Julio And Willy Mo Still Game Time Decision

By Vaughn McClure | December 11, 2014 3:35:04 PM PST

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith continued to sound optimistic about the status of both receiver Julio Jones and strong safety William Moore for Sunday's game against the Steelers.

Neither player practiced Thursday, and Jones wasn't visible in the locker room after practice. He apparently suffered a hip pointer in Monday night's 43-37 loss to the Packers, and Moore suffered some type of right foot injury. Moore's foot is not in a walking boot.

"I think that there's a good chance that these guys will be ready to go," Smith said. "Both of them have made a big turnaround in the first 48 hours, and usually that first 48 hours is a pretty good indicator. I think they will both be game-time decisions, but we do like the way that they've progressed through the first 48 hours."

Smith previously said Jones and Moore could play without practice at all during this short week. Moore's status appears to be more in doubt than Jones', although neither players has shown physical signs of being hobbled while simply walking around the locker room.

Smith sounded less optimistic about the status of cornerback Robert Alford, who has missed the past three games with broken wrist. Smith initially called it a two-to-four week injury.

"Robert is still not ready to go," Smith said. "He did not participate (Thursday), and I don't anticipate him practicing this week."

Outside linebacker/defensive end Stansly Maponga, who has been dealing with an elbow injury, was excused from practice Thursday. Smith said he expects Maponga to return Friday.

difference is the playoffs were a lock when he was injured. They have nothing set in stone right now and Julio at the least is a huge part of success for the offense

True, but I want them 100% for the rest of the division games, who cares if they win a Nikon conference? They're worth what half a game? Win the division and they are in. Plus wouldn't it be great to see Julio break falcons record on the panthers? Prayers to cam Newton and his family.

True, but I want them 100% for the rest of the division games, who cares if they win a Nikon conference? They're worth what half a game? Win the division and they are in. Plus wouldn't it be great to see Julio break falcons record on the panthers? Prayers to cam Newton and his family.

the falcons pretty much need to win out to guarantee an entrance in the post season and I'm saying that because you never know what Carolina(already opened the season with a win without cam) and new orleans will do this week. Moore and Alford can sit but Julio is needed.

the falcons pretty much need to win out to guarantee an entrance in the post season and I'm saying that because you never know what Carolina(already opened the season with a win without cam) and new orleans will do this week. Moore and Alford can sit but Julio is needed.

Would it be so bad to miss the playoffs with a healthy Julio and Moore with a 6 and 0 division record? Top 18 pick and swept the division. There are some good line backers and pass rushers in this draft too. I'm not advocating for the tank, there's no luck. But as a fan its a win win for me.

Would it be so bad to miss the playoffs with a healthy Julio and Moore with a 6 and 0 division record? Top 18 pick and swept the division. There are some good line backers and pass rushers in this draft too. I'm not advocating for the tank, there's no luck. But as a fan its a win win for me.

you do realize that with the scenario that you just gave, it's actually possible that they make the playoffs. And I'm not even gonna get into the fact that neither of the last 2 games are guaranteed wins. Thus week either. But anywho, if they are able to go, they need to play. Moore and Alford are the only 2 that may not be able to go. They need Julio more. They are battling for a division crown, not just hoping to sweep the division

you do realize that with the scenario that you just gave, it's actually possible that they make the playoffs. And I'm not even gonna get into the fact that neither of the last 2 games are guaranteed wins. Thus week either. But anywho, if they are able to go, they need to play. Moore and Alford are the only 2 that may not be able to go. They need Julio more. They are battling for a division crown, not just hoping to sweep the division

Exactly its a win win dude.

Maybe I misread it but it looks like you said you would prefer they miss the playoffs but finish the season 6-0 in the division and get a top 20 pick while at the same time 7-9 will land them in the playoffs. You want them in the playoffs or nah

I'm just saying it's a safe bet to sit them because the saints and panthers suck and the reward is either playoffs or a top draft pick. Plus you know jj and Moore are truly 100% at least against the saints. Big division wins could be more important for getting hot in the playoffs.

I'm just saying it's a safe bet to sit them because the saints and panthers suck and the reward is either playoffs or a top draft pick. Plus you know jj and Moore are truly 100% at least against the saints. Big division wins could be more important for getting hot in the playoffs.

lol so you are saying the Saints and Panthers games are gimmies because they suck yet in the NFL numerous teams have proven that means absolutely nothing. No point in continuing this conversation.

lol so you are saying the Saints and Panthers games are gimmies because they suck yet in the NFL numerous teams have proven that means absolutely nothing. No point in continuing this conversation.

I'm not going to assume those teams lose out, there's an unknown variable in Charlotte and the saints are smiths daddy. But the Steelers aren't worth risking Moore and Julio

I'm not going to assume those teams lose out, there's an unknown variable in Charlotte and the saints are smiths daddy. But the Steelers aren't worth risking Moore and Julio

lol you already have made the assumption. But it is what it is. I hope they play the ones that are capable of playing a full high level game and hope they win all 3 to finish 8-8. Talk about how unimportant this game is all you guys want. If you really wanna see the team make the playoffs on a hot streak, you would want them to start that streak this week. But thats just me. I can only hope the team feels the same way