What If The Jimmy Graham Play Was Ruled A T D ?

Andre5000

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, our last 10 points were basically garbage points (chip-shot fg after the INT which was all we needed, the fumble recovery TD), but that was dictated by the game situation more so than offensive effectiveness. We had one real drive after the Graham fumble that mattered and we moved the ball past mid field before stalling and punting them deep, up 6 points. If the TD for Graham counts, our drives would have been much different.

It's really impossible to say. Being ahead by 13 is so much different than being ahead by 6. Who knows how the Falcons next offensive possession goes if they are only ahead by 6 instead of 13. It wouldn't have necessarily went the same way it did.

The Falcons kicked that azz all day and need not apologize for winning because of a close call at the goal line.

st like 'what if we won in CLE or DET'...it wouldnt have changed anything. we would still win the NFC South and be the #4 seed.

Going to the party is all that matters, who cares how we get there. I like that there are multiple media outlets labeling ATL as the team you dont want to run into in the playoffs now.

We almost lost the game even without Graham's fumble. McClain single-handedly saved us from total annihilation.

So.... yes, if Graham's catch was a TD I would say 75% chance we would have lost.

Exactly!

People are already forgetting what happened before that.

The Saints walked down and scored a TD. What did our offense do after that? I want to say they went 3 and out but they might have picked up a 1st.

If McClain didn't pick that pass the Saints could have very well gone and taken the lead and have given us very little time to try and come back.

The defense bailed us out but let's not forget the offense did not do their part at the end of the game. Sound familiar?

Exactly!

People are already forgetting what happened before that.

The Saints walked down and scored a TD. What did our offense do after that? I want to say they went 3 and out but they might have picked up a 1st.

If McClain didn't pick that pass the Saints could have very well gone and taken the lead and have given us very little time to try and come back.

The defense bailed us out but let's not forget the offense did not do their part at the end of the game. Sound familiar?

It's always something. If our defense steps up our offense decides to stall. And if our offense plays well our defense can't make any stops. When are we going to get both??

And yes, people are definitely overlooking the fact that the Saints got the ball with 2:30 on the clock. If not for the INT the game was basically theirs. I was already tearing up because I was sure it was about to happen again, like it did with the Browns and the Loins.

Edited by likeriver

I just think it's funny that the same people who are saying "what if" about this game where we dominated most of the time (would've been even worse with better coaching) and wound up winning by 16 are the ones saying a loss is a loss about the lions/browns games.

Funny thought...over the last 8 weeks, we're 4-4, with losses coming off a total point differential of 16 points. And they all came down to the final drive - two of which could've been wins with clock management. But I'm not going to bring that up all bitter about how we could have the division put away already, because we didn't, and we don't. It's an uphill climb but it's entertaining (and heartbreaking) to watch.

I think that the rules for a receiving TD are different from a rushing TD.

For a rushing TD, the ball has to cross the plane of the goal line. In the case of a receiving TD, the receiver must possess the ball in the end zone and complete the catch.

The call on the field was a fumble, no ref lifted his arms to declare a TD and the videos could not clearly show that the ball had crossed the plane.

So, no, that was not a TD. It was a turnover.

Edited by etherdome

I think that the rules for a receiving TD are different from a rushing TD.

For a rushing TD, the ball has to cross the plane of the goal line. In the case of a receiving TD, the receiver must possess the ball in the end zone and complete the catch.

The call on the field was a fumble, no ref lifted his arms to declare a TD and the videos could not clearly show that the ball had crossed the plane.

So, no, that was not a TD. It was a turnover.

It's funny because I am sure that every Saints fan before the fumble would have wanted the refs to keep the play alive so Graham could fight his way across the plane so there would be no question it was a TD. But it blew up in their face when the play continued and Willy Mo Two-Point-Oh stripped the ball. lmao

What would the outcome have been? Would we have still won? I think so . BUT the only reason that drive even happened is because Nolan LOVES to go 3 man rush on 3rd and long.. im so over that crap . Why do we get conservative on D when we were pounding them the entire game ?

Hate both of our coordinators so much. Both are overly passive ks that refuse to attempt to win games, they only try to not lose them, which in the NFL is a losing proposition.