Falcons Last Offensive Possession Of The Steelers Game

domeOFpain

First this is not analysis, just facts as presented by actual game footage (with some added opinion). The Falcon’s 4th quarter last offensive possession of the game; score, Steelers lead 27-20. Clock starts with 6:23 seconds showing. 1st down play: Pass to Harry Douglas on left sideline. Good pass protection, announcer says. “With time,” and the ball is badly overthrown to an open Harry Douglas. 2nd down play: Pass to Harry Douglas; with adequate protection, ball dumped down for a 4 yard gain. 3rd down play, 6 yards to go: (Writers note: The reason it’s more difficult to score in the red zone is due to a shortened field and receivers can’t stretch the field which allows the defense to bunch up more so than otherwise.) Back to the 3rd down play. Steelers rush four – no blitz. Adequate pass protection. No receivers stretch the field. Steelers now in the perfect defense for a dump down pass. Ryan dumps the ball to Harry Douglas middle of the field for a 4 yard gain. It’s now 4th and 2, forcing a punt. Important note here. Clock is running with “5:25” remaining. Trailing by seven, Falcons need the ball back with time to score a TD. However, Falcons take their time to punt as if to purposefully run time off the clock. After the punt, Steelers take 1st down with 4:36 remaining; Falcons never to touch the ball again on offense. Three plays, 3 passes, 8 yards. That series (wasted series – my opinion) I just described is where big time teams and QBs step it up. That was a horrific series when we needed to score to force overtime – at least. My opinion here. Yes that series is when Elite $100 million QBs earn that Elite status and the $100 million. Montana threw “the catch,” Elway had the drives…well. Enough said.

I think missing julio was the main reason we lost.

If we can't overcome the loss of one player then we have major problems. Also the fact that Julio is often injured, does that me we should just pack it in whenever he doesn't play? Ryan and the other receivers should still be able to over come the loss of Julio.

That 1st down pass, HD is not open at all, it was a throw away pass.

The 3rd down play was pathetic on HD, Keottner, and Ryan...no reason you are throwing a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 6th to the least tackle breaking wideout, maybe player, in the entire NFL.

I didn't mind the punt at all considering the circumstance, and we should have had the ball back with about 3 minutes and 3 timeouts if it wasn't for regular poor/biased officiating.

That 1st down pass, HD is not open at all, it was a throw away pass.

The 3rd down play was pathetic on HD, Keottner, and Ryan...no reason you are throwing a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 6th to the least tackle breaking wideout, maybe player, in the entire NFL.

I didn't mind the punt at all considering the circumstance, and we should have had the ball back with about 3 minutes and 3 timeouts if it wasn't for regular poor/biased officiating.

I'll let the pictures offer a reply about the 1st down pass...

post-169606-0-58951500-1418658050_thumb.

post-169606-0-37937500-1418658073_thumb.

post-169606-0-58951500-1418658050_thumb.

post-169606-0-37937500-1418658073_thumb.

Not using this 6'8" TE more is just idiotic. I know he doesn't have the best hands. But he can outreach anyone in the NFL for a ball

He's 6"8 of suck. He's terrible. A pinky finger of height over your NFL average TE isn't going to make you special. He's horrible at running routes and awkward with the ball, and run blocks about as well as Tony Gonzalez did at the end of his career. He's the single worst player on our starting offense by a decent margin.

How is it that Douglas was opened? He wasn't, it was a throw away play. Knowing how bad the defense is, I would have taken my chances going for it on 4th and 2.

Okay, if it's a "throw away," why is Matt throwing the ball away? The pic speaks for itself...a complete pocket around him and no defensive player within 3 yards of Ryan. So, if it's a "throw away," why is Matt throwing the ball away? See the pic...

post-169606-0-55241600-1418681435_thumb.

If we can't overcome the loss of one player then we have major problems. Also the fact that Julio is often injured, does that me we should just pack it in whenever he doesn't play? Ryan and the other receivers should still be able to over come the loss of Julio.

yeah I agree - now how many have we lost this year that were key ??

Okay, if it's a "throw away," why is Matt throwing the ball away? The pic speaks for itself...a complete pocket around him and no defensive player within 3 yards of Ryan. So, if it's a "throw away," why is Matt throwing the ball away? See the pic...

He's throwing it away because no one is open I would assume.

He's throwing it away because no one is open I would assume.

Pro QBs with that much pocket, empty space, around them do not throw the ball away...the play is extended. The QB stands in the pocket letting his receivers adjust...That was a wasted play in an important situation. If that was a throw, the line would say, "Why are we pass protecting, if you are just gong to throw the darn ball away?"

Pro QBs with that much pocket, empty space, around them do not throw the ball away...the play is extended. The QB stands in the pocket letting his receivers adjust...That was a wasted play in an important situation. If that was a throw, the line would say, "Why are we pass protecting, if you are just gong to throw the darn ball away?"

Huh? So you'd rather him force the ball to someone obviously covered?

Harry ran his route to perfection. (1) he had single coverage - no other defender within 6 yards. (2) Harry has the single coverage defender behind him and the sideline to Harry's right (3) This route traps the defender from coming around the right-side to defend the ball (can't be the 1st to touch the ball after stepping out of bounds) (4) Now, for this, the QB must throw to the back shoulder - sideline shoulder. (5) With the defender behind the receiver and a back shoulder throw, it's indefensible - the play is indefenible. The ball was 6 yards over Harry's head and was not a throw away just a Bad "A' pass by Matt Ryan. Period. $100 million QBs are expected to make that ROUTINE throw - especially with NO Pressure on the passer.