Umenyiora To Massaquoi: Don't Voice Displeasure Publicly

atljbo

Umenyiora to Massaquoi: Don't voice displeasure publicly

Atlanta Falcons veteran Osi Umenyiora can relate to teammate Jonathan Massaquoi's frustration over playing time.

Umenyiora, 33, entered the 2014 season knowing his role would be diminished in a new defensive alignment. With the reality that his best days are behind him, Umenyiora simply adjusted to being just a designated pass-rusher.

But the Falcons had bigger plans for Massaquoi, 26, and expected him to have a breakout season rushing the passer. Such hasn't been the case, in part, due to a foot injury. But Massaquoi believes he deserved more opportunities from the start. Now, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan wants Massaquoi to go prove himself in practice.

"Well, he just has to believe the coaches have a plan," Umenyiora said of Massaquoi. "That's what I've had to do. A lot of people's livelihood with be on the line these next two games, and I would think that the best players -- whoever the coaches think they are -- will play."

Massaquoi, who has two sacks and six quarterback hits, lobbied for more playing time twice this season. After he played just seven snaps at Green Bay, he insisted he could be a game-changer by playing 40-plus snaps and getting into a rhythm.

"He is very talented; there is no doubt about that," Umenyiora said. "But in my experience, talking about it publicly will do him no good. The coach will do whatever they want to do at the end of the day."

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/10845/umenyiora-to-massaquoi-dont-voice-displeasure-publicly

Listening to Osi... Mass doesnt sound like a locker room cancer,... Just sound like a young guy who wants to play

shrugs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking Osi probably didn't even need to say that to Mass right about now. Dude knows already. He learned his lesson the hard way. Hopefully, Mass will release any pent up frustrations over this against the Aints on Sunday.

Not to mention Osi was a public malcontent his entire tenure in NY. If he would acknowledge that while giving Mass this advice, that's fine, but to act like he's never spoken up when he shouldn't have is hypocritical.

His remark is also VERY telling: "The coach will do whatever they want to do at the end of the day."

Osi is acknowledging they just do whatever the **** they want.

I'm thinking Osi probably didn't even need to say that to Mass right about now. Dude knows already. He learned his lesson the hard way. Hopefully, Mass will release any pent up frustrations over this against the Aints on Sunday.

You are incorrectly assuming he gets play. or play significantly.

Tea Leaves say that won't be the case.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/10845/umenyiora-to-massaquoi-dont-voice-displeasure-publicly

Listening to Osi... Mass doesnt sound like a locker room cancer,... Just sound like a young guy who wants to play

shrugs

At this point I don't think there's much of a chance Mass will play.

Because if he does and plays well it's the Antoine Smith situation all over again.

I've started to think the coaching staff was probably happy when Smith got hurt. Think about it. There's constant questions about why he isn't playing more. So they put him in a play a game to show why and he scores a TD. Questions increase so they put him another play the next game and TD. At this point they look incredibly stupid for not knowing he could do this and playing him earlier. Now they're stuck because they'll look even worse for not playing him. He gets hurt. No more questions.

So let's take Mass. If he plays and plays well then the coaching staff will look like complete idiots for not playing him earlier in a season where a pass rushing threat would have made a HUGE difference. Mass playing well would probably guarantee their being fired and might help TD save.

Yeah, probably not seeing Mass play another snap this season.

The whole situation is frustrating. On one hand, you want a guy who respects the team and the coaches. On the other hand, the Falcon's need someone with this type of attitude and they need to STOP trying to destroy it.

I lost my respect for the coaches, as football coaches, awhile back. With very good reason.

There were other, better ways for Coaches to handle Mass speaking to media about snap count/playing time/etc. Instead they act like little beetchy Valley Girls! emot-barf.gif

Funny.

I think Osi is equally frustrated with this incompetent coaching staff. There have been times where he's clearly wanted to say more but has tried to take the high road. Say what you want about his NY days but as years go on people change.

Bottom line is Smitty and Nolan don't know what they're doing and don't like being taken to task when things aren't working well. I'll be glad when they're gone.