Trading Justin In Nuts

MAD597

Why on Earth would we trade the only decent FA we've signed in a long time? His Average is decent and he is actually performing like expected.

Why can;t our corporate lame *** owners just pony up and keep some decent players here?

BJ should be gone and Uggla was a correct cut.

Heyword was borderline but at least we got some pitching for him.

But Justin needs to stay.

He's going to cost more than a pretty penny in an extension and they only have a year left of control of him. If no team ultimately bites on a high price trade they can negotiate with him to see if they can get him for a reasonable extension, if not they can slap a QO on him to get an extra 1st round pick in 2016. Personally I'd prefer to replenish the farm system ASAP and he's our best bargaining chip to help that along.

Also, BJ isn't going anywhere. None of us like that but no team is going to trade for him.

I remember signing Justin as a free agent, adding him to a line-up that included Martin Prado... talk about a great right-handed duo! Now one is gone and the corporate lame *** ownersTM want to send Justin out too.

Why don't they even try to trade BJ Upton?

Why on Earth would we trade the only decent FA we've signed in a long time? His Average is decent and he is actually performing like expected.

Why can;t our corporate lame *** owners just pony up and keep some decent players here?

BJ should be gone and Uggla was a correct cut.

Heyword was borderline but at least we got some pitching for him.

But Justin needs to stay.

IS*

Justin was traded for*

Heyward*

But yes, trading Justin IS nuts.

Why can't we just pay him alot to stay here and hit 30hr's and 100rbi's a year? Doesn't pretty much every team need a young good outfielder that hits like he does?

Because:

1. Baseball is a business.

2. Businesses run under a budget.

3. The Braves have a budget this season of @$111 million, which is around the middle of the pack of major league budgets. Liberty Media, the owners of the Braves, have a generally hands-off approach to the team, with a simple stipulation not to spend more than they make. Which is, IMO, fair.

4. In addition to needing one outfielder, the Braves need to spend money on 24 other guys to field a team. All of those guys together cannot make more than @$111 million

5. Justin Upton, when he becomes a free agent, could likely command a salary in annual average value of @$25 million

6. If the Braves agree to play Upton that much, that would leave only $86 million for the other 24 guys. Of that, some money is already committed to playing Freddie Freeman, Craig Kimbrel, Julio Teheran, Chris Johnson, and (unfortunately) BJ Upton. All contracts in baseball are guaranteed, so we pay them no matter if we play them or cut them. This season, we will still pay Dan Uggla over $13 million, for example.

7. If the Braves determine that they cannot sign Justin Upton, their better option is to trade him for young, team controllable players now while his value is high. Otherwise, they may be left with nothing, other than maybe a compensatory draft pick.

I hope this answers your question. Personally, I would love it if JUp signs an extension with the Braves, but I don't believe it to be likely.

Edited by K26dp

It just sounds to me like we are going to tread water enough to be barely be competitive and any time we have a player break through we're going to get rid of them instead of pay them.

At some point you actually have to pay good players to stay on your team and help you win a world series.

I completely agree with getting rid of Heyward, Uggla, BJ Upton for whatever we could grab

But talks of getting rid of J Upton and Gattis are seriously stupid, We might as well start shopping Freeman around to. Heck trade the entire team and get alot of young players then ship them away as they are peaking just to repeat the process. Almost sounds like we are a minor league team to other MLB teams where the owner gave a reasonable budget. The luxury tax doesn't kick in till around 180 Million we should have some more wiggle room to keep good players.

Their is no real hard salary cap in MLB so it boils down to our owners being to cheap to sustain star players in our system.

Edited by MAD597

It just sounds to me like we are going to tread water enough to be barely be competitive and any time we have a player break through we're going to get rid of them instead of pay them.

At some point you actually have to pay good players to stay on your team and help you win a world series.

I completely agree with getting rid of Heyward, Uggla, BJ Upton for whatever we could grab

But talks of getting rid of J Upton and Gattis are seriously stupid, We might as well start shopping Freeman around to. Heck trade the entire team and get alot of young players then ship them away as they are peaking just to repeat the process. Almost sounds like we are a minor league team to other MLB teams where the owner gave a reasonable budget. The luxury tax doesn't kick in till around 180 Million we should have some more wiggle room to keep good players.

