Our Pass Rush Might Not Be As Bad As Advertised

Miller2Rison

we like to get old washed up players and keep them on the field like Osi and Bierman out there looking lost every Sunday. We have young hungry guys that have shown the potential in preseason to beast like Massequa, Why Mass never gets in the game i have not a clue. Our team is really managed poorly, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I gurantee u as long as Mass stays healthy he will go to another team and be a pro bowler. I think having one of the worst defenses in the league from 2008-present is reason enough to clean house.

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

we like to get old washed up players and keep them on the field like Osi and Bierman out there looking lost every Sunday. We have young hungry guys that have shown the potential in preseason to beast like Massequa, Why Mass never gets in the game i have not a clue. Our team is really managed poorly, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I gurantee u as long as Mass stays healthy he will go to another team and be a pro bowler. I think having one of the worst defenses in the league from 2008-present is reason enough to clean house.

What are you talking about? Biermann, I agree, but Osi rarely sees the field. And when he does, he provides more pressure than any of our d-line does combined for a quarter worth of play.

Nope. Biermann and Babs starting @ DE make it seem as such tho.

lol if you say so. They have done nothing to prove otherwise so I'll stick with what is seen on TV every week. Not theories from fans. I know guys are being played out of position and that's the coaches fault. They aren't generating any type of true pass rush in reality and that's all that matters

I just don't get why we moved our best DT to DE. Babs still gets through the line occasionally but is a 3T through and through. I really want to see us just simplify the scheme all the way down to a 4-3 Cover 2 base and see what we have. Maponga/Soliai/Babs/Mass with Kroy/Worrilow/Bartu at LBs. I bet it would be a lot better than this current hodgepodge of shlt.

You mean playing guys under 30 that I haven't known before? Can't draft high ceiling players and not give them playing time.

Aye. Despite Hageman being deemed a project by some, he was the BPA when we drafted in the 2nd and he's shown some great flashes. Size and strength can beat out hard work in some cases. But I don't think he's as lazy as Hard Knocks made out, that was a storyline for TV, like hiring Bryan Cox was

Aye. Despite Hageman being deemed a project by some, he was the BPA when we drafted in the 2nd and he's shown some great flashes. Size and strength can beat out hard work in some cases. But I don't think he's as lazy as Hard Knocks made out, that was a storyline for TV, like hiring Bryan Cox was

He's not lazy. HK created that. The NFL is tough. He needs a tough coach to ride him but also reward him. The most important part is to play him where he wins while he develops. We have the hardest time with that. Put him at the 3T and let him shoot gaps or manhandle OGs 1v1. We want players to play within the scheme too much

I just don't get why we moved our best DT to DE. Babs still gets through the line occasionally but is a 3T through and through. I really want to see us just simplify the scheme all the way down to a 4-3 Cover 2 base and see what we have. Maponga/Soliai/Babs/Mass with Kroy/Worrilow/Bartu at LBs. I bet it would be a lot better than this current hodgepodge of shlt.

Never understood the logic behind this, either. Also, any defense where Kroy is being asked to man cover someone needs to be seriously looked at. Watching him chase a crossing route makes my brain go numb.

Exactly. I'm not a Babs fan because he only "almost" makes plays, but I'd rather that on the interior than the edge.

Yeah, Babs was good for a couple of times a game blowing by his guy and making a play, almost making it, disrupting it, whatever. We know he didn't always finish the play, but at least he did something. This yr, we have gotten none of that. Like others stated, the duo of Kroy and Babs rushing the passer is garbage.

This all goes back to the offseason when this defense was assembled. Bunch of defensive tackles, some 3-4 guys, some 4-3 guys playing out of position, multiple positions, combined with inexperienced marginally talented LBs and this is what you get. I think the worse the defense yardage wise in the league and near the bottom in points.

It's baffling that this staff won't simplify the scheme and put players back into the slots where they were able to produce results. This staff is too stubborn to change no matter how bad things get.

Jackson should be the LE...

Never understood the logic behind this, either. Also, any defense where Kroy is being asked to man cover someone needs to be seriously looked at. Watching him chase a crossing route makes my brain go numb.

I'll never ever understand that either when it comes to Kroy. The coaching staff has to be SEVERELY overestimating his athleticism

I'll never ever understand that either when it comes to Kroy. The coaching staff has to be SEVERELY overestimating his athleticism

I know, bruh. In the first 10 games, Kroy had maybe 3 or 4 positive impact plays and stunk it up on all his other snaps. He's played slightly better lately, but still sub-par by even the most minimal standards. No logical reason he is a sacred cow that I can see, but he clearly is a sacred cow.

Yeah, Babs was good for a couple of times a game blowing by his guy and making a play, almost making it, disrupting it, whatever. We know he didn't always finish the play, but at least he did something. This yr, we have gotten none of that. Like others stated, the duo of Kroy and Babs rushing the passer is garbage.

This all goes back to the offseason when this defense was assembled. Bunch of defensive tackles, some 3-4 guys, some 4-3 guys playing out of position, multiple positions, combined with inexperienced marginally talented LBs and this is what you get. I think the worse the defense yardage wise in the league and near the bottom in points.

These idiots spent all summer trying to be coy with the whole "we have no base" crap and ended up with no scheme. Literally began the offseason with plans to move to a 3-4. Changed coaches. Signed players who only thrived in a 3-4. Preseason, don't run the 3-4. Regular season, don't run a 3-4. Wonder why the defense has gotten worse?

Jackson should be the LE...

Not at all. No pass rush. If I'm the offense, it's the same situation we trot out now. I'm laughing and daring Jackson to get pressure while I double the lone pass rusher.