Blown Up On The Bayou: How The Saints Ended Up In Salary-Cap ****

AutumnEffect

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/new-orleans-saints-salary-cap/

Too long to quote, really, but it's wonderful. Enjoy.

tl;dr from Phillipkeith Manley:

To save a few million bucks in 2014, the Saints were willing to kick the proverbial can down the road, running the risk they would be stuck with big contracts and lose-lose decisions with unproductive players down the line. Had they built a Super Bowl contender in 2014, nobody would really have cared. But they didn’t.

The problem is, they still won’t have any real space to upgrade their roster. They’ve already been aggressive with restructuring player contracts to try to create more cap space in the present while throwing the future to the wind, and it’s beginning to catch up.

If the Saints hit on Byrd, and Galette became a dominant pass-rusher, and the 2014 Saints went 13-3, Loomis wins executive of the year and we remark at how creative he was in opening up space for the final pieces of his puzzle.

Instead, Loomis swung for the fences and popped one up. The Saints might make the playoffs, but they won’t be serious contenders and it would be an upset to see them make it out of the first round, let alone go further. In return, they sacrificed future flexibility, left themselves vulnerable to massive declines, and limited Loomis’s ability to improve the team in 2015 and beyond. Even if the Saints can ensure the bill doesn’t come due for a number of years, it turns out the meal wasn’t really very good, anyway.

Edited by AutumnEffect

Great read...

;tldr version:

To save a few million bucks in 2014, the Saints were willing to kick the proverbial can down the road, running the risk they would be stuck with big contracts and lose-lose decisions with unproductive players down the line. Had they built a Super Bowl contender in 2014, nobody would really have cared. But they didn’t.

The problem is, they still won’t have any real space to upgrade their roster. They’ve already been aggressive with restructuring player contracts to try to create more cap space in the present while throwing the future to the wind, and it’s beginning to catch up.

If the Saints hit on Byrd, and Galette became a dominant pass-rusher, and the 2014 Saints went 13-3, Loomis wins executive of the year and we remark at how creative he was in opening up space for the final pieces of his puzzle.

Instead, Loomis swung for the fences and popped one up. The Saints might make the playoffs, but they won’t be serious contenders and it would be an upset to see them make it out of the first round, let alone go further. In return, they sacrificed future flexibility, left themselves vulnerable to massive declines, and limited Loomis’s ability to improve the team in 2015 and beyond. Even if the Saints can ensure the bill doesn’t come due for a number of years, it turns out the meal wasn’t really very good, anyway.

Curtis Lofton's contract gives him a 9 million dollar cap hit next year, I wonder if he will be a surpise cut. I wouldnt mind bringing him back in, its obvious that the middle is still wide open whether Lofton was susceptible to getting beat there or not. Lofton would be our best ILB immediately, Im over his comments about Atlanta, maybe with a new regime, what he said wouldnt matter.

This is why I hate when someone brings up the argument "but the Saints always have money why cant we sign people" They don't have money 30 million over the cap proves it.

I don't think anyone wants to be in the cap situation the Saints are, but we have had plenty of cash to address deeply neglected positions like pass rusher. We could have definitely gone after better talent and still been fine under the cap.

Couple of my favorite parts:

"...Those seven players alone count for an unreal $92.8 million on the 2015 cap...." Brees, Evans, Lofton, Byrd, Grubbs, Galette, Graham. That's roughly 2/3s of the cap for 7 players.

"...This is, truthfully, a team built to self-destruct upon the expiration of Drew Brees. Brees’s deal, whose cap hit increases from $18.4 million to $26.4 million next year, runs through the 2016 season. At that point, he’ll either retire, negotiate what is likely to be a smaller deal, or move on. Whatever he does, the Saints will likely use that year to let some of their awful contracts wash away into the ether, burn a lot of dead money, and create cap space for the next Saints quarterback in 2017 and beyond...."

The timing of things makes me wonder if we are lucky or our FO is crazy insightful. Saints and Panthers are in cap **** going forward with big commitments to washed up or unproductive vets. Bucs are a mess. Meanwhile we're in good cap shape and already have a top tier offense and special teams.

Smitty cost us a couple games, our talent is that of a better than .500 team. In this division, with our competitors getting worse not better, this should be the most attractive open hc position in the league.

Guest Negatorris

Couple of my favorite parts:

"...Those seven players alone count for an unreal $92.8 million on the 2015 cap...." Brees, Evans, Lofton, Byrd, Grubbs, Galette, Graham. That's roughly 2/3s of the cap for 7 players.

"...This is, truthfully, a team built to self-destruct upon the expiration of Drew Brees. Brees’s deal, whose cap hit increases from $18.4 million to $26.4 million next year, runs through the 2016 season. At that point, he’ll either retire, negotiate what is likely to be a smaller deal, or move on. Whatever he does, the Saints will likely use that year to let some of their awful contracts wash away into the ether, burn a lot of dead money, and create cap space for the next Saints quarterback in 2017 and beyond...."

Lol smh...

Curtis Lofton's contract gives him a 9 million dollar cap hit next year, I wonder if he will be a surpise cut. I wouldnt mind bringing him back in, its obvious that the middle is still wide open whether Lofton was susceptible to getting beat there or not. Lofton would be our best ILB immediately, Im over his comments about Atlanta, maybe with a new regime, what he said wouldnt matter.

You really think Lofton would ever come here? He hates Atlanta's guts and makes sure to tell everybody about it twice a year. He'll never be a Falcon again.