William Andrews

Falconsfan567

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Guest Homer the Brave

Best Falcon ever. Perhaps Deion a distant second. You need a calculator to count all the impressive runs he made. Great blocker, great pass catcher. Bart would throw the safety screen to him, and defenses would shake in their boots seeing him in the open field.

I added another game to my collection. This is the game that William Andrews runs over Ronnie Lott.

At 58:33 into the video, is where Andrews goes off. Enjoy!

Thank you, Hawkaida, for finding this gem of a clip. I remember that game. Cossell can be heard in the background saying something to the effect of "that was the finest example of power running."

Ronnie Lott was interviewed years later. He was asked: what was the biggest hit you can remember? Ronnie didn't bat an eye and he mentioned that play right there.

William Andrews was the greatest running back in Atlanta Falcons history. His career was shortened by a devastating knee injury, but while he played, he was the greatest. Had he played for another three seasons, he would have been mentioned among the greatest in modern history. Yes, he was that good.

Every time I hear or read a mention of William Andrews, I just shake my head at what could have been.

Best Falcon ever. Perhaps Deion a distant second. You need a calculator to count all the impressive runs he made. Great blocker, great pass catcher. Bart would throw the safety screen to him, and defenses would shake in their boots seeing him in the open field.

I would put Deion a notch above Andrews, but there is no doubt in my mind that WA was, by far, the greatst Falcon RB.

He didn't just have power, he was also quick, a solid blocker and was a good receiver. Man, that dude was amazing.

We had one of the top 5 best running backs in history and nobody even.knows it.

His career was horribly shortened, but he certainly had the potential to crack the top fifteen RB's in NFL history. As it were, there are a heck of a lot of RB's that are above him:

Jim Brown

OJ Simpson

Marcus Allen

Adrian Peterson

Earl Campbell

Barry Sanders

Walter Payton

Gale Sayers

Eric Dickerson

Tony Dorsett

Of all these guys, William Andrews was most like Walter Payton (IMHO).

I wish I would have been able to see this man play. All the highlights I've ever seen of this guy has been insane.

i saw him play. the BEST runningback in the league when he played. a lock hall of famer had he not gotten hurt in practice. imagine a slower version of herschel walker, with possibly more power, and thats william andrews:

andrewslott.gif

Andrews-Falcons.jpg

Edited by atlbenz

Guest Homer the Brave

If he would have played when the doctors were better with knees, this guy wo i ld be in the HOF.

Very true. He missed two full years then tried to come back in '86, but was never the same.

His career was horribly shortened, but he certainly had the potential to crack the top fifteen RB's in NFL history. As it were, there are a heck of a lot of RB's that are above him:

Jim Brown

OJ Simpson

Marcus Allen

Adrian Peterson

Earl Campbell

Barry Sanders

Walter Payton

Gale Sayers

Eric Dickerson

Tony Dorsett

Of course there was a bit of hyperbole on my part, however not too much. If u compare his five year stretch to Gale Sayers it is pretty eye opening.

Guest Homer the Brave

I would put Deion a notch above Andrews, but there is no doubt in my mind that WA was, by far, the greatst Falcon RB.He didn't just have power, he was also quick, a solid blocker and was a good receiver. Man, that dude was amazing.

What was amazing is that he was a FULLBACK!

He was the original 1st team RB on John Madden's All-madden team. Before he was known for worshipping Brett Farve, he used to gush all over Andrews. He used to say "all he shows you is a helmet, shoulder pads, and knees."

Jim Brown

OJ Simpson

Marcus Allen

Adrian Peterson

Earl Campbell

Barry Sanders

Walter Payton

Gale Sayers

Eric Dickerson

Tony Dorsett

I'd like to add someone to this list that is much more like him, and also suffered a shortened career...

Bo Jackson. (Also from Auburn).

However, of your list, I tend to agree he was most like Walter, with quite a bit of Earl in him too.

LOL how many roughing the passer penalties would have been called on the first drive alone if this game were played with todays rules?

Also, until they mentioned it about halfway through the first quarter, I didn't realize the 'Lott trucked' game was the next game after the Stevie Wilson trucked for a TD game.........man I miss ole #31, wish we could find another one like him

Of course there was a bit of hyperbole on my part, however not too much. If u compare his five year stretch to Gale Sayers it is pretty eye opening.

Oh, don't get me wrong. He was amazing and had he remained healthy, he would have been mentioned in the same breath as the names I listed.

I'd like to add someone to this list that is much more like him, and also suffered a shortened career...

Bo Jackson. (Also from Auburn).

However, of your list, I tend to agree he was most like Walter, with quite a bit of Earl in him too.

I should not have omitted Bo.