Southward Sliding Into A Role On Defense

atljbo

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/football/southward-sliding-into-a-role-on-defense/njQwC/

Southward sliding into a role on defense

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Falcons safety Dezmen Southward, the team’s third-round draft pick, is being developed this season.

Southward, who was in the league’s concussion protocaol earlier this season, has played 186 snaps in the Falcons’ dime (six defensive backs) package.

“Dez has done a very nice job,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “He’s very athletic. He can run. He’s done a nice job on special teams for us as a gunner. He’s a guy that’s been able to get down under the ball.”

The Falcons like Southward’s versatility.

“He’s got speed and he would be a guy who could potentially line up and play corner for us as well,” Smith said. “We had him in the Senior Bowl as a corner and that’s something that he does. It gives us some flexibility and options in terms of trying to match.”

Southward has 15 tackles, two pass break ups, a tackle for a loss and one interception.

To bad we dont play bump and run. We play start 10 yards away and bail out when the ball is hiked. I dont mind anything that helps the team win but Ive said plenty of times before if Southward isnt the FS of the future for us then we wasted a HIGH 3rd round pick on him when obviously there are holes all over the defense. Same goes for Hageman. We needed and pass rusher and FS and walked away with those 2. They better become beasts someday

Yeah I'm starting to doubt the Southward pick.. If he isn't the FS of the future we did not get value out of that high 3rd round pick. A situational 3rd safety in big nickel looks or a 3rd cornerback nowhere near justifies an early 3rd rounder

No one expected Lowery to play as he has this season. If nothing else Southward can take over in 2016 and have 2 years to prove his worth of a contract extension

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

Yea no doubt, they expected Free Safety to be a weak point this season and that is why they reached and drafted Southward. If they knew how well Lowrey was going to play then Southward probably wouldn't even have been drafted.

Yeah I'm starting to doubt the Southward pick.. If he isn't the FS of the future we did not get value out of that high 3rd round pick. A situational 3rd safety in big nickel looks or a 3rd cornerback nowhere near justifies an early 3rd rounder

you do know a 3rd cb plays 65% of the snaps... Thats basically a starter

you do know a 3rd cb plays 65% of the snaps... Thats basically a starter

We already had Alford and Tru as our top 2 and plenty of solid options for our 3rd cb/nickel in McClain, Wilson, and Arenas. That would be a huge waste but I know we didn't draft him to be a 3rd CB

As for everyone taking about Lowery I entirely expected him to play at the level he currently is, watching any tape on him you saw he was a solid FS. We'll see how Southward develops but he needs to turn into a "solid" starting FS to begin justifying that pick

I wouldn't put too much stock into anything Smitty says regarding the future of this team... hes not going to be around to see it come to fruition.

With that being said, with Willie Mo missing a lot of games this season, Southward has gained some valuable experience playing in 3 safety sets. I think hes played the most out of all of the rookies behind Jake. He will be fine.

Edited by FentayeJones

Imo southward is on the trailing end of a lot of big plays and touchdowns. last one was the jordy touchdown when kroy was "spying" jordy was passed to him and he couldn't do the job

I do understand his a rookie and I root for him wholeheartedly bump and run is where he may excel at, i remember him playing that in the Senior bowl..

but I'm not sure if we will ever get the VALUE from that pick as usual

DIMITROFFED

Imo southward is on the trailing end of a lot of big plays and touchdowns. last one was the jordy touchdown when kroy was "spying" jordy was passed to him and he couldn't do the job

I do understand his a rookie and I root for him wholeheartedly bump and run is where he may excel at, i remember him playing that in the Senior bowl..

but I'm not sure if we will ever get the VALUE from that pick as usual

DIMITROFFED

That was Ishmael that Nelson passed on that td play.

I don't get how yall can already write a player off 13 games into their careers. Instant gratification kills this place

This was his issue in college. Tried at too many positions and never developed as any.

Well heIl, he's come to the right place [purple]

I don't get how yall can already write a player off 13 games into their careers. Instant gratification kills this place

Well heIl, he's come to the right place [purple]

Having Southward switch to corner isn't really writing him off.

If he was to bloom into a really good sizable corner opposite of Tru, then that would add another element to the defense. Especially once the Falcons get some edge rushers.

Southward sliding into a role on defense

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Falcons safety Dezmen Southward, the team’s third-round draft pick, is being developed this season.

Southward, who was in the league’s concussion protocaol earlier this season, has played 186 snaps in the Falcons’ dime (six defensive backs) package.

“Dez has done a very nice job,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “He’s very athletic. He can run. He’s done a nice job on special teams for us as a gunner. He’s a guy that’s been able to get down under the ball.”

The Falcons like Southward’s versatility.

“He’s got speed and he would be a guy who could potentially line up and play corner for us as well,” Smith said. “We had him in the Senior Bowl as a corner and that’s something that he does. It gives us some flexibility and options in terms of trying to match.”

Southward has 15 tackles, two pass break ups, a tackle for a loss and one interception.

Coach didn't say he was planning on switching him to CB, only said he could line up there, which gives them flexibility.

I see we still have the armchair GMs who think if a 3rd round pick isn't on highlight reels of ESPN by his 13th rookie game he a bust. *smh*