Should I Feel Bad For Wanting A Top 10 Pick More Than I Want To Make The Playoffs

bdog 29

Guest facelessman07

If we pick at 7 we are still not getting Ray or Greg... Its atleast 1 95% chance they wont be there

And I've indicated elsewhere I want the suckier teams to win out so we have a better chance

If not, trade back and acquire more picks

My view has long been established

Edited by facelessman07

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I've indicated elsewhere I want the suckier teams to win out so we have a better chance

If not, trade back and acquire more picks

My view has long been established

I dont remember ppl picks ... I was just asking because i saw the top rusher comment ...

I see the benefits on both sides tho... High pick vs The Playoffs

Guest facelessman07

I dont remember ppl picks ... I was just asking because i saw the top rusher comment ...

I see the benefits on both sides tho... High pick vs The Playoffs

Atlanta doesn't become the butt of several jokes if we miss the playoffs

Jokes that will make homers upset, so upset they'll feel the need to post about it here

Im still routing hard for us to win out, but in the back of my mind I know this team absolutely NEEDS the higher draft pick. Making the playoffs could badly handcuff this team for years to come. There is a reason we are 5-9 right now and we need top tier talent in each round to have a chance at fixing this D quickly!

Edited by outofsight2484

Probably. I prefer what is best for the team long term (ie. better draft slot, burying any hope Smitty and Dimitroff have of keeping their jobs) while you think going to the playoffs is a pride thing. There is a fine line between pride and stubbornly wanting something despite it being bad for you.

Not wanting to lose isn't a pride thing ever. It's the same passion that you guys ask for in our players and some of you can't even display it yourselves.

No draft position is guaranteed and knowing that why wouldn't you strive for the best every single year, game, play?

It's not pride, it's just a terrible attitude.

Thing long-term

What is best?

Winning meaningless games or going into draft day with plenty of ammo?

The season is lost

The difference between being 7th and 21st is Dee Milliner and Desmond Trufant. Playing for higher draft picks is one of the dumbest ideas ever, especially in the NFL. Edited by ATLFalcons11

Right now a win vs the Aints is #1 priority. I dont care what the situation.....a win vs the Aints is always a #1 priority.

Then while it's not so much for me playoffs or draft pick, it's more along the line go play your azzes off, against Carolina. Hope you get in, and let the chips fall where they may.

Going into it looking like no matter what, next year we will have better peeps involved in the decision making on and off the field.

I believe you have to play with pride and ball out.

The thing is there is ZERO guarantee that Smith and Td being gone would be "good for the falcons".. we have had a rough 2 years but that does not change the fact both of the men , despite what a bunch of chuckle heads here think are good at what they do. and despite everything this year we still are in the drivers seat for the playoffs for the 5th time in 7 years.

Bears fans thought getting rid of Lovie was " best for the bears future".... now they are probably going after a new coach

Viking fans though getting rid of Denny green was " best for the vikings future", 13 years later they are on their what 5th coach since then

Tampa thought getting rid of Chucky would be the best thing for their future...............4 coaches and 4 last places finishes later..............

There are dozens and dozens of examples...... And it does not mean letting Smitty or TD goes is NOT the right move but it means that the grass is not always greener on the other side...and if it is, its because it is fertilized with horse chit.

Higher draft slots mean little as well........ look at all of the top 10 picks over the last 10 years or so peppered with massive disappointments wither it be by injury or play some of the busts are staggering.

Robert Gallery,Jamarcus Russel, Arron Curry, Sam Bradford, Rolando Mcclain, Jason Smith, Darrius Heyward Bay, Braylen Edwards, Try Williamson, Mike Williams, Vince Young. Micheal Huff, Ernie Sims...the list goes on... and on....and.

The point is the future is not guaranteed...good or bad. And to sacrifice the present for uncertainty of the future is foolish.

The last part is prophetic on so many levels

Guest facelessman07

The difference between being 7th and 21st is Dee Milliner and Desmond Trufant. Playing for higher draft picks is one of the dumbest ideas ever, especially in the NFL.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Especially when we can just trade up and mortgage our future for overrated players

GOOD PLAN

Let's win out so we can do that

Yeah, I guess you're right. Especially when we can just trade up and mortgage our future for overrated players

GOOD PLAN

Let's win out so we can do that

Mortgage our future?????

Wtf r u talking about?

The difference between losing out and winning out is being 7th in the draft or 21st in the draft.

In the 2013 draft, that difference was Dee Milliner or Dj Hayden and Trufant. There's no trade up that I'm referencing here. The fact that we traded up in that draft is irrelevant. Do you understand now?

Edited by ATLFalcons11

Guest facelessman07

Mortgage our future?????

Wtf r u talking about?

The difference between losing out and winning out is being 7th in the draft or 21st in the draft.

