Here's Why Td Will Be Let Go Too

brown bomber

First of all I think AB has already made up his mind that Rex is his "A" list coach. He mentioned the A list thing after the Detroit loss so I think at that point he was done with Smitty but wanted somebody with HC experience. Bowles may be the other candidate but I think AB is set on Rex because of the name, experience, one of the best defensive coaches, and he interviewed him twice in 08 for the job.

In fact the 3 finalists for the job were Smitty, Frazier, and Rex. Back then they said that Rex wasn't "professionally compatible" with TD. If he wasn't then, then I don't think he is now either. And AB wants Rex so therefore I think TD will be let go. Of the hott names out there for GM I think Tom Gamble is the choice because he has known Rex for over 20 years and worked with Rex's dad Buddy.

First of all I think AB has already made up his mind that Rex is his "A" list coach. He mentioned the A list thing after the Detroit loss so I think at that point he was done with Smitty but wanted somebody with HC experience. Bowles may be the other candidate but I think AB is set on Rex because of the name, experience, one of the best defensive coaches, and he interviewed him twice in 08 for the job.

In fact the 3 finalists for the job were Smitty, Frazier, and Rex. Back then they said that Rex wasn't "professionally compatible" with TD. If he wasn't then, then I don't think he is now either. And AB wants Rex so therefore I think TD will be let go. Of the hott names out there for GM I think Tom Gamble is the choice because he has known Rex for over 20 years and worked with Rex's dad Buddy.

EDITED: When I saw "Tom Gamble", my first thought was "Tom Cable", who was our assistant consultant to the o line coach not that long ago. TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON, in case you had that same thought.

Edited by DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=3211259&src=desktop

This talks about the hiring of Smitty in 08 and Rex and Frazier were not professionally compatible.

Actually, the article states that Smitty was the most compatible of the three finalists. It did not mention that any candidate was not compatible.

A head coach is very different than a coordinator. There have been plenty of guys that were excellent coordinators and lousy HC's. Though I don't have the stats, it seems to me that offensive coordinators stand a better statistical chance of becoming good HC's. Perhaps someone with good research skills can prove me wrong.

The point that I want to make is that we should not jump at the hottest name on the list just because they have shown good past performance. Here is what I would look for in the next HC for the Falcons:

1. A man with a clear vision of what his team will look do. In other words, he should have an ethos.

2. A man with the skills to manage all types of personalities and cultures. He may not be charismatic, but he understands how to get the most our of everyone in his organization.

3. An intelligent man that is able to communicate his thoughts to his players, as well as the media.

4. A man that has established relationships with a wide range of coaches in the professional and college ranks. Those relationships will become the pool from which the coaching staff will be built.

5. A man that can teach. That means that he already has a prepared lesson plan for his players. This is a guy that thinks ahead. He sees faults before anyone else and he prepares for them. Bill Belichick is the best teacher in the NFL.

I'm not crazy about TD but releasing Smith and keeping TD would probably give

Blank more comfort considering he wants to sell those PSLs. If TD stays then guys

like Tice, Robiske, Armstong and probably Koetter could remain and provide

continuity with the things that work.

Also TD brought in someone to help him with his weaknesses. Smitty hasn't gotten

that sort of help with Nolan and it's the defense that has been a disaster. The pass rush is as

bad as predicted but Nolan didn't help matters with his wild schemes.

In the end Smitty's many mistakes should seal his faith.