Realistic Conversation

Tribal Chief

Let's all be honest. This week is gonna be tough for both teams. Both teams defenses have been good the last month. Both offenses have been on over the last month. I truly and honestly expect this to be a very close game. Both quarterbacks are gonna have to play lights out football in order to win.

Imo, the running games are close but I think Carolina has the edge.

The Falcons have the better receiving group. Carolina has a better tight end

I think Atlanta has the better O Line and I don't really know about Carolinas dline. Carolina is a notch better at line backer and I want to say the falcons have the better secondary.

I could be wrong but then again I'm not pretending to be a know it all. Just want to have a realistic conversation to finish the season. There hasn't been much of that this year

Let's all be honest. This week is gonna be tough for both teams. Both teams defenses have been good the last month. Both offenses have been on over the last month. I truly and honestly expect this to be a very close game. Both quarterbacks are gonna have to play lights out football in order to win.

Imo, the running games are close but I think Carolina has the edge.

The Falcons have the better receiving group. Carolina has a better tight end

I think Atlanta has the better O Line and I don't really know about Carolinas dline. Carolina is a notch better at line backer and I want to say the falcons have the better secondary.

I could be wrong but then again I'm not pretending to be a know it all. Just want to have a realistic conversation to finish the season. There hasn't been much of that this year

Fairly reasonable points. I think that, due to how close this matchup is, you want to take a look at special teams. We have the better return game, and our last matchup was literally decided by the fact that we have money in the bank Matt Bryant kicking for us, and Graham Gano missed the biggest kick of their season. The kicking and return game could be huge at the end of the day!

If we get after Cam like we did Brees, I'm not sure he makes it through the game. Not wishing injury on the guy but Brees got crushed. Just not sure Cam could get through that kind of a beating...

This ^ with that fker one thing to get after him, another thing to bring him down.....we still got to tackle better, vs. the Saints was a lot of bad tackling especially early....

I can't believe you said the running games are comparable?!!! Stewart has rushed for 350+ yards the last 3 games. Cam has rushed about 160 yards the last two. They are going to be the toughest rushing attack we faced because they're clicking.

And to say our defense has been is also oversimplification. Our run defense has been really good after the bye (except one game). Our passing defense has played true to their last place ranking. However, we have been very opportunistic, forcing 9 INTs and 4 lost fumbles in the last 7 games.

The potential good news is that our recently found strength against the run matches Carolina's strength which is the run. If we can control Stewart and Cam's scrambling, we have an excellent shot at winning this game.

Carolina's special team is atrocious. They probably have the worst return coverage of any team in the NFL. This is one area that we need to exploit. They are going to kick it away from Hester, which is why we have to have a contingency plan, like a second returner.

Crowd NOISE will be a factor Sunday.

Cam Newton is just a pure RAW athletic machine (when healthy). The complete opposite of Matt Ryan.

Newton is not cerebral in the slightest. With monster noise in the Dome he will not think his way through breakdowns, miscues, or last second decision changes. Mistake prone, BIG time.

We need to break the decibel noise level.

It could be the difference.

I said last time we needed to do something special to

stop Benjamin. It is really a great opportunity for us to

pick Cam off because he has to go to Benjamin and he

Is not super accurate.

Charles Johnson has to be contained.

We get to hit Cam when he runs in a way he will remember.

Keep those things in mind and play hard.

I can't believe you said the running games are comparable?!!! Stewart has rushed for 350+ yards the last 3 games. Cam has rushed about 160 yards the last two. They are going to be the toughest rushing attack we faced because they're clicking.

And to say our defense has been is also oversimplification. Our run defense has been really good after the bye (except one game). Our passing defense has played true to their last place ranking. However, we have been very opportunistic, forcing 9 INTs and 4 lost fumbles in the last 7 games.

The potential good news is that our recently found strength against the run matches Carolina's strength which is the run. If we can control Stewart and Cam's scrambling, we have an excellent shot at winning this game.

Carolina's special team is atrocious. They probably have the worst return coverage of any team in the NFL. This is one area that we need to exploit. They are going to kick it away from Hester, which is why we have to have a contingency plan, like a second returner.

I also said that I could be wrong and that I'm not pretending to be a know it all.

I think we can take advantage of their secondary, and that front 7 is not what it was last year......Cam won't beat us thru the air, if we can keep him off point and bring him down instead of bouncing off him, we got this .....got to swarm to the football when he crosses the LOS with it......

I agree with JJ, White and HD, Ryan should have a lot of opportunities to get nice chunks of yards per pass play. I don't think they'll be able to get enough pass rush on Ryan to keep him from picking that secondary apart. We'll be in the Red Zone at least a half-dozen times, we need to score TD's when we get there.

On defense, I don't think we're going to be that easy to run against. I think Cam Newton will have to beat us by making big plays with his arm and his legs. If we can keep him bottled up in the pocket and bring him down on first contact, it will be very difficult for them to win. Home field advantage should weigh heavily in our favor in a very tight game.

Carolina is riding the longer winning streak coming into this game. They beat the Saints in NOLA worse than the Falcons did. And they won the last game between these two teams played in the Dome. In addition to playing for the same thing ATL is (home playoff game next week), they are also trying to become the first team to win consecutive NFCS titles.

Regardless of the final score, this game will likely be close for most of the game, same as yesterday's was. Division rivarly games should always be assumed to be tough.

As far as matchups, health will be key. Stewart is healthy for them and running very well. Cam isn't healthy, but Rivera isn't holding anything back and Newton's running ability will be maxed out. For the Falcons, they need Moore back on D, as his physicality from the safety position would be much more valuable vs the Panthers than it was vs the Saints.

If Julio is healthy, Ryan knows he has a matchup advantage. Hopefully Freeman gained the confidence of the coaching staff and is ready to step up. His speed off tackle and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield will keep the attention of Carolina's LBs and allow Roddy and HD to get some space in the middle of the field.

Gonna be a battle - Winner hosts a playoff game, loser is done for the season.

This is a really even match. I would have to say keep the pressure on Cam. I think Carolina will be a little nervous coming into this game since it is really a playoff game. We already faced this scenario yesterday so I think the nerves and jitters are gone for our team.

We have to stop the run game if their run game gets going it's going to be ugly for our defense. I like our chances if we make Cam try to beat us through the air. I think if we get some defensive stops and score early the pressure of the game will get to them. They didn't handle the playoffs too well at home last year and it is going to be tough going into a rocking Georgia Dome.

Sorry man, didn't mean to be rude. I was just surprised because their running game has come up really strong recently. They'll be a handful with Newton adding the threat to run.

their running game got better after Williams got injured the second time and Stewart became the work horse. But I did say that Carolina has the edge, and that's mainly because of cam.

If we can get a run game we'll win this game, can't stop our offense when we're able to run. Only problem is apparently SJax may be back this week.. And our run game is undoubtedly improved when he's out. Here's a chance for Smitty/Koetter to give me some confidence in them.. Even if SJax is healthy don't play him other than short yardage/goal line situations

Just to reiterate how bad Carolina is on special teams:

They rank dead last on opponent's kick return at 31.8 yd/att (31.8!!!!!)

They rank dead last on opponent's punt return at 15.5 yd/att (that's more than 3 yards worse than the second worst team!!)

We have to take advantage of this.

their running game got better after Williams got injured the second time and Stewart became the work horse. But I did say that Carolina has the edge, and that's mainly because of cam.

Their run game actually got better after they played the Bucs, Ain'ts, and Browns, three of the worst run defenses in the league. Don't let these guys fool you, their O-Line is still horrendous.