In the 2013 draft, that difference was Dee Milliner or Dj Hayden and Trufant. There's no trade up that I'm referencing here. The fact that we traded up in that draft is irrelevant. Do you understand now?

And you're assuming we would've drafted Milliner

WRONG

You are dense. I'll make it easier for you. The difference between 7th and 21st in the 2004 draft was Roy Williams and Vince Wilfork. Stop playing for higher draft picks. It's dumb.

It's the comparison of the players at the draft position that we would be getting or losing. It's not difficult to understand.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

Guest facelessman07

And if you remember your Falcons history we were rumored to be trading up for Dee Milliner that year...so the idea that we would have drafted him isn't off based.

If that was actually true that's even more of an indictment on TD

But everything I remember was pointing to Tru

No, you should not feel bad.

In the 25+ years I have watched this team, I have always hoped for the best... only to be ultimately let down.

The actions of this team created a culture of doubt, not the other way around, so no fan should take any sh!t for balancing their hopes with a dose of realistic expectations.

Of course we all want to see the Falcons stomp the Saints & Panthers. Of course we all want to see the Falcons make the playoffs & win a Super Bowl. But to have the same type of expectations we had in '98 or '12 for the team we're seeing this year is absurd.

For all that we want to beat the Saints, it's important to remember that they want to beat us too... and unfortunately they've had for more success than we have in that regard over the last 7 or 8 years. Even though the Saints have been just as up & down as we have, this game is hardly a gimme for the Falcons. Far from it actually.

Even if the Falcons do manage to win out, there is the glaring reality that the only reason they make the playoffs is because of the totally head scratching fact that somehow the other teams in the division were actually worse than us. The NFL playoff seeding system is flawed. A team with a losing record ultimately has no business being in the playoffs. A 7-9 team should never be in above a team that's 10-6, 9-7, etc.

But it is what it is for now, and you can't fault the Falcons for taking advantage of the situation. It's true that you can only play the hand you were dealt, but it's also true that just because you're sitting at the poker table doesn't mean you're actually any good at playing cards.

If the Falcons make it, they will have a record of 7-9. 6 of those 7 wins will have come against the other teams in the NFC South. Unfortunately, we won't be able to play any of them in the playoffs, so the odds of getting a few postseason victories is rather slim. Not impossible, but not any where close to likely either.

Should fans hope for the best?

Always.

Should fans expect the best?

Based on what this team has shown this year, or last year, or in the multiple playoff collapses during the Smith era, or through the Vick debacle, or in the Eugene Robinson debacle, or in the entire history of the franchise...

... Not often unless you get off on being let down.

Guest facelessman07

Well yea of course because Tru was more in our range but if we were closer to 7th then Hayden or Milliner may have been the actual pick.

Milliner was overrated, and Hayden was picked by the ghost of Al Davis

Had we traded up that far, DT would be the only logical choice. But they'd probably suck in this "multiple" scheme

The way that I see it is that either way Falcons fans win.

On the one hand we might get a home playoff win, and if we win then yeah Smith probably stays, but if he can do that, then I say let him stay for another year after all he's done for the franchise. Plus a playoff win always feels amazing.

On the other hand if we lost out then we get a top 10 draft pick and hopefully a new HC that isn't afraid to put the best talent on the field.

The way I see it, I want us to either go 2-0 or 0-2 but not 1-1.

Amen brotha this is exactly how I feel

Milliner was overrated, and Hayden was picked by the ghost of Al Davis

Had we traded up that far, DT would be the only logical choice. But they'd probably suck in this "multiple" scheme

The overall point was not a trade up. It was an if we were picking 7th that year instead of 21st, well technically 25th.

It was showing an example of having a higher pick doesn't guarantee success.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

Wow didn't know this thread will blow up like this. Few thoughts running through my mind right now.

1. I hate the Saints and I don't want to lose to the Saints. I even mentioned that in the OP. But the way I see things shaking, I don't see us winning in NO. As bad as the Saints are, Sean Payton is that much better of a coach than Smitty that I see them eeking this one out.

2. Some of you older fans in here are delusional, especially Supes, are delusional. I swear the older generation loves blindly sticking to ideologies without looking at the bigger picture. How can you sit here and just shout, "Win good, lose bad" without looking at what each does for the team overall. Does "win good, lose bad" look like a good idea when talking about our game against Washington last year? I like Jake Matthews but that win possibly kept us from Khalil Mack. Khalil Mack would have made a much bigger impact on this team this year Jake Matthews has. Was beating the lowly Redskins worth it?

Wake up, if this team makes the playoffs it'll only be to go down as the objectively worst playoff team in NFL history. I'd rather a top 10 pick going down as a historically bad team.

Delusions of Grandure.

Umm No. I'm not giving up on my team. When they are officially eliminated we can talk offseason moves,draft picks and firing coaches. Can't believe you would want our team to lose for high draft picks. Than again, I guess you are not a true fan. You Saint.

Edited by birdman71