Another Gm/hc Combo

brown bomber

Blank has mentioned a big name coach and I really do think its Rex. But the GM name that's heating back up is Tom Gamble. From everything I've read about him he sounds like a winner. He has known Rex for over 20 years and also worked with Buddy Ryan.

Its been reported that the FO likes Ryan and with Gamble having that connection with Ryan, Blank could already have that marriage so to speak in his mind.

I want Gamble or Chris Ballard for GM.

I dont get it with Rex Ryan.

Ryan has failed with the Jets worse than Smitty has with the Falcons.

All you dipchits say blah blah blah Ryan aint gots no QB.

BFS! He Drafted Sanchez!, He Drafted Geno,, He brought in Vick.

The guy is a Side Show act, or have you all not had enough yet?

Lemme tell youse something.

The only business Ryan has in Atlanta is being a DC,,,

Gamble is a guy I really like. He has a good track record with the Eagles and 49ers.

As for HC, I'm still uncertain. I like Rex Ryan for his defense, and if he hires a good OC and doesn't try to dip his hands into the offensive side of the ball, then he would be a candidate. Adam Gase, Todd Bowles, and Matt Patricia are guys I like too.

I wouldn't say Rex failed in NY. 2 AFC Championship appearances with limited talent on offense. Rex beat Peyton and Brady in the playoffs. He can coach big games. I'm also not sure it was his call on Sanchez or Smith and by definition top 10 QBs are hard to find. I would say the biggest problem Rex has had is the QB play. Whose fault that is, is up for debate. He's ultimately responsible but his time in NY has not been s failure. Having a QB like Matt Ryan would help Rex out tremendously.

You're spewing out some "I dont like the guy" misinformed hate honestly. When you don't have a QB, you go take one. Who exactly did the Jets have throwing the ball Ryan's first year? Brett "i'm retiring" Farve? Kellen Clemens? Yeah Sanchez didn't work out, but he got a few seasons out of him, no one else better was available.

Ryan didn't want Stephen Hill in 2012, that GM got fired. How much of a say do you think Ryan had with a new GM in the house in the Geno pick? I'm fairly sure he didn't want Geno either in 2013, thats all on Idzik, new inexperienced GM, trying to erase the buttfumbler, one of the worst GM's in the NFL. Ryan was going with Sanchez as the starter in 2013 before he got hurt. He benched Geno this year but the GM forced his hand to start him again because he is trying to save his own job.

Let me tell you about another HC who went to 2 AFC Championship games, then had a few sub par seasons because he didn't have a great QB, and got fired. Then went on to get another job, and now has 2 SB rings. That coach? Tom Coughlin. What do they have in common? Players play hard for them, and their teams win big games with inferior talent. Rex would bring this Defense to a respectable level with aggressive play calling and an eye for talent on that side of the ball, which you cant deny he doesnt have, he will stand behind his players, he would have the balls to take risks and manage the game properly. He would fix the run game and I'm sure having someone like Ryan and Julio would make his job ******* easy. Yeah, lets not look at what could be based on his previous success,

But hey, the guy "drafted Geno Smith, so he must suck". Good logic. Its not the coaches job to draft, unless he is also the GM.

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

You're spewing out some "I dont like the guy" misinformed hate honestly. When you don't have a QB, you go take one. Who exactly did the Jets have throwing the ball Ryan's first year? Brett "i'm retiring" Farve? Kellen Clemens? Yeah Sanchez didn't work out, but he got a few seasons out of him, no one else better was available.

Ryan didn't want Stephen Hill in 2012, that GM got fired. How much of a say do you think Ryan had with a new GM in the house in the Geno pick? I'm fairly sure he didn't want Geno either in 2013, thats all on Idzik, new inexperienced GM, trying to erase the buttfumbler, one of the worst GM's in the NFL. Ryan was going with Sanchez as the starter in 2013 before he got hurt. He benched Geno this year but the GM forced his hand to start him again because he is trying to save his own job.

