Trading For Players: Julio Jones Vs Rg3, And The Future For The Two

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

Many people look critically on the Julio Jones trade(I, myself, am ambivalent); it's understandable, and many people will always be critical of it.

Meanwhile, the fans in Washington are singing a different tune. The Redskins gave up a much bigger haul for the future of their franchise. And the first year.. it seemed like it was worth it. But now? RG3 is riding the bench, and all 6 of the players the Rams got contributed in today's game.

Is trading for a big time player ever worth it? Is it not, putting all your eggs in one basket? Or are these big time players too big too fail? Perhaps, RG3 just needs a change of scenery to contribute. Maybe going to a team like.. ironically the Rams--who seem just a QB away to being contenders-- might fix his career.

Sorry if it's kind of jumbled, just some thoughts I had wanted to let out.

Imo, rg3 was overrated from the Getty up. The Colts should be extremely thankful he turned them down for a workout and went with luck. The Julio trade ended up working out better for the falcons than than it did the Browns so that's a win but it's possible they missed out on a few possible contributers in the process. Don't ask who because I don't do mocks :)

Imo, rg3 was overrated from the Getty up. The Colts should be extremely thankful he turned them down for a workout and went with luck. The Julio trade ended up working out better for the falcons than than it did the Browns so that's a win but it's possible they missed out on a few possible contributers in the process. Don't ask who because I don't do mocks smile.png

I never understood why the Jags didn't intentionally lose the last game of that season. If they lost, the Colts, who they were playing, would have been picking second, not first. That means no Luck to deal with for years. They were 4-11 in that game. Not like they were playing for anything.

Many people look critically on the Julio Jones trade(I, myself, am ambivalent); it's understandable, and many people will always be critical of it.

Meanwhile, the fans in Washington are singing a different tune. The Redskins gave up a much bigger haul for the future of their franchise. And the first year.. it seemed like it was worth it. But now? RG3 is riding the bench, and all 6 of the players the Rams got contributed in today's game.

Is trading for a big time player ever worth it? Is it not, putting all your eggs in one basket? Or are these big time players too big too fail? Perhaps, RG3 just needs a change of scenery to contribute. Maybe going to a team like.. ironically the Rams--who seem just a QB away to being contenders-- might fix his career.

Sorry if it's kind of jumbled, just some thoughts I had wanted to let out.

Washington for many years has made questionable trades and acquisitions. People here stupidly suggest that Blank is meddlesome and can't leave well enough alone. While Blank has dipped his foot in the water of football operations, Daniel Snyder has emerged his entire body in it many times, yet people really never criticize Snyder for it. The Redskins have gone without a franchise QB for many years now, but have obtained very high priced free agents that were either all hype (Albert Haynesworth), or at the end of their careers (Deion Sanders), and have even traded away some really good talent like Champ Bailey. The Redskins have gone through some coaches as well, three (Schottenheimer, Gibbs and Shannahan) of which were great at one time, yet none of them could do anything relevant since Snyder has been there. The Redskins, should have hired Andy Reid and given him full reign. Reed would have never given up so much to get RGIII, but would have taken someones cast off and turned him into a good QB, or trade bait for more picks. Instead they'll be looking for a new franchise QB and coach very soon again.

Washington for many years has made questionable trades and acquisitions. People here stupidly suggest that Blank is meddlesome and can't leave well enough alone. While Blank has dipped his foot in the water of football operations, Daniel Snyder has emerged his entire body in it many times, yet people really never criticize Snyder for it. The Redskins have gone without a franchise QB for many years now, but have obtained very high priced free agents that were either all hype (Albert Haynesworth), or at the end of their careers (Deion Sanders), and have even traded away some really good talent like Champ Bailey. The Redskins have gone through some coaches as well, three (Schottenheimer, Gibbs and Shannahan) of which were great at one time, yet none of them could do anything relevant since Snyder has been there. The Redskins, should have hired Andy Reid and given him full reign. Reed would have never given up so much to get RGIII, but would have taken someones cast off and turned him into a good QB, or trade bait for more picks. Instead they'll be looking for a new franchise QB and coach very soon again.

Very insightful post.

The Skins are a mess. The latest rumor is that Snyder and Allen are going to fire Gruden and hire someone who is willing to start RG3. If you are on your 3rd HC in 3 seasons because apparently no one can get along with your "franchise" quarterback, maybe it's not the coaches who are the problem.

The Redskins have gone without a franchise QB for many years now, but have obtained very high priced free agents that were either all hype (Albert Haynesworth).

