We Have The 2Nd Best Coach 2Nd Deepest Team, And 2Nd Best Passing Team

you knock Doc for having unreal talent, but says Pop is a genius. Pop has won nothing without the greatest power foward of all time. And last year he had an mvp level PG. If you knock Doc for it you have to knock Pop too. Doc has to get big egos under control just like Phil had to. Coaching elite talent isn't easy. And what he has done with Blake has been impressive. He got Blake to develop a low post game and a mid range game. And the coaching job he did in 2008 with the Celtics was great too. He got 3 alpha males to put their ego aside to be a great team. Remember everyone was wondering how Paul, KG, Ray would respond to being on a team where they weren't the undisputed number 1 option. People forget a lot of people in the NBA thought that would be a failed experiment. Turned Rondo into a stud PG. Even got the Magic to the playoffs when he was a coach. Doc is a genius at being a leader of men. That isn't easy.

This is a coaching discussion. Not a leadership discussion. And it's not like I knocked him out of the top 5.

You cannot compare Docs talent to Pops. Sure Duncan was a number one pick. But he was an unproven rookie. Tony Parker and ginobli were nothing special. Leonard? Green? His system? Yeah it's not even close. Pop MADE that team. Docs been given most of his talent.

Docs a good leader, sure. But let's not act like being constantly given all Stars is a bad thing.

you knock Doc for having unreal talent, but says Pop is a genius. Pop has won nothing without the greatest power foward of all time. And last year he had an mvp level PG. If you knock Doc for it you have to knock Pop too. Doc has to get big egos under control just like Phil had to. Coaching elite talent isn't easy. And what he has done with Blake has been impressive. He got Blake to develop a low post game and a mid range game. And the coaching job he did in 2008 with the Celtics was great too. He got 3 alpha males to put their ego aside to be a great team. Remember everyone was wondering how Paul, KG, Ray would respond to being on a team where they weren't the undisputed number 1 option. People forget a lot of people in the NBA thought that would be a failed experiment. Turned Rondo into a stud PG. Even got the Magic to the playoffs when he was a coach. Doc is a genius at being a leader of men. That isn't easy.

So we acting brand new I take it? Guess we've forgotten just like Timmy D was #1 Blake Griffin was also #1 pick as well, and you got CP3 on the team right now come on bruh got to do better than that.

Pop made those guys they didn't make him, and nothing against Doc I wouldn't knock him from Top 10, but I feel like with what he's been given he can't be considered Top 5 that's just me.

In other news Moose fouled out last night, but had 13 pts and 6 boards +/- of 6 too.

I beg to differ... He is a hybrid SG/SF. We've used him as a combo! One game we use Thabo/Korver other games we use Korver/Caroll.

Korver is still the SG in those instants. Korver plays SF in spot minutes only when 2 of Teague/Shroeder/Mack is on the court Edited by jayu70

I beg to differ... He is a hybrid SG/SF. We've used him as a combo! One game we use Thabo/Korver other games we use Korver/Caroll.

And we've played Millsap at the 3. He isn't a SF/PF combo.

We've played Mack at the 2 but he's not a SG.

Korver night be a wing player but defensively he's not a SF. You are what you can guard.

Oh and the Thabo Carroll comment makes no sense. Those guys are SF. Of course Korver plays in a combo with then lol. He's a SG

This is a coaching discussion. Not a leadership discussion. And it's not like I knocked him out of the top 5.

You cannot compare Docs talent to Pops. Sure Duncan was a number one pick. But he was an unproven rookie. Tony Parker and ginobli were nothing special. Leonard? Green? His system? Yeah it's not even close. Pop MADE that team. Docs been given most of his talent.

Docs a good leader, sure. But let's not act like being constantly given all Stars is a bad thing.

and you have to lead to be a good coach. Those two go hand in hand. Look at what Doc has done with Blake Griffin and Rajon Rondo. Impressive. And Pop did absolutely nothing before Duncan got there. And he also had a top 50 greatest player of all time, David Robinson, when he won his first title in 1999. Everything you criticize Doc for you can with Pop. That's the truth

and you have to lead to be a good coach. Those two go hand in hand. Look at what Doc has done with Blake Griffin and Rajon Rondo. Impressive. And Pop did absolutely nothing before Duncan got there. And he also had a top 50 greatest player of all time, David Robinson, when he won his first title in 1999. Everything you criticize Doc for you can with Pop. That's the truth

Pop was there one year before Duncan lol. Hired in 96. Duncan taken in 97.

As for the leadership comment it's like a+b=c. Doc has a but b is questionable.

Rondo is impressive, but the dude still can't shoot worth a ****. He taught a long guy with good vision how to be a ball Hawk and see the floor? Wooo lol.

There is nothing in common between pop and doc. Other than a number one pick. Outside of that pop hasn't been given a single star. However, Rondo is the only NON star doc has been given.

And just one more thing. Pops team is ancient and is still winning lol.

Pop was there one year before Duncan lol. Hired in 96. Duncan taken in 97.

As for the leadership comment it's like a+b=c. Doc has a but b is questionable.

Rondo is impressive, but the dude still can't shoot worth a ****. He taught a long guy with good vision how to be a ball Hawk and see the floor? Wooo lol.

There is nothing in common between pop and doc. Other than a number one pick. Outside of that pop hasn't been given a single star. However, Rondo is the only NON star doc has been given.

And just one more thing. Pops team is ancient and is still winning lol.

