Quick Thought

There isn't one way to play football. It is played on many different levels and done based on effective preparation. I personally like to look at talent and figure out how to get the most out of what you have.

The run game, pass game, TE game, or whatever. they are all important. If you think its best to rush the passer and rack up sacks, or get in the passer's face and get the INT....that's your business.

I think its crazy talk to say any position is better in a lower round of draft, history will not back that up. the best players (sometimes overrated or misused) will be in the first three rounds. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds all go together. those are starter rounds. The rest are back-up/depth rounds. Sometimes you find what is called a "gem" who can start.

Regardless of preference, you need to keep that in mind. The crazy talk is crazy. Sometimes years will go by when there isn't viable talent at a position to take anyone in the first. Maybe a system hurts a player's value. Thing is, its up to the scouting department what is best for the team.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no issue with what you just said and I'm also not gonna pretend I know **** about talent coming out of college. My problem is people saying that you can ONLY get an impact or "elite" player in the first round and that's not true imo. Again I don't know as much as some of you guys but there is no way that you can tell me(well you can but still lol) that in the right system a 4th round rb or WR can't be just as good as a first rounder or someone with a first round grade. I do like to learn so I'm willing to read anything suggesting otherwise

Well KOG, this post is a tad obtuse, but I think you are saying that the mantra of " you absolutely do not draft a RB in the first round " is BS, and if that is what you are saying I agree 100% ....half the mofos here in the TATF realm would not draft Jim Brown or the ghost of Red Grange in the first round because they can hit on those guys in the 4th LMFAO .....

I have no issue with what you just said and I'm also not gonna pretend I know **** about talent coming out of college. My problem is people saying that you can ONLY get an impact or "elite" player in the first round and that's not true imo. Again I don't know as much as some of you guys but there is no way that you can tell me(well you can but still lol) that in the right system a 4th round rb or WR can't be just as good as a first rounder or someone with a first round grade.

That's a great point in the right direction. Scheme and philosophy makes the difference.

Well KOG, this post is a tad obtuse, but I think you are saying that the mantra of " you absolutely do not draft a RB in the first round " is BS, and if that is what you are saying I agree 100% ....half the mofos here in the TATF realm would not draft Jim Brown or the ghost of Red Grange in the first round because they can hit on those guys in the 4th LMFAO .....

Every year there is some wahoo that thinks a position is stupid to get in the first. One year it was pass rush, another year it was RT, years ago it was WR, this year it is RB. Its not position so much. i mean you don't get a LS, K, or P in the first okay...but to say some of the things I hear on here are silly.

That's a great point in the right direction. Scheme and philosophy makes the difference.

I said that to MSalmon this morning and I was basically told talent>>>>>scheme. Load of bologna to me. There is a reason Alfred Morris has been dominant from day 1 of his career. Not saying he isn't talented but that blocking scheme has been a tremendous asset to his career.

Anytime a few years go by where a certain position (due to dropped talent levels) doesn't get drafted in the first, everybody thinks suddenly they're not worth drafting in the first. They don't correlate talent to round very well for some reason. I agree with you KoG, if the talent is there, it's there. You can't wait until the next round to pick a great player just because they play a certain position, whatever it may be (Kickers and punters non-withstanding).

I said that to MSalmon this morning and I was basically told talent>>>>>scheme. Load of bologna to me. There is a reason Alfred Morris has been dominant from day 1 of his career. Not saying he isn't talented but that blocking scheme has been a tremendous asset to his career.

Well, that is horse before the cart...chicken or the egg right there. You can find a "gem" but that would be a "gem" not the norm. Talent can be better than scheme if you may change the scheme....scheme can be better than talent if you have the scheme for it. Still even with a scheme, if you don't have talent you can start burning through players a lot.

Anytime a few years go by where a certain position (due to dropped talent levels) doesn't get drafted in the first, everybody thinks suddenly they're not worth drafting in the first. They don't correlate talent to round very well for some reason. I agree with you KoG, if the talent is there, it's there. You can't wait until the next round to pick a great player just because they play a certain position, whatever it may be (Kickers and punters non-withstanding).

That's the whole point. I remember when the WR talent wasn't there at one point. TE's were said to be going extinct. Back when I started watching you could barely find a FB in the pro's. I wouldn't take a FB in the first though. But then first round FB's are listed at HB's.

