Teryl Austin - 2015 Hc Canidate

freebird310

I posted this in another thread and I wanted to generate some talk about him as a possible HC canidate for us. The more I read about this guy and the praise he generates from everyone who knows him I am more interested in him as a possible coach for us.

This is who I want, I posted a thread about him awhile back but nobody cared LOL ...Lions DC Teryl Austin , he is young, (49) hungry, highly creative and one hellluva football coach. Former DC at FLA under Meyer. He has a SB ring as a coach. Acclaimed by his players.This is the kind of up and coming assistant you take a chance on .....

http://www.freep.com...ustin/20497299/

teryl-austin-nfl-preseason-detroit-lions

Teryl Austin has done wonders with the Detroit Lions defense this season, and the first-year coordinator should be a top candidate to land a head-coaching job this winter.

Austin, 49, is one of the top three minority candidates the Fritz Pollard Alliance Foundation will submit to NFL teams with coaching vacancies this off-season, chairman John Wooten said Tuesday.

"We'd be very disappointed if he doesn't (get an interview)," Wooten told the Free Press. "That's something that we look very hard at, who's getting the interviews."

The Lions lead the NFL in points against (17 ppg) and have the best run defense by any team since the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers (63.8 ypg), and players have credited Austin's inclusive coaching style and creative blitz packages for part of their success.

Austin is in his first year as an NFL coordinator, so some teams may take a prove-it-again approach with him.

But he coached in Super Bowls as a defensive backs coach with the Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals and Baltimore Ravens, where he won a championship, and he spent one year on Urban Meyer's staff as defensive coordinator at Florida.

"I think he's (a) huge (part of our success)," safety Glover Quin said in October. "He calls great games. Very smart guy. We go into the games knowing exactly what they want from us, exactly what they expect from us, but they also do a great job in my opinion of letting the players play, and I think they do a great job of, as we call it, loading up our toolbox. Giving us a bunch of options for different things (that happen on the field)."

Wooten said he will be in New York on Wednesday to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and discuss the Fritz Pollard Alliance's list of top minority coaching candidates, among other matters, with the league.

Nine candidates are on the list in all including Austin, defensive coordinators Todd Bowles (Arizona Cardinals), Perry Fewell (New York Giants), Leslie Frazier (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and Ray Horton (Tennessee Titans); offensive coordinators Pep Hamilton (Indianapolis Colts) and Hue Jackson (Cincinnati Bengals), assistant head coach Winston Moss (Green Bay Packers) and former San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary.

Wooten would not say who else besides Austin is in the top three.

"We as an organization will sit down with the commissioner and his group and ... submit our list to them and they give us their input as to what they see and what they hear and so forth," Wooten said. "And from there, each and every team that has openings, this list is given to them so that they can never say what Matt Millen said a few years ago that he couldn't find anybody."

Millen was fined $200,000 by the NFL in 2003 for failing to interview a minority candidate when he hired Steve Mariucci as Lions coach.

The Lions said at the time five candidates turned down interviews because it was apparent Mariucci was getting the job.

Austin has declined to talk about his future as a head coach this fall, saying his focus is on the Lions defense.

"We do what we always do and we look at the body of work for the whole year as to how the team is performing under him, under his direction and what they're doing overall as a team because that is one of the things that we know that the owners look at when they're doing the hiring," Wooten said. "As you follow this thing through the years, I'm sure you've seen as I have that the top coordinators is the pipeline for getting to be a head coach."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate urban, but if you coach with him you've gotta have some balls.

Sign me up. Seems like a good option

Just trying to get some different names out there as possibles, all we hear at TATF is Bowles Quinn and Harbaugh LOL ...more I read about this guy he sounds like a guy that is good enough , energetic enough and hungry enough to turn around our D ....just the right age, not a pup but not a worn out dinosaur either....

Here is another article on him ......

http://detroitjockcity.com/2014/12/17/could-defensive-coordinator-teryl-austin-be-one-and-done-with-the-detroit-lions/

There is no doubt about it, Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin deserves much of the credit for the team’s success this season. Currently, the Lions lead the NFL in points against, (17 PPG) and have the best rush defense in the league, (63.8 YPG). In fact, they have the best rush defense the NFL has seen since the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I think he’s (a) huge (part of our success),” safety Glover Quin said in October. “He calls great games. Very smart guy. We go into the games knowing exactly what they want from us, exactly what they expect from us, but they also do a great job in my opinion of letting the players play, and I think they do a great job of, as we call it, loading up our toolbox. Giving us a bunch of options for different things (that happen on the field).”

Austin, 49, has some of the most creative and dynamic blitz packages that the league has ever seen. He has also coached in Super Bowls as a defensive backs coach with the Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals and Baltimore Ravens, where he won a championship, and he spent one year on Urban Meyer’s staff as defensive coordinator at Florida. 2014 is however his first-year as a coordinator at the NFL level as well as his first-year with the Lions.

Could Austin be one and done in Detroit though?

The success of the Lions and their stingy defense has drawn the attention of many other teams around the league. There is expected to be as many as nine head coaching vacancies following the season, and according to Fritz Pollard Alliance Foundation chairman John Wooten, Austin is one of the top three minority candidates.

Sounds like an interesting Candidate,one I hope atleast gets an Interview. If we go with a Defensive minded coach tho,I feel we will look for one who implements more 3-4 looks based on what we already have on our defense,I don't think we can just cut Soliai and Tyson Jackson.

He runs a base 4-3 but highly multiple like just about everyone now a days .....he is supposed to be very creative and flexible, able to use his players to their strengths....