Well Doc isn't there anymore to help Rondo. He taught him how to run an offense. Not easy. And the one year Pop didn't have Duncan his team was bad enough to get the number one pick. I think Pop is the best coach in the NBA. But Doc catches a lot of flack for the talent. People forget he was the head coach in Orlando and did a decent job there before getting fired

Well Doc isn't there anymore to help Rondo. He taught him how to run an offense. Not easy. And the one year Pop didn't have Duncan his team was bad enough to get the number one pick. I think Pop is the best coach in the NBA. But Doc catches a lot of flack for the talent. People forget he was the head coach in Orlando and did a decent job there before getting fired

Orlando was good but he also got canned for going 1-10 to start a season.

Then he was pretty awful in until the big three showed up. It's definitely just a mixed bag for him. He's more of a ego controller than a between the ears coach. Id still put him top 5, but behind the guys that can make **** work with nothing. And bud Because **** it I can lol

Then he was pretty awful in until the big three showed up. It's definitely just a mixed bag for him. He's more of a ego controller than a between the ears coach. Id still put him top 5, but behind the guys that can make **** work with nothing. And bud Because **** it I can lol

he was awful in Boston before the big 3. I will admit that

Bud is a tough case. I wanted to put him higher than 6 because we're winning with less than stellar players in most categories. Not even just that, he's pretty much experimenting with various lineups and it's working. It's truly remarkable and something very few coaches can successfully pull off (only other one I can think of off hand is Pop). Of course, the goal is to win championships and we have yet to make it past the first round in the playoffs.

All that being said, I would put Bud at #3 at least just because of sheer potential. I'd bump up Randy Whitman too because of what he was able to accomplish so far since he took over the Wizards HC job midseason in 2012 (it seems as though ex-Hawk players make good coaches).

Paul Millsap became an All-star his first year with Bud.

Teague is turning into an All-star caliber player under Bud.

DMC (former first round pick), Mike Scott, and Shroeder are developing nicely in Bud's system. Hopefully others (like Muscala and Edy Tavares) will too.

Edited by JerseyNo12

Bud is a tough case. I wanted to put him higher than 6 because we're winning with less than stellar players in most categories. Not even just that, he's pretty much experimenting with various lineups and it's working. It's truly remarkable and something very few coaches can successfully pull off (only other one I can think of off hand is Pop). Of course, the goal is to win championships and we have yet to make it past the first round in the playoffs.

All that being said, I would put Bud at #3 at least just because of sheer potential.

Paul Millsap became an All-star his first year with Bud.

Teague is turning into an All-star caliber player under Bud.

Carroll (former first round pick), Mike Scott, and Shroeder are developing nicely in Bud's system.

Bud deserves a spot from 3-6. A case can be made for any of those slots. Im a hawks fan, and hes my coach, so regardless of what anyone says Im giving him every benefit of the doubt. Hes only a two year HC and thats certainly a knock. But the things he does are just not seen much around the league.

On top of the things you mentioned, Im giving him credit for being perhaps the best player development coach in the league. Hes responsible for a lot of the talent on the Spurs and just look at what he has done with the Hawks. Korver was a bench shooter. Now he can play defense(somewhat). Carroll was nothing but energy but now he has a tremendous fundamental stroke and can handle the ball. Millsap was a talented player but Bud polished him completely into a top 10 PF. Teague was teague, and Bud has polished him as well. Last but not least we have Dennis. Dennis was garbage when he came here. He was all talent and no discipline or skill. He had no shot. He was wild. Bud fixed both of those things. Honestly, if you gave bud Josh Smith, he could probably make him a great player. Thats how good I think he is. The fact that he can take someone with a broken shot and turn them into a 40-50% jump shooter is just amazing.

Bud deserves a spot from 3-6. A case can be made for any of those slots. Im a hawks fan, and hes my coach, so regardless of what anyone says Im giving him every benefit of the doubt. Hes only a two year HC and thats certainly a knock. But the things he does are just not seen much around the league.

On top of the things you mentioned, Im giving him credit for being perhaps the best player development coach in the league. Hes responsible for a lot of the talent on the Spurs and just look at what he has done with the Hawks. Korver was a bench shooter. Now he can play defense(somewhat). Carroll was nothing but energy but now he has a tremendous fundamental stroke and can handle the ball. Millsap was a talented player but Bud polished him completely into a top 10 PF. Teague was teague, and Bud has polished him as well. Last but not least we have Dennis. Dennis was garbage when he came here. He was all talent and no discipline or skill. He had no shot. He was wild. Bud fixed both of those things. Honestly, if you gave bud Josh Smith, he could probably make him a great player. Thats how good I think he is. The fact that he can take someone with a broken shot and turn them into a 40-50% jump shooter is just amazing.

I feel like he could take almost any player and turn him into at least a solid role player.

Edited by JerseyNo12

I feel like he could take almost any player and turn him into at least a solid role player.

Except Thabo. But even I can tell his shot mechanics just arent good. It probably has something to do with his long *** arms. Its too flat. Or at least thats what I remember. I cant find any tape of his time here. In OKC when he was shooting well he had more of an up and through motion. It was fluid and created arc. Ill have to watch him again, but I dont remember him doing that here.

Difference is Dennis is a 2nd year player and WANTS to learn. Josh just seems too stubborn. Bud requires his players to buy in that's why it's working so well. Edited by jayu70
Guest Homer the Brave

I just never saw anything super special from doc outside of the talent level. Yes pop has had unreal talent, but he's also a genius.

Doc has never won anything without a top PG, a top 5 forward, and one of the best defenders in the game.

His talent is the kind of talent that you HAVE to win with. Doesn't look like the clippers will ever win though imo

I think Pop help make good talent great. Parker and Ginobili are not the players we know them as without the Pop system.

• 4 weeks later...