Good O Line Article By Scar

freebird310

I like the starting 5 we have right now. I think it's hard to judge their capabilities at this point given that all of them are not playing yet to their potential. Stone and Schraeder were scrubs just a month ago, and Matthews ankle has been injured. But, as a fun fact, Schraeder got the highest PFF score of any of our linemen in any game so far this season, and that was against Arizona. Matthews is playing much better than his Giants/Bears days. And Stone is still a little shaking, but he's come along.

Plus the fact that this group has had the obvious advantage of being able to work together for the last month. I'm going to cry when one of them gets injured (which seems to inevitably happen).

Oh and one more thing. That group probably has been getting a huge morale boost too since they've actually been playing semi-decent. If these guys could take it to the next level, Ryan could ball out like an elite qb.

Edited by likeriver

Scott needs to write more articles. In Many ways he's the best writer the Falcons have and even when he goes a little "out there" with things like his Jimmy Graham Mock, it's still a fun and interesting read.

Love our current Oline. If they can keep winning and building confidence who knows what could happen.

This is one of Scars better reads, he did a pretty good job here comparing various configurations of the O line as the season progressed and he included some detailed charts .....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2285466-atlanta-falcons-retooled-offensive-line-will-help-them-win-the-division

I think the best point the article made was that Mike Tice was a very solid hire and he should be on staff next season no matter what.

Its a decent article.

I get confused when people talk about talent upfront as for the most part being individually good counts for little if the guy next to you up front isn't on the same page.

O-line play more so than any group is as only as good as its weakest component.

True but what I've seen over the last few years is you can get away with one guy being subpar by doing different things schematically.

It's when you have multiple guys.... That's when you being to have serious problems. You can hide one guy but you can't hide any more than that.

Didn't read but this Oline we have right now isn't going to be sustainable for the future. We need a RT,LG and maybe a Center however I like what I've seen of Stone thus far

Why not? The Great Wall of Dallas was made up of the same type of outcasts and throwaways. The main thing with a line is gelling. If you keep throwing new guys in the lineup you slow the gelling process down. I like Schraeder and I like Stone. Draft a replacement for Blalock but keep Blalock for one more year. Lineman can play older.

just some food for thought....

our Oline is currently rated better than Green Bay's,(NFL.com), though close... (not to say theyre spectacular) BUT they are not a subject of much malign so nor should our Oline be. Which speaks VOLUMES to Tice's work with our depleted line.

Also last year a fully healthy Clay Matthews was pretty much stoned all game by Lamar Holmes on the blind side. Clay had a total of 2.5 tackles that game virtually a non factor, we have since upgraded that position.

if we play with fight (which im sure we will), sustain drives, and our DEFENSE can step up for 60 MIN...this will be a very intriguing game coming up, cant wait..

just some food for thought....

our Oline is currently rated better than Green Bay's,(NFL.com), though close... (not to say theyre spectacular) BUT they are not a subject of much malign so nor should our Oline be. Which speaks VOLUMES to Tice's work with our depleted line.

Yeah, it really highlights just how poor our O line coaching last year must have been. And you have to ask, how could it have gotten that bad? I'm afraid the blame for that belongs to Smitty. His job is to know whether or not his coaches are doing the job, and he blew it in that case.