12 Year Old Girl Persecuted In Stockbridge

freebird310

Man, this is truly fked up....sounds like both racial and economic persecution. The little girl wrote on a fkng bathroom wall and becomes the target of a Gestapo like persecution. If her struggling parents had 100$ no big deal. The authorities in this case should be investigated and prosecuted IMO......

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/education/school-discipline-to-girls-differs-between-and-within-races/ar-BBgD349?ocid=HPCDHP

School Discipline to Girls Differs Between and Within Races

STOCKBRIDGE, Ga. — To hear Mikia Hutchings speak, one must lean in close as her voice barely rises above a whisper. In report cards, her teachers describe the 12-year-old as “very focused,” someone who follows the rules and stays on task. So it was a surprise for her grandmother when Mikia and a friend got into trouble for writing graffiti on the walls of a gym bathroom at Dutchtown Middle School in Henry County last year.

Even more of a surprise was the penalty after her family disputed the role she was accused of playing in the vandalism and said it could not pay about $100 in restitution. While both students were suspended from school for a few days, Mikia had to face a school disciplinary hearing and, a few weeks later, a visit by a uniformed officer from the local Sheriff’s Department, who served her grandmother with papers accusing Mikia of a trespassing misdemeanor and, potentially, a felony.

As part of an agreement with the state to have the charges dismissed in juvenile court, Mikia admitted to the allegations of criminal trespassing. Mikia, who is African-American, spent her summer on probation, under a 7 p.m. curfew, and had to complete 16 hours of community service in addition to writing an apology letter to a student whose sneakers were defaced in the incident.

Her friend, who is white, was let go after her parents paid restitution.

For all the attention placed on problems that black boys face in terms of school discipline and criminal justice, there is increasing focus on the way those issues affect black girls as well.

Data from the Office for Civil Rights at the United States Department of Education shows that from 2011 to 2012, black girls in public elementary and secondary schools nationwide were suspended at a rate of 12 percent, compared with a rate of just 2 percent for white girls and more than girls of any other race or ethnicity. In Georgia, the ratio of black girls receiving suspensions in the same period compared with white girls is 5 to 1, and in Henry County, that ratio is 2.3 to 1, said J D Hardin, the spokesman for the county’s school district. And researchers say that within minority groups, darker-skinned girls are disciplined more harshly than light-skinned ones.

Michael J. Tafelski, an attorney from the Georgia Legal Services Program who represented Mikia in the school disciplinary hearing, and advocates for students say the punishment Mikia faced was an example of racial disparities in school discipline.

In response to the actions taken against Mikia, Mr. Tafelski said his office had filed a complaint with the Department of Justice claiming racial discrimination and a violation of the Civil Rights Act. “I’ve never had a white kid call me for representation in Henry County,” Mr. Tafelski said.

“What kid needs to be having a conversation with a lawyer about the right to remain silent?” he said. “White kids don’t have those conversations; black kids do.”

According to Mikia, her only offense was writing the word “Hi” on a bathroom stall door while her friend scribbled the rest of the graffiti. “I only wrote one word and I had to do all that,” Mikia said in a recent interview. “It isn’t fair.”

“She couldn’t eat, she was scared” after the officer visited her home, said Kenji Roberts, Mikia’s grandmother and legal guardian. Mr. Hardin, of the Henry County school district, said that, for privacy reasons, the district could not comment on her case, but that the district had set up a committee to review its disciplinary procedures.

Even more evidence that we do not live in a post-racial society, and that racism, however subtle, permeates so much of our culture. I'm glad reports like this see the light fo day, so that we can know the facts and consider our beliefs and actions accordingly.

And I'd like to pre-empt the ludicrous 'How about not doing the thing for which you're punished unequally because of your race!' as a defense for racism.

Even more evidence that we do not live in a post-racial society, and that racism, however subtle, permeates so much of our culture. I'm glad reports like this see the light fo day, so that we can know the facts and consider our beliefs and actions accordingly.

And I'd like to pre-empt the ludicrous 'How about not doing the thing for which you're punished unequally because of your race!' as a defense for racism.

Racism aside, it just strikes me as moronic to go to these lengths to punish her. I mean, a 12 year old girl gets caught writing on a wall you give her some detention, warn her she will be suspended if it happens again, and send the janitor in there to paint the fkng wall ....not go after her struggling parents for 100$ and treat her like a fkng criminal ....just no common sense anymore.....

I don't know the full facts of the case, but it seems like a bit overreach by the school. That said, I have no problem with the $100 fine and I find it very hard to believe that the family couldnt come up with $100, even if it took months to repay, then again I don't know if there was an option to repay in installments.

Anecdotally, when I was in 5th grade, a couple friends of mine spray painted the wall outside the front of the school and were caught. They were suspended and made to repaint the wall, the whole wall, and did a ton of community service around the school as punishment. I have no idea if there were fines.

