My Black Friday

The Shotfather

Emboldened with the confidence of my Facebook feed, I set forth upon the world to buy a new TV. Everywhere I looked on Facebook, I was bombarded with "50-inch 1080p TVs for 200.00 (Some were 218.00, and some were 235.00).

It took no longer than 5 minutes into each store that I realized I was a part of a sick game. These mythological TV's did not exist. I knocked out 3 Wal-Marts, an H.H. Gregg, and a closing K-Mart in about 2 hours. No such beast existed.

Afterwards, I decided on the local Best Buy, and 2 more Wal-Marts that were about 30 minutes out of my way.

At the end of my Black Friday, which totaled 4 hours and 15 minutes, I ended up with a 6-pack of Sam Adams Winter Lager and a $36.00 bottle of Maker's Mark.

**** all of y'all.

Edited by The Shotfather

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

laugh.png

Despite its hilarity, I was always super confused by this song's existence. Titties outnumber wieners like 12-1 in this show, but somehow they created an entire song about male genitalia. Makes you wonder what they found important.

I feel like "Tiiiities, flopping tiiiiities, two beside a-noooother" would have made way more sense. But you know, no judgements.

Edited by The Shotfather

Last night the Jurassic World trailer came on, and I told my wife how awesome it looked. She remarked she didn't remember the last time she watched the original. So that's what we did tonight. While eating entirely too much chili.

My Black Friday >>>>>

Blu rays or did you catch the trilogy marathon that AMC has been running for the past 3 days?

It's weird that they keep showing a movie called Jurassic Park III, I'm pretty positive that never existed.

Blu rays or did you catch the trilogy marathon that AMC has been running for the past 3 days?It's weird that they keep showing a movie called Jurassic Park III, I'm pretty positive that never existed.

Regular DVD that belonged to dad. I'm trying to very slowly build up my blu Ray collection, but it's not cheap. Still have mostly DVDs. I'm more and more shocked at how bad the picture of regular dvd's is compared to bluray. I've got dad's DVD box set of the godfather trilogy and the picture quality is atrocious. It looks like I how imagine CBS did in 1987.

Yeah it's weird how bad DVD's look. I just recently watched Seven on DVD with a girl I've been seeing (who loves Brad Pitt, despite never seeing this movie or Legends of the Fall) and immediately wanted to stop watching it 10-minutes in because it looked so bad.

I read a recent article that said how those new 4K Ultra HD TVs are as high as visual technology will ever go. The human optical field can't detect a difference past the 4K Ultra. So I'm going to save up for one final bombass TV and entertainment system, and that's it. Cable companies aren't even broadcasting in 4K Ultra, and won't be for a couple of years. I'll wait 3-4 years until everything is in 4k to build my FINAL library.

Those door buster deals are always BS. They usually have maybe 1-5 of them in stock. They are usually much crappier than expected. I would not be surprised if the TV had a subpar panel that was at best 720p. I think you are better off without the TV. Some off brand companies are selling 40in 4K tvs for 400 dollars. I would bet that is a better bet than the TV you were looking for.

Edit:

Yeah it's weird how bad DVD's look. I just recently watched Seven on DVD with a girl I've been seeing (who loves Brad Pitt, despite never seeing this movie or Legends of the Fall) and immediately wanted to stop watching it 10-minutes in because it looked so bad.

I read a recent article that said how those new 4K Ultra HD TVs are as high as visual technology will ever go. The human optical field can't detect a difference past the 4K Ultra. So I'm going to save up for one final bombass TV and entertainment system, and that's it. Cable companies aren't even broadcasting in 4K Ultra, and won't be for a couple of years. I'll wait 3-4 years until everything is in 4k to build my FINAL library.

I guess no one told you about the new iMac, which has a 5k display. Technology is never going to stop growing. The pixel density of a 4k 50in tv is not more than the pixel density of a 1080p display on your phone. Some phone have pixel densities in the 500 range. The LG G3 has a 2K display on it. Plus the standard for 8K displays is already out. Monitors and TVs are going to get more dense. I think we are reaching a cap for phones, but tablets and Monitors, and TV sets are still a long ways out.