Let me tell you about another HC who went to 2 AFC Championship games, then had a few sub par seasons because he didn't have a great QB, and got fired. Then went on to get another job, and now has 2 SB rings. That coach? Tom Coughlin. What do they have in common? Players play hard for them, and their teams win big games with inferior talent. Rex would bring this Defense to a respectable level with aggressive play calling and an eye for talent on that side of the ball, which you cant deny he doesnt have, he will stand behind his players, he would have the balls to take risks and manage the game properly. He would fix the run game and I'm sure having someone like Ryan and Julio would make his job ******* easy. Yeah, lets not look at what could be based on his previous success,

But hey, the guy "drafted Geno Smith, so he must suck". Good logic.

The Geno stuff doesn't help his argument, but I would say the real reason he sucks is because he hasn't won any division titles, and hasn't had a winning season since 2010.

Guest Negatorris

Rex Ryan was the general manager? Wow.

Guest Negatorris

The Geno stuff doesn't help his argument, but I would say the real reason he sucks is because he hasn't won any division titles, and hasn't had a winning season since 2010.

The Falcons would never win the AFCE with Smith either

Ryan has better playoff success than Smith... And that was without a good QB...

print.gif ESPN.com: NFL [Print without images]espn.gif

Friday, December 12, 2014

Top NFL GM candidates

By Adam Caplan

ESPN Insider

With just three weeks left in the regular season, rumors are in overdrive in league circles in regard to possible new head coaches and new general managers. That isn't the most pleasant thing for those on the hot seat to hear, but there's no way around it; there will be change, it's just a matter of how many teams decide to make changes within their personnel departments.

Earlier this season I looked at the most likely candidates to emerge for head-coaching positions. Here is my list of candidates to be in the mix for general manager jobs, broken down by the ones most likely to get jobs and others likely to get strong consideration in the future.

Tier 1

1. Tom Gamble, vice president of player personnel, Philadelphia Eagles The son of former Eagles president Harry Gamble, Tom started his NFL career with the Eagles in 1998. And like his late father, he is a rarity in NFL scouting departments these days: He not only has extensive pro and college scouting experience, but he has experience with contract negations and the salary cap, and he even has coaching experience in his résumé (defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets for two seasons: 1995-1996). Over the years, several teams have shown interest in him for general manager jobs (most recently last year -- Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers).

And it's worth noting that Gamble has worked closely with some of the best evaluators in the NFL such as Bill Polian (with Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts) and Trent Baalke (with San Francisco 49ers). And most recently, Gamble has had a hand in the turnarounds with the 49ers and Eagles, where he has worked closely with head coach Chip Kelly.

2. Chris Ballard, Director of player personnel, Kansas City Chiefs

The veteran personnel executive worked for the Chicago Bears for 12 years, mostly as a college scout. In his final year with the Bears, he was promoted to director of pro scouting. And now in his second season with the Chiefs, the highly respected executive evaluates pro and college players. His name has come up over the last few years as a guy likely to get a shot to become a general manager.

3. Nick Caserio, director of player personnel, New England Patriots

Now in his 14th season with the team, Caserio was promoted to his current role in 2008. He works closely with head coach Bill Belichick, and oversees the pro and college scouting departments. Caserio, who coached with the receivers in 2007, has received interest from multiple teams for GM openings over the years.

4. JoJo Wooden, director of player personnel, San Diego Chargers

The younger brother of former NFL LB Terry Wooden, JoJo joined the Chargers in 2013 after spending 16 seasons with the New York Jets. Known in league circles as a very solid evaluator, Wooden mostly has pro scouting experience, but he has been involved in college and pro scouting evaluations over the last two seasons.

5. George Paton, assistant general manager, Minnesota Vikings

Paton has received strong interest from multiple teams in recent years, but he has chosen to stay with the Vikings. Promoted to his current role a few years ago after the St. Louis Rams showed interest in him for their then-vacant GM job, Paton has extensive scouting experience on the pro side, while adding more experience on the college side in recent years.