There isn't one way to play football. It is played on many different levels and done based on effective preparation. I personally like to look at talent and figure out how to get the most out of what you have.

The run game, pass game, TE game, or whatever. they are all important. If you think its best to rush the passer and rack up sacks, or get in the passer's face and get the INT....that's your business.

I think its crazy talk to say any position is better in a lower round of draft, history will not back that up. the best players (sometimes overrated or misused) will be in the first three rounds. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds all go together. those are starter rounds. The rest are back-up/depth rounds. Sometimes you find what is called a "gem" who can start.

Regardless of preference, you need to keep that in mind. The crazy talk is crazy. Sometimes years will go by when there isn't viable talent at a position to take anyone in the first. Maybe a system hurts a player's value. Thing is, its up to the scouting department what is best for the team.

Great post!

Well, that is horse before the cart...chicken or the egg right there. You can find a "gem" but that would be a "gem" not the norm. Talent can be better than scheme if you may change the scheme....scheme can be better than talent if you have the scheme for it. Still even with a scheme, if you don't have talent you can start burning through players a lot.

outside of the fact that he can't cover, what do you think about worrilow. Decent talent or product of bad defense. If you have gave your opinion before, my apologies. I don't click on most threads with his name in the title because they are mostly flame threads.

You're kinda misquoting me lol...I believe a great talent with a great scheme is the ultimate goal. Yeah you're boy duke can fit a scheme and be good, but I believe Gordon transcends just a certain scheme. Gurley as well.. They just are tgat good of players imo ...

You're kinda misquoting me lol...I believe a great talent with a great scheme is the ultimate goal. Yeah you're boy duke can fit a scheme and be good, but I believe Gordon transcends just a certain scheme. Gurley as well.. They just are tgat good of players imo ...

hey, it was 6 am this morning. I can't remember word for word when I'm sleepy. Bite me lol. I agree with ya though, just like to take the serious posting approach sometimes and have a respectful debate

outside of the fact that he can't cover, what do you think about worrilow. Decent talent or product of bad defense. If you have gave your opinion before, my apologies. I don't click on most threads with his name in the title because they are mostly flame threads.

Worrilow is actually a LB who needs a simple scheme and simple direction. If he were on any other team, we'd be yelling about how TD didn't notice his talent. Glad he's here.

LOL, KOG I know you, you want Gurley bad don't you bro ? ....man I do too, thing is though me scade now....sad.png ....damm shame he tore that ACL, I want another Turner or a Lynch to make this offense complete, the Sjax experiment failed.

A premier power back with home run ability is the one thing that puts this offense over the top IMO, he is the exact RB we need, but I fret now about the wear and tear on him. If he was there at 2nd pick would pull it in a heartbeat, if not for this latest injury I would not have hesitated to snatch him with the first but now me scade .....

We have been playing better of late. If the self evaluation/corrections continue we may be the next team that squeaks into the playoffs and then rolls to the super bowl. We owe GB one for being the buzz saw we ran into a while back. I think Mike Tice has coached his butt off with this OL this year and I hope he stays with us in that capacity for a while. I do not consider him as viable a HC candidate as I do a OL coach. I think he is a great OL coach if he is content, and Im glad he is ours. Maybe Smith and Nolan get the smoke and mirrors out of this defense they have in the past and Koetter gets the right run pass ratio rolling.

LOL, KOG I know you, you want Gurley bad don't you bro ? ....man I do too, thing is though me scade now....sad.png ....damm shame he tore that ACL, I want another Turner or a Lynch to make this offense complete, the Sjax experiment failed.

A premier power back with home run ability is the one thing that puts this offense over the top IMO, he is the exact RB we need, but I fret now about the wear and tear on him. If he was there at 2nd pick would pull it in a heartbeat, if not for this latest injury I would not have hesitated to snatch him with the first but now me scade .....

Kind of over Gurley bro. I don't like those types of injuries and he struggled with being hurt (not injured) for the past two years. I would go with a guy in the 2-4th rounds now. Wold not turn up my nose at Gordon though.

I don't to even think this team is really that far off. The secondary is pretty much set. We could use a better pass rushing de/olb, use some of the hidden players on the team and we may actually be surprised by the results. Do away with all the fancy **** and just play football.

Secondary including Lowery should all be back next year I hope, keep em all together is big potential.....get 2-3 more upgrades on front 7 .....a viable power back, a seam splitting TE and one more badazz guard or RT .....