Be Careful What You Wish For

NCCooley

I have been a Falcons fan almost from the beginning (1970). I once met Tommy Nobis at the old Sears on Ponce de Leon, where he was signing autographs. I have suffered through the early losing seasons, experienced the excitement of the Gritz Blitz, the Golden Pole (Steve Bartkowski), Captain Crazy (Fulton Kuykendal) and the two Big Ben plays that defeated the hated Saints (living in NOLA for the second one), the devastating loss to the Cowboys in 1979, the consistent slide into mediocrity under Rankin and the other Smiths, the Run and Gun, Jeff Jones, Bobby Herbert, Jerry Glanville and tickets for Elvis, the highs and lows of Dan Reeves, Jim Mora and Petrino. In short, I bleed Black and Red!.

I never understood the firing of Leeman Bennet, and the eventual rehiring of Marion Campbell. Bennett was the only winning coach the Falcons had until Jim Mora. Now people want to fire the man who brought the Falcons out of the muck of Vick and Petrino, the man who holds the franchise record for wins, the man that pro players want to come to Atlanta to play for, and the man who has taken the Birds to more playoff games than any other coach in team history. Yes he is Old School Conservative. (Most Georgians should understand conservative!) Bringing in any other coach, Belichick included, is a huge gamble, and guarantees the destruction of the most successful regime in franchise history.

Be careful what you wish for! You just might get it.

Edited by NCCooley

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest facelessman07

10-21 ain't successful. 1-4 in the playoffs ain't successful

I wish for a change because I wish what is best for this franchise

Why are you so content with mediocrity? Why aren't you "Rising Up?"

10-21 ain't successful. 1-4 in the playoffs ain't successful

I wish for a change because I wish what is best for this franchise

Why are you so content with mediocrity? Why aren't you "Rising Up?"

convient you left out the other 5 years so i ll fix it for you. 66-45, i d say that is successful.

Guest facelessman07

convient you left out the other 5 years so i ll fix it for you. 66-45, i d say that is successful.

Lol yeah sure lets rely on records established years ago rather than recent history to accurately determine the direction of this team

Brilliant

Every "great" team had to make that "tough" decision. Hopefully Blank has the balls to make that. From all the reports, it sounds as though he has

Lol yeah sure lets rely on records established years ago rather than recent history to accurately determine the direction of this team

Brilliant

Every "great" team had to make that "tough" decision. Hopefully Blank has the balls to make that. From all the reports, it sounds as though he has

i'm not saying Smitty has to stay, but your claim above is the one that's laughable.

"years ago"?? We're not talking about Tom Landry in 1988. TWO seasons ago, Smitty was coaching in the NFCCG as the HC of the #1 seed. To dismiss what happened in 2012 as 'too long ago' is what a teenager might do...of course, that would explain the affinity for third eye blind, lol

Brilliant

well then hope you are not on the rex ryan bandwagon.

Guest facelessman07

I understand your pain. Things wouldn't change with a new coaching staff anyways. TD is the problem.

TD is a huge problem but without Smith we've already punched our ticket to the playoffs

I'm just shocked, and quite horrified to see how some are content with playing guys out of position, lack of adjustments, soft zone scheme exposing weaknesses in players, poor clock control, obsession with "perfect penalty-free" football, the constant micromanagement, playing vets in favor of better players, chastising our players in meetings for having heart, lack of killer instinct, playing scared football, and sitting on top of leads that have left many with chest pains I am sure of. The list goes on my friend...those are just the most obvious. In a sense, that's being content with mediocrity. I'm pissed of for greatness. I don't need 1 game to tell me what the past several seasons have...

And no, these problems were not fixed after 1 game. We've been down that road before after week 3 this year

I'm shocked. Horrified at the prospects of keeping him and how some fans are okay with that. Those same fans will be screaming for his head the minute he screws up the next game, only weeks after praising him and calling for his return

Bi-polar. Only explanation

They both need to go. But if I've got a gun to my head I'm screaming for Smith to go

Guest facelessman07

I don't think it is possible to have a brain without a face..lol

If some of you are going to pull the whole "you're an idiot for not agreeing with me so I shall insult you" trick then I think there are much larger issues that need to be addressed

Hurting people "try" to hurt people

I hope you can find some semblance of peace

I have been a Falcons fan almost from the beginning (1970). I once met Tommy Nobis at the old Sears on Ponce de Leon, where he was signing autographs. I have suffered through the early losing seasons, experienced the excitement of the Gritz Blitz, the Golden Pole (Steve Bartkowski), Captain Crazy (Fulton Kuykendal) and the two Big Ben plays that defeated the hated Saints (living in NOLA for the second one), the devastating loss to the Cowboys in 1979, the consistent slide into mediocrity under Rankin and the other Smiths, the Run and Gun, Jeff Jones, Bobby Herbert, Jerry Glanville and tickets for Elvis, the highs and lows of Dan Reeves, Jim Mora and Petrino. In short, I bleed Black and Red!.

I never understood the firing of Leeman Bennet, and the eventual rehiring of Marion Campbell. Bennett was the only winning coach the Falcons had until Jim Mora. Now people want to fire the man who brought the Falcons out of the muck of Vick and Petrino, the man who holds the franchise record for wins, the man that pro players want to come to Atlanta to play for, and the man who has taken the Birds to more playoff games than any other coach in team history. Yes he is Old School Conservative. (Most Georgians should understand conservative!) Bringing in any other coach, Belichick included, is a huge gamble, and guarantees the destruction of the most successful regime in franchise history.

Be careful what you wish for! You just might get it.

I agree with you 100%. Most fans only understand fire the coach...that's all they know

Guest facelessman07

i'm not saying Smitty has to stay, but your claim above is the one that's laughable.

"years ago"?? We're not talking about Tom Landry in 1988. TWO seasons ago, Smitty was coaching in the NFCCG as the HC of the #1 seed. To dismiss what happened in 2012 as 'too long ago' is what a teenager might do...of course, that would explain the affinity for third eye blind, lol

Because my love of a great band and the fact that I'm not content with mediocrity is indeed, laughable

Now that's Krazy, Kaptain

I fail to see where 2 years ago got us. Nowhere, so stop living in the past

Edited by facelessman07