Gm Candidates

brown bomber

Here is my short list, in no particular order.

Eric DeCosta- Best candidate. Has great experience and has been groomed by Ozzie Newsome.

Marc Ross- A smart organizer that can build a quality scouting staff. He is a no-nonsense kind of manager, in the vein of the NY Giants organization.

Lionel Vital- An in-house GM candidate that is often forgotten. He might be the best realistic choice for this franchise. He can pick talent and doesn't get tied up with mantras and BS. He knows Blank and has probably figured out how to handle the meddlesome owner.

Eliot Wolf- He was literally raised to be a GM. His father, Ron, was probably one of the best GM's in NFL history. Eliot is very young, but he is a boy genius at picking talent. He has trained under Ted Thompson, so he is probably a BPA guy. Eliot may not be ready to handle all of the business, but he is outstanding as a personnel guru. Hire him and have McKay handle the business until the boy wonder learns the ropes. One draw back: he would have to work with a meddlesome owner. Does he have the stones to set the old man straight?

Here is my short list, in no particular order.

Eric DeCosta- Best candidate. Has great experience and has been groomed by Ozzie Newsome.

Marc Ross- A smart organizer that can build a quality scouting staff. He is a no-nonsense kind of manager, in the vein of the NY Giants organization.

Lionel Vital- An in-house GM candidate that is often forgotten. He might be the best realistic choice for this franchise. He can pick talent and doesn't get tied up with mantras and BS. He knows Blank and has probably figured out how to handle the meddlesome owner.

Eliot Wolf- He was literally raised to be a GM. His father, Ron, was probably one of the best GM's in NFL history. Eliot is very young, but he is a boy genius at picking talent. He has trained under Ted Thompson, so he is probably a BPA guy. Eliot may not be ready to handle all of the business, but he is outstanding as a personnel guru. Hire him and have McKay handle the business until the boy wonder learns the ropes. One draw back: he would have to work with a meddlesome owner. Does he have the stones to set the old man straight?

Why would we want Vital when the players we scout never work out. He is the furthest thing from what I want

What is with all the shots at Blank lately for being a meddlesome owner. I have not visited tatf for a while, but when did this sentiment start to fester?

there was a post here a few days ago about why Parcell didn't take the job, and how he pushed for Pierless Price and Julio Jones. IDK.

What is with all the shots at Blank lately for being a meddlesome owner. I have not visited tatf for a while, but when did this sentiment start to fester?

Cooperbh started a thread, a few days ago, that reviews the short history of Blank's ownership. While no clear irrefutable evidence was produced, a series of circumstantial evidence was provided. The series of events points to a trend that implicates Blank as a meddlesome owner.

I am admittedly angry with this franchise and, as such, I am inclined to accept the notion that Arthur Blank, though well-intentioned, has meddled into football affairs to the detriment of the team.

Why would we want Vital when the players we scout never work out. He is the furthest thing from what I want

Vital is a highly respected personnel man. He offers his opinions but I am reasonably certain that he does not have final say. The personnel decisions have been mostly affected by Tommy's and Smitty's desires. As I mentioned earlier, I also suspect that Arthur has probably had more input into personnel choices than Vital.

If there is blame, it rests on the shoulders of Blank, Dimitroff and Smith.

For the love of God people stop asking us to hire people from ESPN.

You're making yourself look very stupid.

Let's look at this "ESPN" analyst's resume:

Bills: Ten years prior to his hire, the Bills had only two winning seasons. For the next 8 years (his tenure) they had 6 winning seasons including 4 Superbowl appearances.

Panthers: Polian was General Manager of the Panthers from 1994 to 1997.[7] He tried to create the quickest Super Bowl winner in history, and nearly did so, building a team that went to the NFC Championship Game in only its second year of existence. (Wikipedia)

Colts: - Ten years prior to his hire, Colts only had 4 winning season. For the next 15 years (his tenure) they had 11 winning seasons, every one of them being double digit wins and led to the playoffs. Oh yeah, 1 Superbowl win.

Now who looks stupid? If Polian is up for it, I'd be thrilled.

Edited by cnst

Vital is a highly respected personnel man. He offers his opinions but I am reasonably certain that he does not have final say. The personnel decisions have been mostly affected by Tommy's and Smitty's desires. As I mentioned earlier, I also suspect that Arthur has probably had more input into personnel choices than Vital.

If there is blame, it rests on the shoulders of Blank, Dimitroff and Smith.

I'll pass, you have head scouts for a reason