Their is no real hard salary cap in MLB so it boils down to our owners being to cheap to sustain star players in our system.

Cheap? Meh. Like K said, they spend what they make.

This is like saying if some random garage tech company spent as much as Apple they could succeed. Well yes, but it doesnt work like that. Braves don't have money to just throw around.

The Braves committed over $260 million to keep Freddie Freeman (8 years), Craig Kimbrel (4 years), Andrelton Simmons (7 years), and Julio Teheran (6 years). They aren't the Yankees, they can't sign everyone. This is the Braves. If you can't understand that, I suggest pulling for the Yankees or some other big market team.

The Braves committed over $260 million to keep Freddie Freeman (8 years), Craig Kimbrel (4 years), Andrelton Simmons (7 years), and Julio Teheran (6 years). They aren't the Yankees, they can't sign everyone. This is the Braves. If you can't understand that, I suggest pulling for the Yankees or some other big market team.

That money will be completely wasted if we fill up the rest of the roster with cheap garbage. That is only 4 players and Justin has certainly earned a paycheck. So why can't it be the Braves to give it to him?

What is the point of shoring up 4 players with high contracts if it means surrounding them with a bargain basement team and shipping off any players that actually play well?

You dont have to have high paid superstars at every position to win. Id just like to see a team with solid pitching and defense paired with a lineup full of scrappy guys who dont strikeout.

Yea but every once in a blue moon when a FA actually performs like you expected and is a good young player at a position of need it is probably a good idea to try and keep them than ship them off and fill their shoes with low pay yearly rentals.

Honestly how many FA's have we signed in the last 5 years that actually earned another contract with us? Justin is definitely in that category.

Edited by MAD597

What is the point of signing up 5 players and surrounding them with subpar minor league talent because you can't afford anything better?

Sounds like our ownership just wants to keep a few names around to sell tickets and hope they are competitive enough to not embarrass the name. That rarely ever works.

That money will be completely wasted if we fill up the rest of the roster with cheap garbage.

You seem to be conflating salary with quality. This is a mistake. You also don't seem to grasp the realities of professional baseball.

Yea but every once in a blue moon when a FA actually performs like you expected and is a good young player at a position of need it is probably a good idea to try and keep them than ship them off and fill their shoes with low pay yearly rentals.

Honestly how many FA's have we signed int he last 5 years that actually earned another contract with us? Justin is definitely in that category.

If you acknowledge that free agency is generally a poor way to construct a team, why are you advocating the signing of another free agent? Note, you keep saying that we signed Justin Upton. We didn't. We traded for him. The money we are paying him now is from a contract he signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks when he was still under team control.

Sounds like our ownership just wants to keep a few names around to sell tickets and hope they are competitive enough to not embarrass the name. That rarely ever works.

Who is "our ownership"? Are you owned by someone? If you mean the Braves, the Braves ownership doesn't make those types of decisions. You probably are referring to the Braves front office, who does have a vested interest in winning games and championships. So while I may not agree with all of their decisions, I think your premise here is incorrect.

Uhh yea so if you are all for having 4 named players and then a roster full of minor leaguers or low paid vets then good for you.

I have seen first hand how this yearly rental process works with young and peak players and it's an easy way to just be competitive enough to remain interesting but never really get over the hump.

We've all seen this process over the last 20 years and it seems they want to continue this.

Uhh yea so if you are all for having 4 named players and then a roster full of minor leaguers or low paid vets then good for you.

I have seen first hand how this yearly rental process works with young and peak players and it's an easy way to just be competitive enough to remain interesting but never really get over the hump.

We've all seen this process over the last 20 years and it seems they want to continue this.

You do realize that every "named player" was once a "named minor league player" first, then a "named low paid vet", right?

This is the Braves business model (one also shared by every major league club not named the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers):

1. Invest in the minor league system to produce good, cost-controlled players.

2. Supplement this home-grown talent with savvy trades, value-based free agents, and the occasional star free agent to fill a gap.

3. After four years, attempt to sign the best of those home-grown players to below-market contract extensions to create value for the team and certainty for the players.

4. Trade the players that won't sign or the team chooses not to retain for prospects to fill in gaps in the minor league system.

5. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Players don't just grow on trees, and you can't just buy them at the Qwik-E-Mart.

Edited by K26dp