6. Jon Robinson, director of player personnel, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Known in league circles for his attention to detail and strong evaluations, Robinson was part of the New England Patriots' scouting staff, which did an excellent job of evaluating first-round picks (Chandler Jones, Nate Solder, Devin McCourty and Jerod Mayo) over several years. And Robinson was involved with the selection of TE Rob Gronkowski (second round, 2010). The well-respected executive joined the Buccaneers earlier this year (May) after working his way up the ladder with the Patriots for 12 years.

Tier 2

7. Ryan Pace, director of player personnel, New Orleans Saints

Now in the midst of his second season after his latest promotion (and now in his 13th season with the team), Pace works closely with executive vice president and general manager Mickey Loomis to oversee the pro and college scouting departments. Some NFL executives believe his experience in his last two seasons should make him ready to take the next step in his career.

8. Trent Kirchner, director of pro personnel, Seattle Seahawks

The former college quarterback got his start with Seahawks executive vice president/general manager John Schneider with the Washington Redskins in 2001, and he has worked closely with Schneider since he was added to the Seahawks' personnel staff in 2010. Promoted to his current role in 2013, Kirchner is known for his ability to evaluate players and manage people. He has one of the most truly remarkable stories of any NFL executive whom I can recall.

9. Brian Gaine, director of pro personnel, Houston Texans

The veteran of 17 seasons with four teams, Gaine came over to the Texans after last season concluded. What should help him gain notice for general manager openings is his work with former NFL head coach and executive Bill Parcells during his stops with the New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins. Gaine, who previously was the Dolphins' assistant general manager, interviewed for the GM job that wound up going to Dennis Hickey. Gaine also interviewed for the Rams' GM job in recent years that eventually went to Les Snead.

10. Brian Gutekunst, director of college scouting, Green Bay Packers

Now in his 16th year with the Packers, he was promoted to his current role with the team after the 2012 NFL draft. While he mostly has experience scouting college players, the hard-working executive was highly recommended by multiple NFL executives as being ready for the next step in his career.

11. Bob Quinn, director of pro scouting, New England Patriots

Now finishing his 14th season with the Patriots, Quinn was promoted to his current role in 2012. While most of his scouting experience has been on the pro side, Quinn has been involved with college scouting as a crosschecker. And it certainly is worth noting that he has worked closely with director of player personnel Nick Caserio and head coach Bill Belichick for many years.

12. Alonzo Highsmith, senior personnel executive, Green Bay Packers

A former NFL running back, Highsmith is known in league circles for his solid evaluation skills. And other teams were well aware of what he brings to the table, which explains why the Packers blocked him from interviewing with other teams over the years. And that's also why he was promoted to his current role two years ago. He began his scouting role with the Packers in 1999.

Future GM Candidates

These are some lesser-known or younger NFL executives who should get a shot to move up the ladder in future years:

1. Eliot Wolf, director of pro personnel, Green Bay Packers

The son of former NFL general manager Ron Wolf, Eliot has the unique experience of having extensive college and pro scouting experience at such a young age (32). Not only does he have the rare distinction of his father being a former NFL general manager, Eliot has been scouting players since he was 14 years old. He was promoted to his current position, one of the highest in the personnel department of the Packers, after the 2012 NFL draft.

2. Anthony "Champ" Kelly, assistant director of pro personnel, Denver Broncos

He was promoted to his latest position in 2010. While most of his recent scouting experience is from the pro level, Kelly started his career scouting college players in 2007. And it's believed he was asked to take on more responsibility when director of pro personnel Tom Heckert and director of player personnel Matt Russell were away during their short suspensions during the 2013 season.

3. Dwayne Joseph, associate director of pro personnel, Chicago Bears

The former NFL cornerback has spent several years in scouting mostly evaluating NFL players. Known for his keen evaluation skills and attention to detail, Joseph was promoted by Bears general manager Phil Emery to his current position in 2013.

