Mcclures Take On The Game

freebird310

Here are a few things to watch for as the 5-7 Atlanta Falcons face the 9-3 Packers at Lambeau Field on ESPN's "Monday Night Football":

9aed462de227ad966550b30b40ee17dc.jpeg

Warm Reception? Roddy White will be back in the lineup for the Falcons after recovering from a sprained left ankle, barring any last-minute setback during warm-ups. How effective he will be is the biggest question entering this game. White looked much better accelerating before Friday's practice than he did while catching passes on the side Thursday. That doesn't mean the Falcons will line him out wide and ask him to run longer routes. We might see more of Harry Douglas in that role, like Douglas was last week with White sidelined. But having White on the field, period, gives the Packers a little more to think about. Even not at full strength, White is capable of getting a key first down or being a primary target -- or decoy --in the red zone. And if Packers decide they need to man up with White back out there, then it will create more one-on-one looks for Julio Jones. Although White said his only doubt about the game had to do with what the weather conditions would be -- and it's already snowing in Green Bay Monday morning -- he did catch a team-high eight passes for 74 yards in those conditions at Lambeau exactly one year ago today.

Take your pick: The Falcons heard about the streak all week: how Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has attempted 360 consecutive passes at home without an interception, a streak which has lasted two years. The Falcons, on the other hand, have intercepted at least one pass in six consecutive games. They have also had multiple interceptions in four straight games, which is one shy of the longest such streak in franchise history, according to ESPN Statistics and Information. But Rodgers has just three interceptions this season. So can the Falcons end Rodgers' home streak? "I mean, why not? free safety Dwight Lowery said. "You're not going to get very many opportunities. If you do get the opportunity, you've got to catch it. But he's very efficient, obviously, and very accurate. It's going to be tough. Quarterbacks of his caliber don't come by often in the league."

Lacing them up: It was funny last week seeing Falcons safety William Moore playfully ask Steven Jackson in practice if he could bang helmets with him a few times, just so Moore could get a feel for what he's likely to see from Packers running back Eddie Lacy. For all the talk about what the Packers can do in the passing game, Lacy is capable of being a serious threat on the ground. He has become the team's workhouse with an average of 23 carries and 111.5 yards over the past two games. He's averaged 5.5 yards per carry over his past three contests. The Falcons are 20th in the NFL against the run in allowing 118.3 yards per game. In their road losses this season, the Falcons have surrendered 164.5 rushing yards per game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/10557/w2w4-falcons-vs-packers-2

If they move Roddy to the slot for a good bit of snaps I don't think Harry is going to run all of the routes on the outside. He may run some, but i am thinking it will be Drew Davis running most of them and Weems/Hester/HD sprinkling in as well.

Davis really came on as a receiver last year, I am hoping he can give our WR corps a little extra juice, I see he got a couple snaps on O last week, maybe they plan on usig him a bit more....

Davis really came on as a receiver last year, I am hoping he can give our WR corps a little extra juice, I see he got a couple snaps on O last week, maybe they plan on usig him a bit more....

For sure. He is a lot more physical after the catch than HD and even Roddy and in a game like this that could come in handy. I also prefer his size to a guy like HD. Not to mention, you know dang well that Green Bay won't have any knowledge or game planning for Davis. Dude has been inactive all year long. To win this game we are going to have to pull out all the stops.

Hopefully Koetter has been looking at old tape with routes that Davis had success with. The fudge packers won't have a clue whats coming.