Qb Evaluation

SaintsFanInLA

So, what should be used to evaluate or grade an NFL QB? It seems like the target is a moving one depending on whatever it takes to promote a poster's self-interests or diminish that of another's. It is my personal opinion that Brees is one of the best QBs of all time but I am basing that on several quantifiable items and stats. Aside from that, I am asking the RC posters here to list the things that should be used in eval'n a QB.

For instance, EVERY ONE here acknowledges that Julio Jones is a BEAST. He has ALL of the measurements. ALL of them. The only issue that I can think of is that he's been injured. But when healthy, he is in the convo with Megatron and Dez, EASILY. So, what measurables does a QB need to be considered one of the best? Yards, YPA, Completion %, TDs, TD to INT ratio, Sacks, Red Zone Efficiency, Rushing Yards, Rushing TDs...

Edited by Nelson Muntz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I too tried to take a stab but there's just to many different factors.

Yes, there are but there SHOULD be some standard by which we can all come to an understanding. It just seems like the target keeps getting moved.

I think accuracy, yards, TDs should be the starting point. Red zone accuracy is good but I don't know if it should carry a lot of weight, it is important but not as important as people think. I mean, if your QB throws and INT from the 15 yard line in one game but then throws an INT from his 27, is the one from the 15 somehow MORE egregious? But also, TD to INT ratio should matter as well. Or maybe more accuraely, Passes to INT ratio. It measures to a degree how often he makes "bad" decisions.

Anyway, arm strength is nice but what good is it without accuracy? Jeff George had a beautiful arm but great QB...?

If your QB makes the playoffs, his performance in playoffs should count because that is when it's time to be clutch. This is why I think Montana is one of the greatest because in the playoffs and SB's his ball security and decision making is insane.

Edited by Nelson Muntz

if you give Matt Ryan Time

he will carve up any NFL D

the last 2 yrs , he has been flat on his back pretty much every drop back....

under the pressure he is under down in and down out... I am Surprised he is not on IR, much less again Passing for over 4k and 30....

anyone who says Matt Ryan is not a Good QB is a complete Moron and has no clue about NFL Football....

under the pressure he is under down in and down out... I am Surprised he is not on IR, much less again Passing for over 4k and 30....

anyone who says Matt Ryan is not a Good QB is a complete Moron and has no clue about NFL Football....

I agree, you give him time, he will carve your defense up. Anyone can see that.

But that doesn't really answer my question about what we are accepting around here as the universal standard of QB evals.

Other people don't like it, but I just use my eyes. I can see if a QB is good or bad. I personally don't care if someone agrees with me though. I know good and I know bad. That's all that matters for me. If someone wants to disagree with my opinion that is all them, but it won't change mine nor does it matter to me.

At best Ryans an above average qb, im talking back when Gonzo/white/turner/julio was carrying yalls azzes to the playoffs.

Ryan has proven how good he is, which is good to very good, but he's also proven he lacks the ability to put a team on his back and carry them, like all the great ones have. Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Favre, Brees, Montana, Marino, etc.

I don't believe him to NOT to be a good quarterback, just not close to as good as most Falcon fans believe him to be.If he was as good as you all try and make him out to be you would've won a Super Bowl by now. One reason you haven't was is inability to step up in the playoffs.

Ryan has proven how good he is, which is good to very good, but he's also proven he lacks the ability to put a team on his back and carry them, like all the great ones have. Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Favre, Brees, Montana, Marino, etc.

I don't believe him to NOT to be a good quarterback, just not close to as good as most Falcon fans believe him to be.If he was as good as you all try and make him out to be you would've won a Super Bowl by now. One reason you haven't was is inability to step up in the playoffs.

I don't want to change the subject but it seems the def isn't ever pulling their weight in the playoffs as it is Edited by Falcon Little

The mesuring system of a qb depends on what team you like.

saints fans think brees is the second coming. he walks on water. Everyone else sucks.

Panther fans wanna believe Cam is the best while the rest of the NFL see`s Freeman 2.0

Falcon fans are realistic. We know Ryan is great but he isnt payton Manning. We know he hasnt had the best QB coaching in the NFL.

Bucs fans just dont care about QB`s except the 1 they hopefully draft next season.

So what ever team you a fan of. Use the above system to pick the elite qb. Stats can be manipulated.

Coaching is a huge part because a passing style verticle O is gonna rack up some stats.

A conservative 50/50 system ment to milk the clock is gonna be adverage.

A read option system is gonna land the QB some rushing stats.

The bucs O is gonna, well get them the 1st round pick in next years draft.

Oline is equally improtant.

16 postion changes on the oline = dead QB before season ends

6 secs in the pocket makes you look like brees

can open running lanes for Cam

I don't want to change the subject but it seems the def isn't ever pulling their weight in the playoffs as it is

Oh, I agree, it's not all Ryan's fault for sure, but I've seen the truly great quarterbacks (and many Falcon fans here insist Ryan is just that) can grab a team (including the defense) and will them on to Championships. Rodgers & Brady have both done it in recent years, while Ryan just can't seem to do the same.

Oh, I agree, it's not all Ryan's fault for sure, but I've seen the truly great quarterbacks (and many Falcon fans here insist Ryan is just that) can grab a team (including the defense) and will them on to Championships. Rodgers & Brady have both done it in recent years, while Ryan just can't seem to do the same.

Please name the posters who think Ryan is at the level of those QBs. I can't recall a single RCER saying that stupid ish.

Please name the posters who think Ryan is at the level of those QBs. I can't recall a single RCER saying that stupid ish.

You must have WFL on ignore....mmmhmm.gif

This isn't about what you homers say about Ryan as much as it is seriously looking at what he cannot do when compared to the greats. Before last season 90% of the Falcon fans here wanted to believe he was Elite. You can deny it all you want, but Rivals here know better.wink.png

You must have WFL on ignore....mmmhmm.gif

This isn't about what you homers say about Ryan as much as it is seriously looking at what he cannot do when compared to the greats. Before last season 90% of the Falcon fans here wanted to believe he was Elite. You can deny it all you want, but Rivals here know better.wink.png

Ryan is one of only SEVEN qbs to post at least 4 seasons of 4100+ yards and 26+ TDs, he's one of only THREE QBs to do it 4 years in a row.

Ryan's through his first 7 seasons has the second most passing yards IN HISTORY to only Peyton Manning.

He also ranks toward the top in the league in 4th quarter come backs since entering league. While having some of the worst defenses and Offensive lines.

But you know, Good QB.

You must have WFL on ignore....:mmmhmm:

This isn't about what you homers say about Ryan as much as it is seriously looking at what he cannot do when compared to the greats. Before last season 90% of the Falcon fans here wanted to believe he was Elite. You can deny it all you want, but Rivals here know better.;)

You're so full of crap. 90% of RCERS said he wasn't elite, myself included. Many have him ranked somewhere between 6 and 10.

Fact is, you make up stupid ish as you go along, desperately seeking that elusive attention. Face it, there's no difference between you and WFW.