Was Matt Ryan Good In 2012?

PriMeTiiMe

Because he is set to almost identically match those stats this season.

No one was claiming he sucked then and that we should replace him as we went 13-3 and got to the NFC Champ. game.

But nah, Lets ignore the fact we have a terrible run game, a makeshift O-Line, and No Defense. (2 of those 3 were good in 2012). Not to mention No Tony Gonzalez or Michael Turner to kill it on the goalline. (Even in 2012 he had 10 TDs) or Roddy White still playing like he was in 2012 (almost 1400 yards).

Matt Ryan deserves his share of criticism for his idiotic 1 INT a game these days, But he is FAR from the biggest problem in Atlanta. Our RB, TE, O-Line, D-Line, LBs and Secondary are all worse off.

Anyone who thinks he needs to be traded is a complete moron. Sorry, but it's true.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He threw 14. He has 12 so far this year. Assuming he throws 1 each of the last 2 games, He matches 2012.

Really? Huh feels like he threw like 7 that year but I guess not. I guess the reason I thought he threw less was because in that year once the int happened the defense actually stop the other team unlike this year where our defense is as strong as paper.

Really? Huh feels like he threw like 7 that year but I guess not. I guess the reason I thought he threw less was because in that year once the int happened the defense actually stop the other team unlike this year where our defense is as strong as paper.

Having a 5 INT game vs Arizona and a 3 INT game vs Oakland really hurt his INT number that year.

This year he just has a ton of 1 INT Games rather than a bunch of INTs clumped into a game or two.

Matt's not having a bad year by any means. The problem is that a perfect game has become expected from him for us to win any games because you know for sure that the other team is driving down the field to score. All those years Matt had better opportunities at the end of the game getting the ball and grabbing the win, but the last two years time management and play calling has lost us MANY close games.

Pick 6s hurt though

Matt's not having a bad year by any means. The problem is that a perfect game has become expected from him for us to win any games because you know for sure that the other team is driving down the field to score. All those years Matt had better opportunities at the end of the game getting the ball and grabbing the win, but the last two years time management and play calling has lost us MANY close games.

Our Defense was top 5 in points allowed in 2012. It Allowed Ryan room for error and to be a hero at the end of many games.

This season our defense is embarrassing and basically last or dang close to it in every category. As you said, He has to play perfect (Like the Saints game) for us to win against anyone halfway decent.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

You could argue that he's regressed in situational play, not coming up with the drive saving plays he was so great at is first 5 seasons, but I think that has more to do with Koetter and Smitty putting us in bad positions than Matt losing his edge.

I'd argue because he has to do it EVERY week. When we were winning a lot of games he was not forced into those situations every single week where he had no room for error.

Of course he was good in '12, and he's still good! After looking at some of the other teams "QB carousel", lately, we are very blessed to have a franchise QB like Matt Ryan to head up this team!!!
And he's a guy you can continue to build your team around, and will be for years to come ---

Guest Negatorris

So did I. Ryan was good but not 13 win good. Playoffs proved we needed a balanced offense and when Turner went down all bets

were off second half against Niners.

Yeah he was good that year, no arguing there, but he was not great. He started off hot with like 11 TDs in 4 games but leveled out after that. Once he can start tossing 35-40 TDs a year, I'll acknowledge him as a top guy but right now he's just good.. Solid QB.

He'd be better with a consistent run game though I'm sure. Ryan can't lead the team with his arm, and that's become evident.

Yeah he was good that year, no arguing there, but he was not great. He started off hot with like 11 TDs in 4 games but leveled out after that. Once he can start tossing 35-40 TDs a year, I'll acknowledge him as a top guy but right now he's just good.. Solid QB.

He'd be better with a consistent run game though I'm sure. Ryan can't lead the team with his arm, and that's become evident.

Of the past ten Super Bowl champions, not a singe one of them have had a quarterback that has thrown for more than 34 touchdowns. So what is the point of your argument?

Matt Ryan is the Falcons QB for the next 4 or 5 years and that is the way it should be. The biggest difference between 2012 and 2014 is that we came into this season knowing that this defense was going to be horrible. Matt was going to have to be near perfect for this team to have a good record. He's been good and even great at times, but just not as good as he was going to need to be.