact that we were planning this from the start, our window is small and Andrew Lucks and Aaron Rodgers don't fall to every team. This is giving us the possibility of prosperity for 5 years, and killing us for a couple years after those prosperity years. The issue is the core of our team (the offensive line) is costing us way too much, 16mil this year, and produced the worst interior line in the league.

Pushing back contracts should have hit us hard, but we benefited from the salary cap jumping up more than anticipated. you know that, I know that, we all know that. We got our *** saved. This year we can make a lot of changes that was predicted and go into the season in better shape than we ended. The core that is young and producing is staying with us for the same low cost, the old aging vets that cost a ton of money are getting cut. The two things we need to do is hit GOOD offensive lineman in the draft (Center and the 2nd guard) and be able to sign Iupati to this offensive line. We all saw Evans get blown up over and over last sunday, we all know he isn't deserving of that pro bowl.

And we again start 6 months of salary cap speculation.

NOBODY here understands how the cap works.

And as usual, some will be scratching their heads in about 6 months.

Truth.

There are so many ways to rework the cap, that we really don't understand.

Cap increases, contract restructures, etc.

Lol, this denial is fun to watch. I remember when we were in denial too, because it seemingly never happened. Then it suddenly did.

Enjoy it while you can, because the hammer is coming down sooner rather than later. Might not be this coming season, maybe not even the following one... but it is coming.

The past couple of years I didn't even bother commenting on the Saints' cap situation, because I knew it was pretty useless. It takes a while for it to really manifest itself.

I mean everything I did to show how Loomis is going to pretty much "save us" is in the paper and how restructure/cut is going to work against the cap too...

I even threw in 2016's cap hit after those moves as well to show how decent we're off for two years while MAYBE only losing 1 good player if even..

Everyone knows its coming, but the way you guys had contracts structured compared to Loomis' doing are different. There's a reason why DeAngelo Williams' contract is so bloated that you couldn't cut him for a profit from 2013 up to 2017 as opposed to a player of ours such as Curtis Lofton who we're stuck with between 2012-2014. ****, even Jairus Byrd's contract we're only technically "stuck" with him for 2014. We can technically cut him to create cap space this offseason (10.3mil cap, 8.8mil dead).

Edited by nola90