Espn Insider: Keith Law On Pads/braves Trade - Prospect Talk

g-dawg

I'm starting to think Hale will be the guy. Even if Banuelos or Foltynewicz pitches better in ST, I doubt the Braves will want to start their service clocks.

I know the Braves like having an eldar statesman on the staff, but from what I hear about Wandy Rodriguez, he's probably done.

The think the best dark horse candidate may be Cody Martin.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Folty's already been in the majors so his service clock has already started. And quite frankly I think if the Braves I banking on being a contender in 2017 you've got to find out now if a guy like Folty is a starter or bullpen arm. We saw with Smoltz and Glavine that it normally takes a couple of years for a guy to figure it out. Very rarely do guys like Steve Avery come in and start dominating from day one.

Well Folty's already been in the majors so his service clock has already started. And quite frankly I think if the Braves I banking on being a contender in 2017 you've got to find out now if a guy like Folty is a starter or bullpen arm. We saw with Smoltz and Glavine that it normally takes a couple of years for a guy to figure it out. Very rarely do guys like Steve Avery come in and start dominating from day one.

"Started" was the wrong term. They don't need to continue it, if there's not a need for him. I think starting at AAA for Foltynewicz would be the best ticket, working on mastering his command. If all goes well, these guys will start filtering up around midseason.

I could see about 33% turnover of the 25-man roster between April 1 and August 31.

From the Jeff Sullivan chat at Fangraphs yesterday:

Comment From Richard
Who do you think plays the most games at 2B for the Braves this year? Is this a Peterson/Callaspo time share just waiting on Peraza?
Jeff Sullivan: Basically!
Jeff Sullivan: And Peterson’s always been an OBP guy, so maybe he isn’t a disaster as a stopgap.
Comment from Walt
Are the Braves holding on to Kimbrel just to save face with their fans? They sold off and have confessed to not winning for at least this year, maybe 2 yrs, why would they still keep a guy who only pitches when they are winning?
Jeff Sullivan: Midseason trade. Prices go up really high in the middle of the year for good relievers.

"Started" was the wrong term. They don't need to continue it, if there's not a need for him. I think starting at AAA for Foltynewicz would be the best ticket, working on mastering his command. If all goes well, these guys will start filtering up around midseason.

I could see about 33% tu

rnover of the 25-man roster between April 1 and August 31.

Agreed. The team we open the season and the team we field in September will be greatly different and that will be a good thing. Late last season the open games I really watched closely were the ones started by Julio Teheran and Alex Wood so I could watch their development. Pretty much the only joy we'll have this season is watching the young guys develop and trying to figure out who's a keeper and who's not.

The more I learn about Jace Peterson, the more I like about him. Good contact skills, good speed. If he can stick at 2B, that could allow Peraza to eventually move to CF. Then (warning: pie-in-the-sky thinking coming) Mallex Smith and Rio Ruiz do well, that changes the team completely. By 2018, we could have:

1. Smith, LF

2. Peraza, CF

3. J. Peterson, 2B

4. Freeman, 1B

5. Davidson (or D. Peterson), RF

6. Ruiz, 3B

7. Bethancourt, C

8. Simmons, SS

Young, high OBP, decent power, lots of speed at the top, potential plus defense everywhere except RF.

Of course, lots of things will happen between now and then.

The more I learn about Jace Peterson, the more I like about him. Good contact skills, good speed. If he can stick at 2B, that could allow Peraza to eventually move to CF. Then (warning: pie-in-the-sky thinking coming) Mallex Smith and Rio Ruiz do well, that changes the team completely. By 2018, we could have:

1. Smith, LF

2. Peraza, CF

3. J. Peterson, 2B

4. Freeman, 1B

6. Ruiz, 3B

7. Bethancourt, C

8. Simmons, SS

Young, high OBP, decent power, lots of speed at the top, potential plus defense everywhere except RF.

That's the kind of lineup I'd love to see. Good blend of skills with a bias towards contact and OBP. biggrin.png

The pitching staff also looks like it's going to be stacked for the foreseeable future. 2015 is probably going to suck unless this team overperforms in a big way but the future is as bright as it can be as far as I'm concerned.