These are the life lessons one learns so as not to repeat them again. Hopefully her parents dished out some punishment as well. Also for her to say it's not fair after she perpetrated the act shows she needed to be taught a lesson. There are other ways the $100 could have been negotiated through the school and the girl and/or parents.

It's time we realized we need to instill discipline in our delicate little snowflakes before they melt, and before it leads to bigger problems further down the road.

Never mind that she was treated differently than the other student, right? No problem there!

Never mind that she was treated differently than the other student, right? No problem there!

you don't have enough information to make that claim or to claim racism without seeing the institutions's policies and procedures

I'm not saying it is or isn't because there isn't enough information there for anybody to make that claim. do I think it was excessive? yup. however, if it this is spelled out in their P&P then it isn't racism

you don't have enough information to make that claim or to claim racism without seeing the institutions's policies and procedures

I'm not saying it is or isn't because there isn't enough information there for anybody to make that claim. do I think it was excessive? yup. however, if it this is spelled out in their P&P then it isn't racism

huh

Agreed. Who knows what the context was.

Agreed. Who knows what the context was.

now if this was their policy, it needs to be rewritten. on the one hand, you can't let her go without any disciplinary measure while the other girl paid a fine but the punishment in lieu of the fine should be something in the same value range which isn't the case here

if this wasn't their policy, or their policy doesn't cover what happens if a fine cannot be paid and the decision was made arbitrarily, then we have a serious issue

this was sloppy journalism trying to piggy back off the legitimate racial issues currently going on because checking the P&P would have been a simple matter

Seems Iike more of an economic issue than necessarily a racial one. Both girls faced the same intial punishment (as far as I can tell) one girl's family could afford to pay the other couldn't. While it may or may not be the case there's nothing to indicate the situation would be any different if it were reversed. Agreed though that the girls punishment was pretty excessive. I'd have made her help the janitor repaint it or something then let it go. No reason to mark her permanent record especially when it's not her fault her parents can't or refuse to pay.

Well to me it's kind of hard to tell if she is being treated differently because she is black or she is being treated differently because she was unable to pay restitution.

You would think that as soon as the story became public....someone would step up and pay the restitution for her.

How is it racist when they were both offered the same punishment originally?

Whose to say that the white girls punishment would have been less if she couldn't pay up?

It's a pretty crappy setup but I don't see much prejudice.

don't have enough info to say there wasn't prejudice either

Bs no matter what. And it is bs they called the cops. Schools using the police for stupid stuff. Police aren't there to discipline students. Henry County needs new leadership in their school system. Both girls should have gotten detention and made to help the janitor paint the walls. Simple solution to a simple problem

Bs no matter what. And it is bs they called the cops. Schools using the police for stupid stuff. Police aren't there to discipline students. Henry County needs new leadership in their school system. Both girls should have gotten detention and made to help the janitor paint the walls. Simple solution to a simple problem

As far as I know, the police are always called in these situations. You can not demand restitution without involving the police and they could not fix the problem without spending money.

The other student's family paid the restitution. An argument about the disparity and unfairness of punishment based on economic factors would make more sense. I didn't see what you and apparently, this reporter did in the decision that makes it a clear example of institutional racism.

I do agree with the OP that this was handled poorly. The students should have been punished, but there are many forms of punishment that are not based on the ability of a student's parents to pay a fine.

Seems Iike more of an economic issue than necessarily a racial one. Both girls faced the same intial punishment (as far as I can tell) one girl's family could afford to pay the other couldn't. While it may or may not be the case there's nothing to indicate the situation would be any different if it were reversed. Agreed though that the girls punishment was pretty excessive. I'd have made her help the janitor repaint it or something then let it go. No reason to mark her permanent record especially when it's not her fault her parents can't or refuse to pay.

I agree completely

True story- a couple of buddies and I got in trouble for graffiti in elementary school. We thought it was funny to draw phalluses on desks, bathroom walls, and in textbooks (it totally was funny, BTW) and we all got caught by a teacher. I got detention for a couple days and had to scrub a couple desks. No fines or restitution, no suspension, no law enforcement or threat of criminal charges.

As far as I know, the police are always called in these situations. You can not demand restitution without involving the police and they could not fix the problem without spending money.

cops aren't always called in these situations. My school wouldn't have called the cops. They would have gave them detention and made them help the janitor. Proper leadership from the school would have solved this without involving the authorities

True story- a couple of buddies and I got in trouble for graffiti in elementary school. We thought it was funny to draw phalluses on desks, bathroom walls, and in textbooks (it totally was funny, BTW) and we all got caught by a teacher. I got detention for a couple days and had to scrub a couple desks. No fines or restitution, no suspension, no law enforcement or threat of criminal charges.

makes too much sense to do it like that

I had the cops called on me my senior year of high school.

I used to run a pool on the NCAA basketball in high school. The first three years of high school I was in Louisiana and nobody had a problem with it....**** I had teachers taking part.

My senior year I was living with my aunt in Alabama and I had no idea how strict they are with gambling in that state. One of the people in the pool got caught with their sheet and turned me in