This Is Your Last Chance Mike Smith

WiscoFalcon

I think most on this BOARD want to speak for Mr. Blank BUT I don't believe we can. What AB should do and will do may be two different things. I understand the emotion and we are probably right BUT don't be surprised if MS is the Coach of the Falcons next year!

So if that is the case I ask myself could I accept it. I can but MS has shown the unwillingness to change and regardless how the next 2 games turn out if he and TD are retained they have to make some BIG changes in mindset. Some of MS and TD's biggest faults =favoring veterans, not developing or giving young guys chances, faulty defenses, settling for mediocrity, Scouting and drafting, stubborn etc. etc. etc. have been well documented all over the country. So the big question to me IF TD and MS stay can they change and improve on their faults?

You have far more forgiveness than me. After witnessing the train wreck this year has been and this Mass thing has really been the Cherry on the top I want total regime change no matter what.

I believe that is the same opinion of Blank with an exception in Blanks mind that a Super Bowl would buy Smith another year. In my mind a Super Bowl doesn't even do that although that's not something we will have to worry about...

Edited by Pringle

Seriously what is this last chance crapoloa I keep reading on here?

Is there anyone still in such a state of denial they cannot see that regardless of this season's outcome Smith is gone?

Winning this putrid division does not alter the bad bad coaching we have seen this year or the pattern of this team blowing leads, having no pass rush and not winning games with superior coaching.

Seriously what is this last chance crapoloa I keep reading on here?

Is there anyone still in such a state of denial they cannot see that regardless of this season's outcome Smith is gone?

Winning this putrid division does not alter the bad bad coaching we have seen this year or the pattern of this team blowing leads, having no pass rush and not winning games with superior coaching.

I think most of us have a pretty good feel for the situation and understand what's likely to happen. Smith will almost certainly be gone after the 2014 season. But he still technically has a chance, and you can't expect fans not to follow that. If we beat the Saints, Smith is hanging on by a thread. If we lose to Carolina afterwards and miss the playoffs, he's gone. If we sweep Carolina & New Orleans and make the playoffs, Smith is still hanging on. If Smith wins a playoff game, it's 50/50 whether he's brought back. If Smith wins TWO playoff games, then there's a GOOD chance Smith stays in Atlanta especially if the team puts up a good fight in a purely hypothetical NFFCG appearance. Yeah, we get it. Realistically Smith doesn't come back,. But while he's still technically hanging on by a thread and while he's still technically got a shot to make the playoffs and impress Blank with a deep playoff run, Smith still has a chance. So I don't think it's truly accurate to say that Smith is gone regardless of outcome. I know I might be coming off as a smart @ss and that it's not very likely we go deep in the playoffs but still thought it needed to be said.

Remember Smitty is on a 1 year contract now. He won't be technically fired, just released. Besides Smitty is statistically the best coach Atlanta has ever had, believe it or not. Not even Reeves has a winning record with the team. Before fans want instant SB with another coach, remember that Smitty brought consistency and some type of repour. Don't rush to get other's best coach before you fix the apparent problem, AJ Neibel. Since AJ was promoted, Atlanta's defense regressed because of lack of toughness in training. I'd rather change the Strength and conditioning coach then give 1 more chance..

Edited by BladeGT

What if there are no good coaches out there. Say Harbaugh goes to college, Bowles, Quinn, Gruden and Cowher say no thanks. Then who do we get? Mark Trestman? Greg Schiano? Raheem Morris? Careful what you pray for, you just might get it.

You're going way out over the edge with this garbage list. But hey, even if we don't come up with a SB HC, Smith has gotta GTFOH. He had his chance and he blew the shlt out of it.

I bet AB has already been privately consulting with various football minds as to the merits of keeping or firing Mike Smith.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure of that ---- after all, being a businessman himself for so many years, and having to make the "hard" decisions that affect so many lives, he's probably already done his "homework", and will make the best decision he can. After all, when it come to this kind of stuff, this isn't his first rodeo!

But I have to admit, I have mixed feelings, myself! I appreciate what Smitty has done here, and will always thank him for being a part of bringing this team back from the dead, and giving us a thrilling 5 years (2008-12).

And while I'm no "football mind", by any means, I just feel like we need to make the change, and get a new perspective on where we're at as an organization. It actually troubles me to even write this, but in the long run, I think a coaching change would be best for this team ---

Kind of reminds me of the weekly "must win" thread.

"Oh no, it's for real this time! This is a must win game! Those other games that were must win games didn't matter! This one is for real though!" lol

No doubt about it --- this is the elimination game, to end all elimination games!!!

If we lose, Blank will have to fire Smitty, just to save face with his fellow owners.

But who knows how long this thing drags on --- I guess we'll know more, come "Elimination Sunday" ---

Edited by FalconJim

I think most of us have a pretty good feel for the situation and understand what's likely to happen. Smith will almost certainly be gone after the 2014 season. But he still technically has a chance, and you can't expect fans not to follow that. If we beat the Saints, Smith is hanging on by a thread. If we lose to Carolina afterwards and miss the playoffs, he's gone. If we sweep Carolina & New Orleans and make the playoffs, Smith is still hanging on. If Smith wins a playoff game, it's 50/50 whether he's brought back. If Smith wins TWO playoff games, then there's a GOOD chance Smith stays in Atlanta especially if the team puts up a good fight in a purely hypothetical NFFCG appearance. Yeah, we get it. Realistically Smith doesn't come back,. But while he's still technically hanging on by a thread and while he's still technically got a shot to make the playoffs and impress Blank with a deep playoff run, Smith still has a chance. So I don't think it's truly accurate to say that Smith is gone regardless of outcome. I know I might be coming off as a smart @ss and that it's not very likely we go deep in the playoffs but still thought it needed to be said.

+ 1