Falcons Related: Must Read "madden" By Bryan Burwell

MSalmon

How this Falcons related, you ask? In this book, which is an authorized biography, John Madden describes physical and mental external signs that a coach has "burned out." He describes his own "burnout " and most of you football historians, will recall that on air Madden stated that **** Vermeil, when with the Eagles, was exhibiting signs of burnout.

Highlights of madden's descriptions are:

1) facial expressions. The HC gets either overly demonstrative or worse a look of resignation during pressure moments

2) over 5 years in a place tends to be too long. Never more than 10 years. The coaches me assuage becomes stale

3) mental errors. Listed are timeouts in wrong places. Getting to "creative" when s play should be simple

4) refusal to adjust or over adjusting schemes. Often burnt out coaches either get overly creative...or just plain stubborn and doing the same thing over abe over when they don't work

5) inability to evolve with game. Madden had this. The game simply eve loved beyond him

6) gestures. Too many. Excessive arm waving..etc..

7) bottom line: the team looks disjointed and not in synch

Does Smitty fit into these categories? If madden we're broadcasting today, would he say Smitty was burnt out?

Regardless, great read about a great coach

I noticed a decline after his cardiac scare. This season, he certainly looks like a burn out.

I was impressed with Smitty's coaching during his early seasons, but after his health scare, he was not the same guy. For his own good, he needs to be relieved of his duties at the end of the season. He will bounce back after a year of rest.

Something tells me that his team has given up on him as well.

I don't agree. You don't scrap like this team has the last few games if you've given up on your coach. It's easy to lay down and get rolled over, the coaching staff just hasn't helped enough to close the deal on some of our winnable games.

I noticed a decline after his cardiac scare. This season, he certainly looks like a burn out.

I was impressed with Smitty's coaching during his early seasons, but after his health scare, he was not the same guy. For his own good, he needs to be relieved of his duties at the end of the season. He will bounce back after a year of rest.

I've been saying this for years.

Burned out after 7 seasons is pathetic.

Lol 7 years as a NFL coach has to have been stressful. Read the book I referenced, madden talks about the hours, the being apart from family, and intrusive owner.

Which btw I leftout blank.how much does he I volve hisself in football ops?