No issue with your indictment of Snyder, but I will take issue with your mischaracterization of Haynesworth as "all hype." Haynesworth was a lazy, head-stomping psychopath, but in 2007-2008 he was so quick, strong, and violent, he was a game wrecker. Four things ended his career:

One, he was lazy

Two, Snyder gave him 100 million

Three, the Redskins moved him to NT, which he hated

Four, the Redskins culture was, perhaps, the worst situation imaginable for a player who was lazy, with 100 million, playing in a position he hated.

No issue with your indictment of Snyder, but I will take issue with your mischaracterization of Haynesworth as "all hype." Haynesworth was a lazy, head-stomping psychopath, but in 2007-2008 he was so quick, strong, and violent, he was a game wrecker. Four things ended his career:

One, he was lazy

Two, Snyder gave him 100 million

Three, the Redskins moved him to NT, which he hated

Four, the Redskins culture was, perhaps, the worst situation imaginable for a player who was lazy, with 100 million, playing in a position he hated.

I'll agree with you that Haynesworth was a force the year before he hit FA, but after leaving the Skins, he got cut by the Pats and the Bucs. This tells me that Haynesworth may have been the product of PED's or the other players around him when he was with the Titans made him better than he really was, because he went to the skins and his mean attitude, and skills were never seen again. He would then get cut by the Pats and the Bucs. If Belicheck couldn't get anything out of him, then he was never that good to begin with. Roid rage ay have been his partner in crime, and it would not have been the first time an athlete got a big contract only to wilt like a dying flower afterwards as a result of of steroids/HGH.

Edited by 4dabirds

I'll agree with you that Haynesworth was a force the year before he hit FA, but after leaving the Skins, he got cut by the Pats and the Bucs. This tells me that Haynesworth may have been the product of PED's or the other players around him when he was with the Titans made him better than he really was, because he went to the skins and his mean attitude, and skills were never seen again.

I think the Titan coaching could deal with him. Belicheck probably could have, too, if Albert didn't already have his money and wasn't already tired of playing football. The Bucs were just as dysfunctional as the Skins, that was doomed to fail.

Imo, rg3 was overrated from the Getty up. The Colts should be extremely thankful he turned them down for a workout and went with luck. The Julio trade ended up working out better for the falcons than than it did the Browns so that's a win but it's possible they missed out on a few possible contributers in the process. Don't ask who because I don't do mocks smile.png

Some combination of five of these players:

Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray, Richard Sherman, Muhammad Wilkerson, Randall Cobb, Alshon Jeffrey, Buster Skrine, Jabaal Sheard, Torrey Smith, Cameron Jordan, Kyle Rudolph, Kevin Zeitler, Julius Thomas, Brandon Boykin, Janoris Jenkins, Steven Ridley, Pernell McPhee, Denarious Moore, Josh Norman, Derek Wolfe, Miles Burris and more.

ok, so epic trolling...st. louis played washington today and when they went out for the coin toss they sent out all the players they got in the RG3 trade. wow

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/AFADF9EFEA1153438021178290176_38916d2d78c.1.1.3836938253198270653.mp4?versionId=F2jGIEj_kpgWuYIn9zkdznnOmMDP9Gl_

Edited by truth..

I never understood why the Jags didn't intentionally lose the last game of that season. If they lost, the Colts, who they were playing, would have been picking second, not first. That means no Luck to deal with for years. They were 4-11 in that game. Not like they were playing for anything.

Because despite what you may hear around here, NFL team's don't actually tank.

Some combination of five of these players:

Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray, Richard Sherman, Muhammad Wilkerson, Randall Cobb, Alshon Jeffrey, Buster Skrine, Jabaal Sheard, Torrey Smith, Cameron Jordan, Kyle Rudolph, Kevin Zeitler, Julius Thomas, Brandon Boykin, Janoris Jenkins, Steven Ridley, Pernell McPhee, Denarious Moore, Josh Norman, Derek Wolfe, Miles Burris and more.

You're a ******* idiot

I agree with your basic premise, except for the Snyder never getting criticized. The media that Snyder doesn't own have been after him. ****, Snyder sued the City Paper for anti-semitism for their criticisms. Ironic considering the controversial team name. I lived there for 7 years, he's pretty universally hated by the fanbase and the media. He's been using the Redskins name issue to get back some favor from the fanbase.

I agree that rg3 was overrated from the beginning, but I think Colts was going with Luck anyways.