Should I Feel Bad For Wanting A Top 10 Pick More Than I Want To Make The Playoffs

bdog 29

As it stands now, I think we're somewhere like 7th in draft standing. For some reason, that sounds much more appealing to me than the possibility of winning out and making the playoffs.

For one, it'll almost assuredly guarantee a new regime and the possibility of getting a GM and coach who actually value a defense and pass rush is exciting. Plus with a top pick and a good bit of free agent money, they can really go to work.

The way I see it making the playoffs would just cement our legacy as the worst playoff team in NFL history when we get blown out by whoever we play in the first round. Even worse, if we beat our first opponent and get destroyed in the divisional round, the likelihood of Dimitroff and Smith staying increases.

Now some of you may be in the "Once you're in you have a chance" boat and want us to make the postseason but I've seen this team play. Defense wins championships and nothing I've seen from our defense in the past 14 games makes me think they're championship caliber. We're 32nd in the league and at the bottom in sacks. Watching this team defense play is nauseating. I wouldn't want to prolong that.

I hope we beat the Saints because I hate the Saints but I don't want this team anywhere near the playoffs.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

The way that I see it is that either way Falcons fans win.

On the one hand we might get a home playoff win, and if we win then yeah Smith probably stays, but if he can do that, then I say let him stay for another year after all he's done for the franchise. Plus a playoff win always feels amazing.

On the other hand if we lost out then we get a top 10 draft pick and hopefully a new HC that isn't afraid to put the best talent on the field.

The way I see it, I want us to either go 2-0 or 0-2 but not 1-1.

Does it matter?? We just picked 6th last year and had a lot of cap money as well. We could be picking in the top 10 for 10 years straight and still have nothing to show for it. If you have a chance to compete for a Lombardi you take it.

you are joking with the "if you have a chance to compete for the Lombardi.." crap, right?

OP is right. This team and the way it has been coached and roster build is an EPIC fail. The sooner the architects of this team get blown out, the better. We are closer to being the Jaguars than we are the Seahawks.

Having the 6th pick last year helped us with getting Jake Matthews as a building block on the O-Line. Picking up another anchor to this team will help. Look at the Detroit Lions - they were awful for many years but they eventually hit paydirt when they put Ndamukong Suh and Matthew Stafford with Megatron - now they have not "arrived" yet but at least they have been in the mix lately.

"Yes" a top 10 pick is more important than backing into the playoffs at 7-9.

Draft picks don't mean a whole lot when you have people who don't know how to draft players. It's the organization that is most responsible for setting a culture and mentality of knowing how to evaluate talent, and while the Falcons have occasionally hit on a couple of draft picks, they simply don't have the kind of organizational structure in place to do this consistently.

Draft picks don't mean a whole lot when you have people who don't know how to draft players. It's the organization that is most responsible for setting a culture and mentality of knowing how to evaluate talent, and while the Falcons have occasionally hit on a couple of draft picks, they simply don't have the kind of organizational structure in place to do this consistently.

this is theoretical discussion anyway as Falcons will try and win.

to your point above, the culture is going to change as we all expect the current regime to change. More draft picks and higher draft picks will help change the talent and the culture of this Falcons franchise.

You don't need to feel bad about anything. If you're honestly more excited about a good draft than a short playoff stint then what can you do. It's only when people are douchey about it ("you're insane if you want to see this crappy team in the playoffs!!1 youre stupid!!! i want smith gone NOW!!!") that it really gets on my nerves.

you are joking with the "if you have a chance to compete for the Lombardi.." crap, right?

OP is right. This team and the way it has been coached and roster build is an EPIC fail. The sooner the architects of this team get blown out, the better. We are closer to being the Jaguars than we are the Seahawks.

Having the 6th pick last year helped us with getting Jake Matthews as a building block on the O-Line. Picking up another anchor to this team will help. Look at the Detroit Lions - they were awful for many years but they eventually hit paydirt when they put Ndamukong Suh and Matthew Stafford with Megatron - now they have not "arrived" yet but at least they have been in the mix lately.

Yep, I must say the only Lombardi we will see if we back into the playoffs is some other winning team hoisting it.

Top 10 pick aint sht. We'll be losing for 5 years straight and y'all will be saying the same thing.

Yeah you should feel bad.

We've never been able to meet expectations in the playoffs. So why not try exceeding expectations? It worked for the Giants.

Do not reply to this by comparing our defense to the Giants'. I'm just saying when you're hot you're hot, and we've got no idea what's going to happen these next 2 games.

I would take a playoff spot 10/10 times, why else would I call myself a Falcons fan? So I can sit around another entire off-season and listen to every idiot speculate how our season will go?

I'm absolutely sick of "potential draft picks" and "speculation." I want to see some ******* football in January.

Edit: If you don't feel the same way then you really shouldn't call yourself a diehard Falcons' fan. If playoffs are in the picture you should never root for your team to lose. That's just my two cents.

Edited by roddyyoudaman

Yeah you should feel bad.

We've never been able to meet expectations in the playoffs. So why not try exceeding expectations? It worked for the Giants.

Do not reply to this by comparing our defense to the Giants'. I'm just saying when you're hot you're hot, and we've got no idea what's going to happen these next 2 games.

I would take a playoff spot 10/10 times, why else would I call myself a Falcons fan? So I can sit around another entire off-season and listen to every idiot speculate how our season will go?

I'm absolutely sick of "potential draft picks" and "speculation." I want to see some ******* football in January.

Edit: If you don't feel the same way then you really shouldn't call yourself a diehard Falcons' fan. If playoffs are in the picture you should never root for your team to lose. That's just my two cents.

I spend my hard earned money to see these idiots disappoint me. Do you support this team financially?

Does it matter?? We just picked 6th last year and had a lot of cap money as well. We could be picking in the top 10 for 10 years straight and still have nothing to show for it. If you have a chance to compete for a Lombardi you take it.

We don't have a chance in competing for a Lombardi, we'll simply be a playoff "team"... Technically

We had a top 10 pick last year. How is that working for us? Look at the team with the first pick.

A playoff game is a sure chance to win one and move on. A draft pick is a roll of the dice. I'll take the bird in a hand over two in the bush every time.

What is the difference between 7 and 20? That answer is...no one knows. It could be a lot, or almost nothing.

Uh, you can put your feelings in a drawer.

The Falcons aren't going to any playoffs. Drew Brees will carve up their HAPLESS defense like a Christmas Turkey.

It will be humiliating, it will be thorough, it will be on display.........it will be FINAL.

The Falcon franchise will start their long, long, long road to change and recovery starting at the end up next week's debacle.

Should you feel bad? No, I don't think you should feel bad. I just don't care about draft position that much. Good GMs (not that we have one) find good players in the draft. Great players are found all through the first round. If we had a need for a QB and someone like Luck was coming out then it might make sense, but we aren't in that situation.

You don't need to feel bad about anything. If you're honestly more excited about a good draft than a short playoff stint then what can you do. It's only when people are douchey about it ("you're insane if you want to see this crappy team in the playoffs!!1 youre stupid!!! i want smith gone NOW!!!") that it really gets on my nerves.

Sadly,I must agree with the sentiment here. This is a likely scenario.