But I do love the plan for your final library. I have a similar plan, but I want a 4K projector as the center piece of my man cave.

What did she think of Seven? I feel that I know you well enough to not have to tell you that a positive reaction to that movie is a possible sign she's a keeper. Leaving on wax for 19 hours is a deal breaker, of course.

My wife doesn't like watching movies very often. She says I like to start them too late, like at 8:30.

What did she think of Seven? I feel that I know you well enough to not have to tell you that a positive reaction to that movie is a possible sign she's a keeper. Leaving on wax for 19 hours is a deal breaker, of course.

My wife doesn't like watching movies very often. She says I like to start them too late, like at 8:30.

Her 2 favorite movies are Silence of the Lambs and Memento, so she loved Seven. She also said that True Detective was "the best season of TV ever" (Despite never watching any TV series outside of Lost, Game of Thrones, and Boardwalk Empire). She's real into that noir/mind**** kind of detective stuff. She likes Alex Cross novels (Kiss the Girls, Along Came A Spider) and that new Gone Girl thing, so I'm detecting a bit of a pattern.

I think I might continue having intercourse with her. Right up until she poisons me with boiled grand-daddy long legs that she dried out on her driveway.

I guess no one told you about the new iMac, which has a 5k display. Technology is never going to stop growing. The pixel density of a 4k 50in tv is not more than the pixel density of a 1080p display on your phone. Some phone have pixel densities in the 500 range. The LG G3 has a 2K display on it. Plus the standard for 8K displays is already out. Monitors and TVs are going to get more dense. I think we are reaching a cap for phones, but tablets and Monitors, and TV sets are still a long ways out.

But I do love the plan for your final library. I have a similar plan, but I want a 4K projector as the center piece of my man cave.

Nah man I'm well aware of the fact that 4K+ exists, it's just that the article I read talked about how the human optical field can not detect a difference past what 4K offers. I mean 4K Ultra is clearer and brighter than real life.

I was chilling in the most badass recliner ever in Best Buy (built in sub-woofers in the bottom and speakers on either side of the head-rest) watching that Live. Die. Repeat. movie that used to be called Edge of Tomorrow when it was in theaters. I've never seen anything more vivid or clear in my life without eating 5g of mushrooms beforehand.

I figure you can't get any better than that.

wat

laugh.pnglaugh.png

She has a weird "exiled" aunt who has been to actual prison on 2 separate occasions. She claims to have learned from some of the women in there that you can dry out grand-daddy long legs and then boil them into a poison. Everybody makes fun of her for thinking that it's real.

It's super stupid that I would post an inside joke that only I would understand on this board, but uh..

VtRIt3t.gif

Nah man I'm well aware of the fact that 4K+ exists, it's just that the article I read talked about how the human optical field can not detect a difference past what 4K offers. I mean 4K Ultra is clearer and brighter than real life.

I was chilling in the most badass recliner ever in Best Buy (built in sub-woofers in the bottom and speakers on either side of the head-rest) watching that Live. Die. Repeat. movie that used to be called Edge of Tomorrow when it was in theaters. I've never seen anything more vivid or clear in my life without eating 5g of mushrooms beforehand.

I figure you can't get any better than that.

That sounds like the most amazing chair I have ever heard of. I will also note that just because one cannot tell the pixels apart does not mean the image cannot be crisper, but That is probably more important for text on a screen than a Movie. The difference is going to be more subtle than before, but some people will be able to tell a difference.

Bought a 60" UHD 4K Samsung today. Paid $2000 for a $4500 tv. Gonna be gud

Would truly hate to live where you live. Thanks to everyone starting on Thursday, my Friday was great. Went to Walmart at 6 am and grabbed everything I needed, came out by 6:30. Went back with my wife later on and it was still normal. Went to a few more stores and it was normal. Thanks Thursday sales

Why do people actually GO black friday shopping anymore? Lol. The only deal I saw that wasn't on the Internet as well was Best buys 50 inch Panasonic.

With that said I spent my Thanksgiving morning waking up every hour from 12-6 to try and catch a deal... Never happened.