Falcons Expected To Fire Mike Smith; Could Be Eyeing Broncos' Adam Gase

OC

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24906676/falcons-expected-to-fire-mike-smith-could-be-eyeing-adam-gase

Falcons owner Arthur Blank has informed multiple parties that he plans on moving on from head coach Mike Smith at the end of the season, sources said, and it would take a shocking playoff run to alter that scenario. Blank has also told some confidants that, for now, he expects to retain general manager Thomas Dimitroff, though it could be revisited through the hiring process.

Atlanta has fallen well below expectations the past two seasons, and while the Falcons are alive in the lowly NFC South despite having won just one game outside of their division all season -- against Arizona -- and have lost three of their last four. A loss to the Saints today would end their season, and even a hallow division win, at say 7-9, would not placate Blank, sources said, who believes some significant changes are necessary.

The Falcons expected to compete for a Super Bowl since 2012, and have suffered a 9-21 record the last two seasons.

While Smith is beloved in the organization, and he helped rebuild the franchise, he entered this season under pressure to improve the team and the season has been another struggle. The roster has also decayed and has had ongoing issues along the offensive and defensive line, and, depending on the pedigree of the coach Blank lands, making alterations to the front office as well could come into play.

Among the candidates the Falcons are doing due diligence on includes Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, with team president Rich McKay among those working through backchannels gathering information on top candidates. Stanford coach David Shaw could be a consideration as well.

Blank has longed to land a proven winner in the past, but with Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden staying in the broadcast booth, the number of candidates fitting that description are limited, and the Falcons next coach could end up being decidedly younger.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this article sounds like he wants someone with a massive offensive mindset to take the offense over the top.

Idk if I can value offense over defense in this decision.

I'm actually anti-defensive minded after Smitty micromanaging our defense. I've niticed the ex OCs like Payton and even Garrett as of late let the DC do their job, and even if they call plays on offense you don't see the disruption and heavy handed-ness you oftensee with ex DCs as HC.

I'd take McDaniels if he's learned from his tenure in Denver. How things went with Nolan and him still rub me the wrong way. Personally I'm probably more partial to an ex-DC that lets the OC do his thing.

Lol were the opposite. But I'm not as big a fan of nolan after his time here. Who knows maybe McDaniels and him could work together, now that josh has matured.i like the Pats synergy we'd have between McDaniels, TDand Pioli...should be on same page.

The bonus of either Shaw, gave or McDanieks is the cupboard is not bare on our offense. I think either could work well with what we have on offense, by the simple addition of either another WR or pass catching TE and a true bell cow rb...McDaniels, minus the Tebiw pick, nabbed some good talent while in Denver.

So this article sounds like he wants someone with a massive offensive mindset to take the offense over the top.

All the money is invested in offense. People keep preaching about defense but Arthur blank Knows where his money has been invested so far (Cap Space). Defense is young and in their youth but Offense is mostly Vets or "High-Caliber" Players. It sounds like Nolan may be staying on from this article, but we do need a new defensive philosophy (Play players to their strentghs)

What the **** is with the timing of this article? If it's true what the **** is wrong with Arthur fur saying these things to people?

I don't care if Blank wants to fire Smith, but **** for this to be released right before we play a heated playoff game with our divisional foe on their house is just crazy.

I doubt the players or coaches have read this but my goodness we have something much greater on our hands at least for today.

Among the candidates the Falcons are doing due diligence on includes Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, with team president Rich McKay among those working through backchannels gathering information on top candidates. Stanford coach David Shaw could be a consideration as well.

Hmmmmm................

I'm wondering whether TD will still be in place or be replaced GM next season.

All the money is invested in offense. People keep preaching about defense but Arthur blank Knows where his money has been invested so far (Cap Space). Defense is young and in their youth but Offense is mostly Vets or "High-Caliber" Players. It sounds like Nolan may be staying on from this article, but we do need a new defensive philosophy (Play players to their strentghs)

a new HC, may keep some of the position coaches , but he will want to bring in his own OC and DC...

Good post OC

I was on board till I read that McKay was working to put together a list of possible HC's, I ask isn't he dumbas that suggested Petrino? McKay can't even keep the stadium on budget why would he be trusted? And TD needs to be shamed for us role in ths debacle

Edited by Nono

Guest King Jigsaw

What the **** is with the timing of this article? If it's true what the **** is wrong with Arthur fur saying these things to people?

I don't care if Blank wants to fire Smith, but **** for this to be released right before we play a heated playoff game with our divisional foe on their house is just crazy.

I doubt the players or coaches have read this but my goodness we have something much greater on our hands at least for today.

Maybe Arthur Blank is a tanker?

I agree 100% In this, I definitely would rather a defensive minded HC. For me Rex Ryan is perfect for what this team needs going forward.

I think that's more of a reason to get someone defensive minded. We need more balance. So if the cap towards the team isn't balanced, then a strong defensive minded coach will balance it out with scheme and development.

Look at the Cardinals for example. They have their resources geared towards the defensive side of the ball and they got a strong offensive minded HC to balance out the checkbook of the team and the offense was working quite decently until all the injuries.