Misconception About Mike Smith

trashmetalx

Something that I feel is a misconception regarding Mike Smith is that he is conservative. This is absolutely NOT true. A conservative coach would not go for multiple 4th downs earmy in a playoff game.

So, if he's not conservative, then he must be aggressive right? Nope. And there is the problem. Mike Smith has NO coaching identity. He is not a players coach, but he's not a disciplinarian. He's not aggressive/throat stopping, but he's not conservative either.

Smittyball is NOT about running the football and playing BDB defense. It's about making the wrong decisions and the wrong time. The 3rd and 2 deep pass call was not conservative... even though the situation called for a conservative playcall.

Something that I feel is a misconception regarding Mike Smith is that he is conservative. This is absolutely NOT true. A conservative coach would not go for multiple 4th downs earmy in a playoff game.

So, if he's not conservative, then he must be aggressive right? Nope. And there is the problem. Mike Smith has NO coaching identity. He is not a players coach, but he's not a disciplinarian. He's not aggressive/throat stopping, but he's not conservative either.

Smittyball is NOT about running the football and playing BDB defense. It's about making the wrong decisions and the wrong time. The 3rd and 2 deep pass call was not conservative... even though the situation called for a conservative playcall.

So what's your point? Aren't you still echoing the same general sentiment that Mike Smith is a subpar game manager who consistenly makes ill-advised decisions?

As others have said, He is conservative. He's an old school, run the ball, BBDB, coach. He is also, however, bad under pressure. He gets nervous, and when he gets nervous, he makes mistakes. He's making a lot more mistakes this season, b/c he's on thin ice, and he knows it.

No. The biggest misconception of MS is actually believing that he's a HC.

He plays not to lose instead of playing smart. Stupid is as stupid does.

He's a good defensive coordinator and seems to be a really good guy.

Was he? Because it hasn't shown a lick here. Meanwhile, Del Rio is rocking and rolling in Denver.

Being a good guy doesn't produce results.

The problem with the "good DC" argument is that this defense has been mediocre since he got here and if you want to make the "talent" argument, then you have to also point to how the players added before Nolan never made any sense. Was our HC too soft to stand up to his GM? No, our HC has no clue how to spot talent.

I've always asked around here "What is Smitty even good at?".

I really didn't understand why he got the job. It was really strange for me. I had barely ever heard of the guy and all of a sudden he gets a head coaching job.

Granted we have had success under him, and I am grateful for that. But I don't believe he is a great coach at anything

Was he? Because it hasn't shown a lick here. Meanwhile, Del Rio is rocking and rolling in Denver.

The problem with the "good DC" argument is that this defense has been mediocre since he got here and if you want to make the "talent" argument, then you have to also point to how the players added before Nolan never made any sense. Was our HC too soft to stand up to his GM? No, our HC has no clue how to spot talent.

Smith problem is half of his 1st rounders have been hurt. PJ, Baker, and Spoon have been injuries prone, and Matthew hasn't been healthy either. Still, even when healthy they aren't that good either.

Just trying to give a good dude a break real fast man.

I don't think we are all that better, if we continue to roll with TD either.

I disagree.

Going for a few 4th down plays out of desparation, doesn't make someone an aggressive HC, especially when their own gutless, risk averse approach put them in that situation in the first place.

A less conservative coach would have run 3rd down plays that went beyond the chains and wouldn't have consistently found himself on 4th down. Our gameplan that day was the most gutless I have ever seen. We kept coming up short because we kept taking what they gave us, and refused to challenge the weak spots in their cover 2 coverage - and it wasn't the first time that we played scared of the cover 2. We didn't challenge them in the mid or deep passing game even when 2-3 scores down against a weak secondary and when injuries forced them to play a rookie CB who looked like a deer on the headlights.

Smith should have been fired after that game, for signing off on the offensive gameplan. We essentially forfeited the game when we came up with it on the Monday before the game.