4. Ed Marynowitz, assistant director of player personnel, Philadelphia Eagles

While just 30 years old, Marynowitz has worked with Alabama head coach Nick Saban (as director of player personnel), Bill Parcells (as a scouting assistant with the Miami Dolphins), and most recently Eagles head coach Chip Kelly during his scouting career. You won't find a young executive whom people talk more highly of than Marynowitz. And those who have worked with him say his evaluation and organizational skills are what really stand out about him. He'll be a general manager someday -- it's just a matter of when, not if.

Notes

Key salary-cap date on the horizon: By 4 p.m. ET on Dec. 27, all teams must provide the NFL's Management Council with written notice indicating the amount, if any, of the team's 2014 league year salary-cap room to be credited to the team's 2015 cap. That allowance was agreed upon by the NFL and players in the most recent CBA signed in 2011. That's why so few teams complete extensions in season. Rather, many teams wait until closer to the start of free agency in March to extend contracts.

In the previous CBA, there was no carry-over of cap space from one season to the next, which is why more deals got done in season in the previous agreement. There was the "use it or lose it" theory of negotiation before the 2011 CBA.

Extending contracts of third-year players: And two days after that salary cap date, Dec. 29, teams can begin to renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a drafted player who was selected in any round of the 2012 NFL draft.

Also of note, teams can start rolling over the fifth-year option on first-round picks from the 2012 draft on this date. They have until May 3 to do so.

The fact that sooooo many poster want Rex Ryan as the next HC only proves how much of a clown show this fan base has become. I doubt any knowledible football fan wants Rex anywhere near the team they root for as a HC. The truth is regardless who is HC next year, if we clean house it'll be 3-4 years before we are a winning franchise again. No HC can turn this team around by next season. If Smitty is fired next season will be worst then the last two.

The fact that sooooo many poster want Rex Ryan as the next HC only proves how much of a clown show this fan base has become. I doubt any knowledible football fan wants Rex anywhere near the team they root for as a HC. The truth is regardless who is HC next year, if we clean house it'll be 3-4 years before we are a winning franchise again. No HC can turn this team around by next season. If Smitty is fired next season will be worst then the last two.

Mike Smith did..... But sure... It's impossible.

It doesn't matter who we get for the GM. What matters is the HC. You can have a good GM get hamstrung by a HC who doesn't have an eye for talent or a staff that is capable of developing draft picks. At the end of the day, the HC has to make the roster produce, so he has final say on the players. If he doesn't, then you have a Ryan/Idzik situation. Just look at the Seahawks and Russell Wilson. Schneider had to convince Carroll on Wilson. If Carroll said no, Wilson wasn't going to be a Seahawk. Schneider wouldn't be getting all of this praise for "finding" Russell. But luckily he has one of the best HCs who can spot talent from a mile away. Carroll is the one who wanted Sherman because he recruited him back at USC and remembered how much he liked him then.

That's what is most important. All of the good GMs have good coaches. Pioli and TD came from NE, with the best HC, arguably, ever. They've been a mixed bag since leaving because they didn't have a HC of the caliber of Belichick. I'm not vouching for or against TD. I'm just saying we could have Ozzie here and we would only be average. I mean Ozzie started his career as GM, officially I know in 1996 but we're starting in 2002 when it became official, with Mike Smith 1.0 and didn't win a SB until he got Harbaugh. From 2002 to 2007, they went 7-9, 10-6, 9-7, 6-10, 13-3, and 5-11. Two good seasons, mediocre the others. Why? Poor coaching. Since Harbaugh, no losing seasons. 8-8 was the worst last year.

It's coaching guys. Same GM, different results, different coaches. Prime example is Mike Tice. We need a coach who can spot talent and has different schemes he wants ran and knows the guys who can run those schemes and develop the players who fit those schemes. Period. Find that and G-Dawg could be a good GM for us.

Mike Smith did..... But sure... It's impossible.

All we were really missing at the time was a QB. The next coach isn't gonna have the money or draft picks to rebuild this team in 1 off season. The players will also have to adjust to change of scheme, language and culture. I truly believe the next 2-3 season will be more painful then these previous 2.

Yes I agreed he's a loser his all time record shows that. Why are people talking about him?