Falcons Lack "killer Instinct"

atlantavarsity

Smitty's gone. He failed to bring cohesiveness to an undisciplined team. Yes, team focus/discipline to play as a unit would have made a huge difference. Further, "As the Bell Tolls," (Big Ben in London) will ultimately be the release valve for Smitty in blowing a 20-point fourth quarter lead. , , , Final analysis: Smitty and not Matty (as in "Ice"), lacks the "killer instinct" to put away his opponents in the second half. When you have the lead in the second half, no amount of points is ever enough to quit pushing the ball down the field. Do you ever see the Patriots sitting on a lead in the second half? Never! That's why they are perennial Super Bowl contenders. Turn loose Matty Ice in the Ice and his core of receivers in the fourth quarter!

Edited by atlantavarsity

Teams often adopt the personality of their leaders. And in Smith's case, it is like my father used to describe his time in the Air Force...."hurry up and wait."

How many times have we come out of the blocks--often the very first drive--look invincible, build good leads, and then it's like Smith throws an anchor on the offense.

Some want to keep Koetter or Nolan. I say let's clean house. Regarding the defense, last in the league and among the very worst the entire 7 years regime speaks for itself. Regarding the offense, this team is always at it's best the first couple of drives of a game, which are scripted so not much coaching there, or desperation time. The other times the play calling (like about 20 WR bubble screens in a game) is often odd, bizarre and unimaginable...and that's on Koetter!

What you guys perceive as lack killer instinct, sitting on lead, play not to lose, or whatever cliche you want to use is in reality lack of talents and failure of execution. How many times have you seen the offense failed to convert a 3rd down to stay on the field or the defense failed to get off the field on 3rd down? The final offense and defensive series of the Steelers game is a prime example of that. On the final drive the Falcons had a 3rd and 6 and they gained 4 yards, failed to stay on the field. Back on defense Steelers had 3rd and 4 and Falcons got called for illegal contact, failed to get off the field. Tell me, did they lack killer instinct, sitting on the lead, or play not to lose there? Of course not, they just failed to do what they must to win the game. You can blame Smith all you want to, but at the end of the day you have to look at the talents or lack there of on the team as for the reason why they haven't been winning games let alone winning convincingly.

What you guys perceive as lack killer instinct, sitting on lead, play not to lose, or whatever cliche you want to use is in reality lack of talents and failure of execution. How many times have you seen the offense failed to convert a 3rd down to stay on the field or the defense failed to get off the field on 3rd down? The final offense and defensive series of the Steelers game is a prime example of that. On the final drive the Falcons had a 3rd and 6 and they gained 4 yards, failed to stay on the field. Back on defense Steelers had 3rd and 4 and Falcons got called for illegal contact, failed to get off the field. Tell me, did they lack killer instinct, sitting on the lead, or play not to lose there? Of course not, they just failed to do what they must to win the game. You can blame Smith all you want to, but at the end of the day you have to look at the talents or lack there of on the team as for the reason why they haven't been winning games let alone winning convincingly.

Actually I can blame the "lack of talent" on Smith as well, quite easily. He also sucks at using the talent that we have.

Actually I can blame the "lack of talent" on Smith as well, quite easily. He also sucks at using the talent that we have.

Not going to disagree with you on that as I think TD and Smith work hand in hand in acquiring the talents for this team. I just don't like to see people think this team is supposed to be putting teams away when they had the lead. They are not that good!

We lacked the killer instinct even when we had more talent. It's playing not to lose vs playing to win. It's been his Achilles heel since he's been here. Rarely have we gotten up on anyone and stepped on their throats. How many third quarters have been spent watching other teams get back in the game. I get that it's the NFL and everyone has fight in them, but compare the attitude around this team to the attitude that surrounds the Patriots. Not talent, just mindset and attitude. That's what this team is missing. Talent comes and goes, but the overall atmosphere of an organization starts at the top and flows downhill. That's part of the reason Blank has brought in Pats guys to help run this team, but the attitude hasn't permeated downwards.

We're not talented enough to roll people each week. However, it's easy to see the attitude of trying to do it isn't there, or at least, it isn't there enough.

True - and it's because of Mike Smith, who is not inspiring as a leader, in my opinion. There's nothing about Smith that resembles aggressiveness or anything remotely like it.

yea it could just be the players hyping each other up. Definitely gets them alert when someone calls em out I would think