Profootballfocus: Falcons: The Curious Case Of Paul Worrilow

atljbo

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/08/falcons-the-curious-case-of-paul-worrilow/

Falcons: The curious case of Paul Worrilow

A simple glance at our inside linebacker rankings will suggest that Paul Worrilow is struggling. His -16.2 overall grade puts him at 57th out of 60 ILBs, and his -9.5 coverage grade is 58th. Despite this, Worrilow has been a virtual ever-present on the Falcons defense. He’s only missed three snaps all season, and only missed 18 altogether since assuming the starting role as a rookie in Week 7 last year.

Worrilow’s greatest difficulties have come in coverage where he’s Atlanta’s second-most targeted defender, allowing 50 completions on 57 targets. The high completion rate is no surprise – Worrilow will often cover backs and tight ends on short, high-percentage routes.

The problem is when those catches start turning into big plays, and Worrilow has given up a fair share, including four touchdowns, a load of first downs and an average of 7.06 YAC. Tackling Efficiency has played a factor where he’s missing one tackle for 5.6 attempts—a rate that ranks near the bottom among his peers.

Worrilow’s stats look much better against the run, yet aren’t translating into a positive for his run defense grade (-5.7). It’s a good example of how our grading often provides a more complete picture than stats alone.

Worrilow is making a stop on 10.7% of his run defense snaps, the eighth-best mark among ILBs. His tackling is also much surer – missing only one tackle for every 22.0 attempts, good for seventh-best.

The vast majority of Worrilow’s stops, however, have been the “unblocked” variety and aren’t grading as high in our system as would defeating a blocker to make the play. Also, when he does find himself taking on blockers, especially at the second level, our analysts have determined he’s losing that battle much more often than he wins.

Perhaps Worrilow is miscast as an every-down linebacker where his coverage skills can be exposed. Instead he would be better suited as a run stuffer, particularly if the defensive line can keep him free from blockers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worrilow is a backup at best. Still can't shed a block, doesn't attack the ball carrier, and slow as molasses. Didn't we get rid of Lofton because he couldn't cover? I've watched this guy get out position constantly leaving the middle wide open.

No. We got rid of Lofton because he wanted to much money for a two down back, but I see what you mean. I like Worrilow but if he pulls the same cr@p then send him on his way. however he's got some time to improve till then.

The more and more I see this the more and more we need a QB for our defense.

For me this isn't knock on Worrilow or Spoon for that matter that ILBer/MLB position has to be the QB of the defense personally I just don't see it in either.

Spoon ideally is a WLBer and Worrilow is what he is as the article mentioned.

For me the fix is Patrick Willis if he sniffs FA he is a born leader and everyone that plays around him he makes better.Outside of this I just don't see alot of other options out there for us in the draft or on the roster.

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

He is a weakness on the defense no doubt. But when i'm filling holes this off-season then I'm getting a pass rusher and a lber to replace Bartu as a first priority and taking my chances Worrliow makes a leap in year 3 with the amount of experience he has. If we still have money/picks left though then by all means address this spot also.

Oh no, not "the most interesting linebacker in the world" gettin' crapped on. Granted, he's no **** Butkus ---- yet ---- but I like his heart, and his intensity, and I think those around him feed off that. Besides, who else are we gonna put at that position??? Bartu? Hahaha!!!
I'm sure they'll find the right spot for the young man, especially if we could get a veteran LB in here to tutor him a bit ---

Oh no, not "the most interesting linebacker in the world" gettin' crapped on. Granted, he's no **** Butkus ---- yet ---- but I like his heart, and his intensity, and I think those around him feed off that. Besides, who else are we gonna put at that position??? Bartu? Hahaha!!!

I'm sure they'll find the right spot for the young man, especially if we could get a veteran LB in here to tutor him a bit ---

another if