1. Smith, LF

2. Peraza, CF

3. J. Peterson, 2B

4. Freeman, 1B

6. Ruiz, 3B

7. Bethancourt, C

8. Simmons, SS

That would be awesome. There's a ton of ifs there but its the kind of lineup I've been begging for for years.

Kiley McDaniel at Fangraphs.com has posted his top Braves prospects list, with scouting grades and video.

For the TL;DR crowd, here is his list:

1. Ozhaino Albies, SS

2. Rio Ruiz, 3B

3. Max Fried, LHP

4. Jose Peraza, 2B

5. Mike Foltynewicz, RHP

6. Lucas Sims, RHP

7. Christian Bethancourt, C

8. Ricardo Sanchez, LHP

9. Braxton Davidson, RF

10. Tyrell Jenkins, RHP

11. Manny Banuelos, LHP

12. Arodys Vizcaino, RHP

13. Mallex Smith, CF

14. Jason Hursh, RHP

15. Shae Simmons, RHP

16. Mauricio Cabrera, RHP

17. Garrett Fulenchek, RHP

18. Alec Grosser, RHP

19. Jace Peterson, 2B

20. Dian Toscano, CF

21. Wes Parsons, RHP

22. Tanner Murphy, C

23. Andrew Thurman, RHP

24. Juan Jaime, RHP

25. Brad Roney, RHP

26. Zoilo Almonte, RF

27. Daniel Castro, SS

28. Dustin Peterson, 3B

29. Johan Camargo, SS

30. Williams Perez, RHP

31. Max Povse, RHP

32. Jordan Edgerton, 3B

"Others of note": RHP Aaron Kurcz, RHP Danny Winkler, RHP Cody Martin, RHP Carlos Salazar, RHP Chad Sobotka, LHP Yean Carlos Gil, RHP Zach Quintana, SS Elmer Reyes, RF Todd Cunningham, RF Sean Godfrey, SS Ray-Patrick Didder, CF Connor Oliver, LF Victor Reyes, 2B Luke Dykstra, CF Connor Lien.

More from Law: he released his Top 100 Prospects list, and the Braves have 6 players on it.

24. Jose Peraza

47. Mike Foltynewicz

66. Ozhaino Albies

82. Tyrell Jenkins

93. Rio Ruiz

100. Max Fried

Here are the Braves related bits from today's chat session.

Brian Mangan (NYC)
I understand you have concerns about Matz's health ... but if health is such a concern, how do you justify putting Tyrell Jenkins at #82 when he's at a lower level, is worse, and has shoulder problems, when Matz, by comparison, is past getting TJ and has seeen so much success in Double-A?Jenkins v. Matz! Keeping in mind the shoulder is a much worse part to injured, and he's maxed out at like 100 IP.
Klaw (1:21 PM)
Jenkins is fully healthy, has a better breaking ball, and a way better delivery. Unless you have medical info on his shoulder that I don't, I don't see your point.
Molly (Atlanta)
Thoughts on Braxton Davidson? What are the chances he makes it on the list next year?
Klaw (1:21 PM)
Power has to show up in games, not just in BP. If so, then yes, but as a probable 1B-only guy he has to hit.

Rick (SC)
Lucas Sims must have fallen quite a bit for you. How far off was he from making your top 100 this year?
Klaw (1:27 PM)
Stuff really backed up in the first half, came back most of the way in the second half.

Rob (ATL)
How close was Christian Bethancourt to making the list again?
Klaw (1:43 PM)
Receiving took a step back for me last year. Still power-only with a weak hit/OBP tool. Like him, clearly better than Gattis on defense, but he needs to grow up and stop taking pitches off.
Kelvin (ATL)
Thoughts on Richardo Sanchez? Was he given consideration?
Klaw (1:47 PM)
Too far away. Great arm, shows 94+ with a plus CB, but can't hold it yet.

Mitchell (Blacksburg)
Peraza is a second baseman in your top 100
Klaw (1:48 PM)
He's a natural (and capable) shortstop, only moved to 2b because of Simmons.
Edited by K26dp