Am I The Only One Hoping

Macknsweetjones

HeIl no, you're not alone. It's absolutely pathetic an injury had to take place for the better backs to get more snaps, and now I have to hope SJax is too injured to play thanks in part to the coaching staff who will undoubtedly go back to giving him all the snaps if he's able to go. We are just a different offense with Quizz/Freeman out there, and it's an improved offense

If Koetter isn't going to use a FB when he runs SJax up the middle, then no, you're not alone. Sjax is a lot like Turner was in that his best runs are when he can hit the hole hard running North-South. If he has to make any kind of move behind the LOS or move laterally, he is slow as molasses and gets tackled too easily.

Freeman's running style is much more compatible with the kind of running game Koetter seems to prefer. Using him and Quizz (who is still the best pass-blocking RB on the roster) makes more sense given what the Falcons can't do (get good push from the OL)

You have to weigh in many factors to decide who our best RB is going to be in this offense.. We are pass happy, we do not get a surge at the LOS, we complete many passes to our RB's, we do not use a FB often. It couldn't be clearer Quizz/Freeman fit our offense infinitely more than a massive road grading RB who can't get to the outside or make players miss

We must be watching different games

LOL, yeah.

Jackson is a big strong dude, experienced, smart, doesn't make mistakes......everything Smitty likes. Safe.....not flashy. But he's not a threat for a huge gain. Zero threat around corners.

Smitty knows how good our other two backs are too. He won't let the O coaches ignore them. NOT this coming week.

It's ALL hands on deck.

LOL, yeah.

Jackson is a big strong dude, experienced, smart, doesn't make mistakes......everything Smitty likes. Safe.....not flashy. But he's not a threat for a huge gain. Zero threat around corners.

Smitty knows how good our other two backs are too. He won't let the O coaches ignore them. NOT this coming week.

It's ALL hands on deck.

It's why I'm very confident Smitty has his hands in both the offense and defense.. SJax is the epitome of what Smitty desires. Doesn't fumble, doesn't run backwards, good attitude, etc. The younger guys might make a mistake, but they will also have runs (like the Freeman TD) you will simply never get from SJax..

Smitty's first comment when asked about the younger RB's Sunday in NO.. "I thought they had great ball security"

Which I appreciate. I follow Smith's train of thought in regards to penalties and turnovers being so much more important than they are usually taken for, but God dam. Drill it into the younger guys that they have to hold on to the ball and then give them the snaps

I don't wish injury upon anyone.. But I was pretty happy that our other backs had carries because if it. Sjax doesn't have consistent fire in his legs anymore. Freeman does. Give freeman the touches Sjax gets and he will show he can be a more productive RB1.

I've been wanting Freeman and even Quizz to get more touches. I just think they give us something running the ball that SJax doesn't at this stage. That's not all on Steven though. At times I hate the formations we try to run him out of (no FB) and I hate that we seem to try and have him get the edge so often. That's just not really what he does anymore.

Take the Freeman TD, he hits the hole, puts a move on a diving DB, and was gone. No way Jackson takes that to the house at this stage.

Quizz is not fast but he's elusive and is good to get that unexpected 3-6 yards even if he won't take one to the house on guys.

That mofo ain't never averaged 4.0 ypc or scored more than 2 TDs. He is the Harry Dougle of RBs. I hope like hail Free, Tone and Gurley are our backs next year. That would be downright scary.

Heard some guys on one of the NFL post-game shows say the Falcons have a better chance to win if Jackson doesn't start. I don't disagree at all. Freeman give the offense an added dimension - speed.

I'm not arguing at all, but I just looked (at Wikipedia) and Jackson coming out of Oregon was 4.45, whereas Freebird was 4.5....anybody see anything that remotely resembles that?

Yes, I know Jackson is probably 12 years older than Freebird