Interesting Article

mojo7877

Not a bad article by McCursik. At least he doesn't come on this board and try to ridicule posters into agreeing he's a good writer anymore.

In my opinion our biggest mistake was trying to emulate the Pack after the 2010 beat down with that explosive bush it.

We should have stayed the smash mouth course and used the Julio picks to fortify the Oline and front seven.

I mean how many games have we lost after Julio shined like an ornament and blew the doors off the defense? Too many to list here.

This is the most spot on article written about this team all year. The biggest issue with the team is 100% coaching he did not have a defensive scheme like I said this defense is confused as h*ll we don't know if we are 4-3,3-4, Big Nickel the defense is confused we got Babs playing right end when his natural position is DT we moved Osi and Kroy to LB when most of their careers they were DE's we draft a whole bunch of personnel on defense last year and the previous year but have yet to utilize anybody not named Alford or Trufant. We got a running back that can't even pass the line of scrimmage when he gets a handoff but continue to bench running backs who gain 5-6 yards per carry and force SJAX to try to get yards. This team needs to go back to becoming a power running team because most of the money has been invested on offense which means the offense needs to be on the field a lot longer to keep the defense fresh and power running should be able to do that and I'm not talking about run with SJAX. Another thing is that yes Mike Smith is scared to try anything new or innovative which is why he will be fired. Like I said before I thank coach smith for even taking the job with the Falcons but like the article said Matt Ryan bailed him out a lot of times without Matt Ryan we wouldn't have back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in franchise history and consecutive playoff appearances and yet we still have people on here saying he is not top 10 or elite. This article pretty much states the obvious Matt Ryan's knowledge of the game has carried this team and his coach for most of Smiths tenure. If anything Koetter and Mularkey should get credit for developing his knowledge of the game because Smith is just well Smith there to call timeouts if needed. The one other thing that I have to point out that completely has me stumped is how was Smith and Nolan around players like Ray Lewis and that beastly Ravens defense and come here and not even develop a pass-rusher or a decent defense?

Edited by Cali_Falcon_1184

Not a bad article by McCursik. At least he doesn't come on this board and try to ridicule posters into agreeing he's a good writer anymore.

In my opinion our biggest mistake was trying to emulate the Pack after the 2010 beat down with that explosive bush it.

We should have stayed the smash mouth course and used the Julio picks to fortify the Oline and front seven.

I mean how many games have we lost after Julio shined like an ornament and blew the doors off the defense? Too many to list here.

He is actually a very good writer, they should give him Bedwetters job....it is his personality that leaves a lot to be desired. Not the type of dude I would want to have a shot and a beer with ......

He is actually a very good writer, they should give him Bedwetters job....it is his personality that leaves a lot to be desired. Not the type of dude I would want to have a shot and a beer with ......

Believe it or not the Falcons still like DLed. They still grant him the access they didn't give Wyche, Pasta Belly, Grizzard, Furman, Terrence or Winkie. There's no doubt in my mind they'd kick McKursik off the property after his first beat article.

But inability to self-evaluate, not playing the best 11 players on the field on every play and lack of scheme modification to put players in the spots where they win has truly hurt the Falcons during Smith's tenure. Additionally, a lack of identity has only hindered the Falcons when it comes to bringing in the right talent for Smith.

That's the best Ive heard it described.

Spot on

Good read. The part about the game winning drives reads a little funny though. To me, if you take away 17 comeback wins from the win column, they should be added to the loss column.

Also, going conservative after being ahead limits player stat production, especially in the passing game. Probably the #1 reason why Ryan hasn't broken 40 TDs yet.

From the article:

"The Falcons should have been starting Massaquoi at weak-side defensive end from weak one."

Um, I'm going to be charitable and call this Scar's version of being clever tongue.png

Good article, poor editing notwithstanding. I find little to disagree with.